Author Topic: Port Union Strike  (Read 1824 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Port Union Strike
« on: October 01, 2024, 08:32:16 AM »
The East Coast port union is on strike. Pretty bad timing, considering the disaster. It will be interesting to see what the supply chain issues are.

This is another reason I think unions suck. They're always "Rah rah America! Support America and American workers!". If they really believed that, they would have postponed their strike for at least a couple of weeks, to allow for disaster mitigation, rather than adding fuel to the fire, which they are obviously doing in hopes of leveraging their position.

Among other things, they appear to be asking for $5/hr increases "across the board" for the next six years, as well as a total ban on port automation. From what I've been reading related to the strike, port automation in Japan and China is incredibly efficient and cost-effective. I'm thinking that's likely where the industry is heading internationally, so a ban in the US would be a pretty big albatross around our neck.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Port Union Strike
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2024, 08:39:55 AM »
What will be interesting to watch is how the Jill administration handles this and what effect this will have on the election if it has anywhere near the effect many are saying it will have on the supply chain.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2024, 08:41:25 AM »
What will be interesting is how the Jill administration will handle this and what effect this will have on the election if it has the effect many are saying it will have on the supply chain.

Last I saw on the news, Brandon said he's not getting involved.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2024, 08:42:37 AM »
I hope this hastens Port Automation.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2024, 08:45:30 AM »
Last I saw on the news, Brandon said he's not getting involved.

Perhaps publicly that's what they're saying but I would bet privately they're in panic trying to call in favors with the unions and pressuring the companies as they're probably worried what effect a sudden shortage of goods and spike in prices will have on the election if this goes on for any length of time. For the current admin the timing couldn't have been worse starting just a month before the election.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2024, 10:01:05 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2024, 08:48:29 AM »
Unions should be illegal

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2024, 09:43:38 AM »
Unions should be illegal

Public sector unions definitely.  Even FDR said as much.

Private sector unions though would be tricky to outlaw.  Freedom of association and all that.  But, universal "right to work" should happen. If you can't compel unions membership to have a job the unions have to provide tangible value.  That would weaken them tremendously.
Formerly sumpnz

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2024, 09:51:37 AM »
Among other things, they appear to be asking for $5/hr increases "across the board" for the next six years, as well as a total ban on port automation.

They're couching it primarily in terms of the former, but the latter is their ultimate goal. Even that is misleading. They're giving lip service to protecting jobs but what they're really doing is protecting their own asses. Automation-related declines in port staffing equals less money in the Union coffers and a significant reduction in their already-declining socioeconomic power/influence.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2024, 09:54:24 AM »
I think unions had their place and some validity a hundred years ago, but like so many groups, fell into, "Give them an inch, they take a mile" territory. When I was a young fella working at the county dump, I was in the public employees union there. Much of the reason was because I was just young and ignorant, some of it from peer pressure.

I worked at the dump for 5 years and lasted 2 in the union before I told them to get bent. Besides the fact that the shop steward was a jackass lazy bastard that took advantage of the union to benefit himself, the final straw for me was actually the union rep in the suit. He would come out every time there was an election and basically tell us (as in giving an order) who we had to vote for. Nobody tells me who or what to vote for. Being in a union was a small part of my life, but they wanted me to vote like it was my entire life, and even if voting their way would negatively impact my life, tough *expletive deleted*it - sacrifice for the union!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2024, 10:07:04 AM »
Unions should be illegal

Definitely. How dare they push for higher wages, decent medical care, and other random society benefits their members might ask for.

It’s obvious America is way better off since the decline of its unions today. I’m sure you’ve written your boss a thank you card for how good you have it, and would never be worried about telling him or other potential employers how poorly they manage their shops. Non union companies just make it so much more free to speak!
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2024, 10:25:10 AM »
This country relies way too much on imports
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2024, 10:32:35 AM »
This country relies way too much on imports

There is a re-shoring process underway.

Amazingly you can run a fully automated textile shop here now more cheaply than a sweatshop in Asia.
Formerly sumpnz

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2024, 10:37:12 AM »
Union supporters, I ask you this: Where's Jimmy Hoffa?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2024, 10:38:21 AM »
Union supporter: Where's Jimmy Hoffa?

With Elvis eating some biscuits and gravy at a DQ
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2024, 10:48:15 AM »

Definitely. How dare they push for higher wages, decent medical care, and other random society benefits their members might ask for.

It’s obvious America is way better off since the decline of its unions today. I’m sure you’ve written your boss a thank you card for how good you have it, and would never be worried about telling him or other potential employers how poorly they manage their shops. Non union companies just make it so much more free to speak!

I’m a man so unlike the union beta *let's not go there* I am perfectly capable of negotiating my employment terms myself as I have done my entire working life.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2024, 11:43:56 AM »

I’m a man so unlike the union beta *let's not go there* I am perfectly capable of negotiating my employment terms myself as I have done my entire working life.

My buddy at Boeing makes less than I do.  We're both stress engineers, both in the Puget Sound,  both 20+ years experience. He's represented by a union (SPEEA).  I'm not in a union.

Granted his health insurance is a better deal.  But otherwise my benefits are about the same.

I see zero value in SPEEA for him.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2024, 12:39:39 PM »

"Random society benefits". Like the demand for a ban on port automation. Port automation would benefit the rest of society, which they don't care about.

Chalk me up as another guy who did much better without a union. Unions are the chains of Harrison Bergeron.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2024, 12:40:52 PM »
Guy on another forum said people are loading their carts up at Costco like it's 2020 again
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2024, 12:51:42 PM »
Guy on another forum said people are loading their carts up at Costco like it's 2020 again

Another TP run like what happened during Covid….

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2024, 12:53:29 PM »

Just checked Sams, shows out
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2024, 12:56:58 PM »

Man, am I glad I just got a bidet.  =D

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2024, 01:20:23 PM »
Jesus, people are *expletive deleted*ing retarded panic monkeys.

Virtually ALL toilet paper used in the US is product in the United States and from US-sourced materials.

*expletive deleted*ing imbeciles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2024, 01:23:15 PM »
Jesus, people are *expletive deleted*ing retarded panic monkeys.

Virtually ALL toilet paper used in the US is product in the United States and from US-sourced materials.

*expletive deleted*ing imbeciles.

Made the same observation in the other forum
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2024, 01:34:54 PM »
With Elvis eating some biscuits and gravy at a DQ

Are they getting a to go bag for JFK?  ;)

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2024, 02:30:44 PM »
S2 Underground has some interesting comments on how this union is shooting themselves in the foot by having turned down a 50% raise, creating a situation that actually promotes port automation, and also is pretty much killing any goodwill they might have had by the union boss's statement about wanting the world to burn until they get what they want.

They had already lost me at turning down a 50% pay increase. That's the mafia, not a union.

https://youtu.be/oVh4YxvNtBI