Author Topic: Brown bear kills moose 20 feet from home  (Read 1491 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Brown bear kills moose 20 feet from home
« on: May 08, 2007, 03:20:23 PM »
Time to break out the big guns.

Brown bear kills moose 20 feet from home
" Kill caught on videotape, posted on YouTube
By Carey James
Homer Tribune
http://www.homertribune.com/article.php?bid=9000

Video of kill, #1 of 3.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElvHcaXKEgI&NR=1

Gary and Terri Lyon shot footage of a brown bear killing a full-size moose in their front yard Sunday morning. The footage can be seen on YouTube.

In the early morning hours of Sunday morning, Gary and Terri Lyon hear noises outside their East Skyline Drive home. Their dog often entertains other neighborhood canines on the deck, and at first, Gary thought that's what he was hearing.
But the cadence wasn't quite right. 
Gary got up, expecting to see a bear in the trash or a similar scene. He saw the bear all right, but the rest of the scene was beyond imagination.
Gary and Terri wound up with front-row seats as brown bear killed a full-grown moose less than 20 feet away from their home.
"I saw this wildlife spectacle of a full-grown brown bear on a moose and the moose fighting for its life," Gary recalled Monday, admitting he was still rattled by the incident.
The couple ran downstairs and got the dog (who was remarkably quiet) inside. Then they got their cameras out.
The bear worked the moose down the driveway and finally killed it.
"She tore apart the chest cavity, ripped out the heart and ate it," Gary said. "It was like she knew that's what kept it alive."
Meanwhile, the digital cameras clicked  and rolled  as the entire incident was documented in both still and video footage. The video footage is now viewable on YouTube (type in "moose kill driveway" into the YouTube search bar.)
It seemed like much longer at the time, but the couple estimates the entire episode took only 10 minutes. After only a few mouthfuls, the bear left the moose and ran into the woods. The bear had been looking that way throughout the kill, and Fish and Game officials told the Lyons they suspect she has a cub nearby.
"You got the sense that this bear would rather not have had this happen in our yard," Gary said. "It grabbed a big mouthful and left."
After the bear left, the Lyons called the troopers, who contacted the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Thomas McDonough responded, and the moose carcass was moved a half-mile down the road. It was then picked up by a charity that will harvest the meat.
Gary said McDonough watched the footage, and estimated the bear to be a 400- to 500-pound female. The bear's footprints measured some nine inches wide. And the wildlife biologist predicted the bear would be back.
"It had just lost its hard-won prize," Gary said, and the predictions were right. The bear returned that night around 8:30 p.m., and there were more tracks in the morning.
The Lyons have done everything they can to remove any items of interest to the bear, raking up the tufts of moose-hair and bloody soil and spraying the area with bleach. For her part, the bear has maintained a healthy respect for her neighbors, staying out of any man-made materials.
Even so, they Lyons have kept the door locked and have played it safe. They aren't going for walks on their property right now, and when they do go out, they make a lot of noise. Hopefully, the bear will lose interest, and the moose will be the only victim of the incident.
"I've lived here for almost 30 years, and I've never had to shoot anything out of defense of property," Gary said. "It was just doing its own thing that the species has done forever. Unfortunately it was in our yard."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Brown bear kills moose 20 feet from home
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 06:11:46 PM »
"She tore apart the chest cavity, ripped out the heart and ate it," Gary said. "It was like she knew that's what kept it alive."

Um, no, most predators tend to eat the viscera first because they instictively know they have nutrients they need...but that's not as poetic, I guess.  rolleyes

That said, I wouldn't walk around outside the house now, especially at night, without a solid hunting revolver loaded with big-game rounds...and have a rifle right inside the door.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 06:16:16 PM »
...and they know we're gonna "eminent" domain their kills out from under them.

If I was momma bear, I'd sue.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:37:09 AM »
Even so, they Lyons have kept the door locked and have played it safe.

That just cracks me up! grin

"Gary! That 500 pound bear is trying to break in through the back door!"

"Don't worry Teri, I locked the door! There's no way she'll get in!"

Bwahahahahahahaha!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 06:16:13 AM »
"The Lyons have done everything they can to remove any items of interest to the bear, raking up the tufts of moose-hair and bloody soil and spraying the area with bleach."

Bear: "Holy crap, what came along after me? It ate the whole moose!! And that urine tag, WHOAH."

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 01:59:41 PM »

Um, no, most predators tend to eat the viscera first because they instictively know they have nutrients they need...but that's not as poetic, I guess.  rolleyes

Actually, to my eye that's exactly what it looks like.  In the third video when she starts to feed, the sow pops open the ribcage, knocks some other stuff out of the way, and reaches deep inside the chest cavity to pull out something very dark red color.  The rule is--the bear eats whatever it wants to eat first.  They know what they like.  Maybe she needed the iron boost from the blood after hibernation.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 05:30:25 PM »
Squeally girlie-man leftist voice:" Well, I still don't see why people need to have guns! Just call the police."

Stand_watie

• friend
Anybody care to estimate the size of that bear and moose?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 07:31:56 PM »
Granted it probably looked a lot bigger up close to the moose, but it didn't even look very large for a brown bear to my completely untrained eye.

I wish the video had shown that bear taking down that moose, rather than the feeding afterword..I'd like to have seen exactly how it was done.

The Discovery (type) channels are chock full of programming of African lions killing big game, I'd like to see a show doing the same sort of thing with the big bears taking down big game. I have seen the polar bears doing their things with seals, and of course the grizzlies fishing.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 12:57:18 AM »
There's a YouTube video of an inland griz taking down a caribou in a stream (though it was labeled black bear killing a moose - stupid lower 48 children rolleyes )

Goes in over the antlers, controls the head, wrestles it to the ground.

The bear in that video and this one (a female) probably only goes 4-500 pounds.  The moose (in this one) is pushing a ton.  It'd be a hell of a fight.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 05:31:21 AM »

The bear in that video and this one (a female) probably only goes 4-500 pounds.  The moose (in this one) is pushing a ton.  It'd be a hell of a fight.

Wow. That's impressive.

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 05:24:08 PM »
There's a YouTube video of an inland griz taking down a caribou in a stream (though it was labeled black bear killing a moose - stupid lower 48 children rolleyes )

Goes in over the antlers, controls the head, wrestles it to the ground.

Son of a gun! Talk about 'ask and ye shall receive' timeliness. I just caught the last five minutes of an 'animal planet' production. It showed in the very last sequence a (again to my untrained eye) large grizzly running down an elk fawn and killing it.

They zoomed out and soft-peddled the kill itself, but the brief glimpse I caught looked about like a terrier killing a rat.

Observation - Grizzlies are fast! This 'fawn' (it was wearing a spotted coat, and hiding rather than grazing with the herd) looked quite a bit older and more agile than the spotted fawn aged white tailed deer I'm used to seeing. When the bear flushed it, it ran with good agility.

It looked like about a hundred yard chase, with multiple turnbacks and dodges ended by an unlucky (for the elk) jump into a fallen tree, but the bear was gaining steadily the whole run. I do not want EVER to have to run from a grizz...
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Dixie_Amazon

• “Oh God, it's her, run!
  • friend
    • Bayou Shooter
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 02:56:13 AM »
Very fast when they are feel like it, like an alligator, but they can maintain it longer.
In spite of their size, some have been clocked at speeds in excess of 56 km/h (35 mph). Along with their strength and deceptive speed, brown bears are legendary for their stamina. They are capable of running at full speed for miles at a time without stopping.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bear#Speed
Dennise
“Though I often run out of courage and good sense, stubbornness keeps me going.”
― Simon R. Green
http://www.BayouShooter.com

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 08:36:15 AM »
They balance the need for speed with the loss of reserves needed for hibernation and the risk of overheating.