Author Topic: More limits on free speech by the P.C police  (Read 5790 times)

glockfan.45

• friend
More limits on free speech by the P.C police
« on: May 17, 2007, 09:41:09 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2007-05-15-opie-anthony_N.htm?csp=34

McLEAN, Va. (AP)  XM Satellite Radio suspended shock jocks Opie and Anthony for 30 days Tuesday, one week after they aired crude sex comments about Condoleezza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth and one day after they made light of the incident in their broadcast.
"Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter," Washington-based XM said in a statement. "The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them."

Opie and Anthony, who last week apologized for the sex comments, struck a more defensive tone on Monday's broadcast. They lamented the state of radio and what they perceived as excessive reactions to comments made by themselves and other radio disc jockeys.

"We're under the same scrutiny as (National Public Radio)  it doesn't make sense," they said on Monday's show.

The pair also expressed sympathy for Don Imus, saying his career is now "gone, just because he was trying to entertain people."

FIND MORE STORIES IN: George W Bush | Hughes | Don Imus | XM Radio | CBS Radio | Opie and Anthony | Anthony Cumia
Last month, cable network MSNBC dropped its simulcast of Imus' show, then CBS Radio fired him for using racist and sexist terms to describe the Rutgers women's basketball team.

On May 9, Opie and Anthony, whose full names are Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, aired a segment with a man they call Homeless Charlie. As the names of Rice, Bush and the queen came up, Charlie said in vulgar terms that he would like to have sex with each of them.

Opie and Anthony laughed as they imagined Rice's "horror" while describing a violent sexual encounter in which Rice is punched in the face.

Opie and Anthony were fired by CBS Radio in 2002 after broadcasting a call from two listeners who said they were having sex in New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral.

XM hired the pair in 2004. Because the show airs on satellite radio, its content is not subject to regulation by the Federal Communications Commission.

Opie and Anthony also host a syndicated, tamer terrestrial radio program for CBS. Opie and Anthony will be on the air for that program as scheduled Wednesday morning, CBS Radio said Tuesday.

A call to Opie and Anthony's agent, Robert Eatman, was not immediately returned Tuesday.

A spokesman for XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. declined to say whether Opie and Anthony would be paid during their suspension, calling it a contractual matter.

Regardless of if your a fan of the show, or approve of the comments made this is scary stuff. Now even satellite radio is no longer safe. The disgusting thing about this is that XM didn't even wait for a special interest group to attack them over this. We need to stop running scared from the special interest groups, and take a stand against them. Its time to turn around and fight back, unless you support the P.C witch hunt taking place in he radio world. I doubt many here are fans of the Opie & Anthony program however  remember first it was Imus, then J.V & Elvis, now O&A. Hannity, Beck, Limbaugh are next (I think Glenn Beck is ripe for the picking with his constant anti-islamic rants). If you are an XM subscriber I urge you to take a stand against XM's decision and cancel your subscription. XM promised uncensored radio, and went back on that promise with O&A's suspension, and likely termination.

If you are an XM customer cancel, and be sure to tell them why. Send XM a message that you do not support their joining the ranks of the P.C Police. Please take a moment to visit this site http://www.peopleagainstcensorship.org/ and find out how you can help defend free speech and turn the tables on people like Al Sharpton, Jesse jackson and the rest of those who seek to limit our rights. If you do call to cancel tell them you will be back when O&A are back, and XM decides to uphold its promise of delivering uncensored radio to it's customers. Do not take their 30 day credit they are offering. Canceling your subscription hurts them more, and drives the point home.
A new place to disuss all things firearms related
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: More limits on free speech by the P.C police
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:01:26 AM »
I canceled my subscription in 2004 partly because they kept dropping or modifying the programming that attracted me to XM in the first place and partly because they hired O&A. 

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:05:28 AM »
Nothing the Constitution says about free speech says anything about someone else being obligated to provide you with a soap box to stand on and mouth off from.

Someone else's soapbox, someone else's rules. Get your own soap box if you don't want to be "censored."

(Now, if it was THE GOVERNMENT that forced XM to remove O&A, that would be a different story.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:35:15 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think there's any censorship in this situation.  Imus and these other two nobodies broadcast reprehensible content, and deserve to lose their jobs.  If you want a radio service that will broadcast anything and everything, then start your own and quit whining.   
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:43:12 AM »
Nothing the Constitution says about free speech says anything about someone else being obligated to provide you with a soap box to stand on and mouth off from.

Someone else's soapbox, someone else's rules. Get your own soap box if you don't want to be "censored."

(Now, if it was THE GOVERNMENT that forced XM to remove O&A, that would be a different story.)

Its not about the first amendment so much as its about, standing up to the assault on radio programing, by special interest groups. While XM is a privately owned company they promised me as a potential customer that they would provide uncensored content. Now they have broken their promise to me, and their customers by censoring their content.

I canceled my subscription in 2004 partly because they kept dropping or modifying the programming that attracted me to XM in the first place and partly because they hired O&A.  

Chris

Like I said its not about if you like Opie and Anthony, but rather about sending the message that this new witch hunt will not be tolerated. I can't stand Bill O'Reilly, but if he were fired for the type of commentary he regulary makes on his program for fear of drawing the wrath of special interest groups I would defend him. Why you would cancel because they added O&A is beyong me. If you don't like it don't listen. XM has Air America with Al Franken, and Ed Schultz whom I can't stand. I did not cancel because of that, I just didnt listen.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 10:47:22 AM »
Just for clarity's sake...

Were Opie & Anthony's free speech rights being quashed by the PC Police when they were fired for broadcasting the couple having sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NY City?

Sounds to me like, in all cases, they're being either fired or disciplined for being consumate, complete idiots.

If you can't stand the sun's effects, Icharus, don't fly so damned close to it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 10:47:29 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think there's any censorship in this situation.  Imus and these other two nobodies broadcast reprehensible content, and deserve to lose their jobs.  If you want a radio service that will broadcast anything and everything, then start your own and quit whining.    

Who made you the judge of whats fit to broadcast? Yes fistful we all have the money to start our own radio stations  rolleyes . I didnt come here to appeal to a fan base of the show. I came here thinking that people here had enough common sense to see how this new trend in attacking radio personalities for expressing their views is a dangerous thing.

Just for clarity's sake...

Were Opie & Anthony's free speech rights being quashed by the PC Police when they were fired for broadcasting the couple having sex in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NY City?

Sounds to me like, in all cases, they're being either fired or disciplined for being consumate, complete idiots.

If you can't stand the sun's effects, Icharus, don't fly so damned close to it.

No their station was bullied by the Catholic Leauge, and Bill Donahue into firing the two. This was inspite of popular demand that the two stay on the air. NBCs ratings dropped as a result afterwards. This is about not allowing the majority to be ruled by the minority.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:51:43 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think there's any censorship in this situation.  Imus and these other two nobodies broadcast reprehensible content, and deserve to lose their jobs.  If you want a radio service that will broadcast anything and everything, then start your own and quit whining.    

Who made you the judge of whats fit to broadcast? Yes fistful we all have the money to start our own radio stations  rolleyes . I didnt come here to appeal to a fan base of the show. I came here thinking that people here had enough common sense to see how this new trend in attacking radio personalities for expressing their views is a dangerous thing.

Hum...

Seems to be that you're willing accepting that mantle by apparently contending that anything that spews forth from anyone's mouth at any time, in any manner, in any format, should somehow be Constitutionally protected and without repercussions of any kind.

B.

S.

You're confusing two things...

O&A aren't being punished for expressing their views.

They're being punished for HOW they expressed their views.

Two totally different things.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 10:57:05 AM »
I have no idea who Opie & Anthony are, but I do remember XM using "uncensored radio" as one of their selling points.  If I liked that sort of thing and paid whatever they charge a month to hear it, I'd be mad if XM started dropping shows because of comments made on them.  As it is, I have never even had a CD player in a vehicle, and satellite radio for me is about as likely as a lunar landing (in my Toyota).  I'm happy when my regular radio works.  smiley
For entertainment purposes only.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »
So, in other words, if someone expresses A CONTRARY opinion, they're not exercising their free speech rights; they're BULLYING?

Catholics can't have opinions? Bill Donahue can't have an opinion? The owners of the radio station where O&A broadcast their show can't have an opinion?

Jesus wept.

What a tortured, convoluted, argument you've made. You can only have an opinion, or a 'free speech' position, if you're a very, very small minority of the total population. If someone else disagrees with you, they're bullying you in an attempt to shut you up.

IIRC, O&A had a about a million listeners daily in NYC and the NY Metro area when they were fired. Powerful juju. Then again, there are more church going Catholics than that in NYC and the NY Metro area.

Oh, and by the way. That station's ratings went down for one reason, and one reason only... With O&A fired, the ONLY show they had was Ron and Fez. Of course their ratings would go down. WNBC tried desparately to fill the gaps -- they even gave Eddie Van Halen his own show for awhile. Disaster. So they fired him. Maybe they were violating his free speech rights, too.

allmons

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 11:06:54 AM »
Uncensored speech is one thing, but misogynisitc speech has to go. "Joking" about rape is as hurtful as the " N" word. There is no reason - ever - to joke about rape, child molestation or lynchings. Free speech is fine, but once you decide to step over the line, don't be surprised if you discover that you are trampling someone else's rights.

The government did not censor Opie and Anthony - the marketplace registered outrage. That is MY right to free speech.

Like Imus, just more wannabe's with no talent.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
"That is MY right to free speech."

BULLY! YOU BULLYING BULLY! YOU CRUSHER OF FREE SPEECH!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
I dont have satellite radio so dont care what they broadcast.  Obviously the owners/managers did care and thought it would hurt the station.  So they acted in the station's interest and suspended them.  Sounds like a business decision to me.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Chris

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 11:18:29 AM »
Okay, the First Amendment...(reaching across the bench for the copy of the Constitution kept there)...It says that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of  the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress f grievances."

Where's the violation?  A private employer punished these employees for an action they took.  
No Government action.  No problems.

As for media types firing these people because of advertising/public pressure, well that's the nature of the beast.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 11:22:35 AM »
Okay, the First Amendment...(reaching across the bench for the copy of the Constitution kept there)...It says that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of  the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress f grievances."

Where's the violation?  A private employer punished these employees for an action they took.  
No Government action.  No problems.

As for media types firing these people because of advertising/public pressure, well that's the nature of the beast.

Bully enabler!

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 11:28:40 AM »
So, in other words, if someone expresses A CONTRARY opinion, they're not exercising their free speech rights; they're BULLYING?

Catholics can't have opinions? Bill Donahue can't have an opinion? The owners of the radio station where O&A broadcast their show can't have an opinion

Nope I never said that, and it is not very prudent to try and make that argument with me. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and views. Not you, not I, not the Catholic League, Bill Donahue, no idividual, or intrest group has the right to decide what goes on the air. The majority public was against their firing then, but NBC caved to pressure from a small group that was not speaking for the majority.

What a tortured, convoluted, argument you've made. You can only have an opinion, or a 'free speech' position, if you're a very, very small minority of the total population. If someone else disagrees with you, they're bullying you in an attempt to shut you up.

Once again everybody has the right to free speech. However demanding something be removed because it offends you is counter intuitive to freedom of speech. Demanding silence from those you disagree with is counter intuitive (i.e what the Catholic Leauge did). Using your right to free speech to attack anothers right to free speech is low plain andd simple.

Uncensored speech is one thing, but misogynisitc speech has to go. "Joking" about rape is as hurtful as the " N" word. There is no reason - ever - to joke about rape, child molestation or lynchings. Free speech is fine, but once you decide to step over the line, don't be surprised if you discover that you are trampling someone else's rights.

What gives you the right to decide what must go in radio? Their comments regarding the Queen, Laura Bush, and Condi Rice hurt nobody. If you dont like it turn the station.

The government did not censor Opie and Anthony - the marketplace registered outrage. That is MY right to free speech.

Actually XM has recieved mass cancellations from their suscribers over thier suspension. I would say the marketplace has registered outrage alright. XM didnt make this decision based on what suscribers wanted, they made it in fear of small groups of people that can't understand we live in a free country that provides you no right to not be offended.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 11:31:34 AM »
The High Road XM Satellite Radio is private property and requests that members hosts adhere to all forum XM Satellite Radio policies. It is a contract agreed to by all who use The High Road XM Satellite Radio. Those who break the rules cannot invoke censorship or freedom of speech - a contract broken is a contract broken. If you do not like the rules of conduct or the acceptable topics, seek out a new venue or start your own board satellite radio outfit.

Who made you the judge of whats fit to broadcast?
What makes you the judge?  Ownership, but neither of us have it.  O and A and Imus felt the heat of popular disapproval and market forces.  Why do you think Zumbo lost his job?  Was he censored?  No, he simply ceased pleasing his sponsors.  Same thing here. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 11:37:15 AM »
But Zumbo was critical of guns and gun owners.  The rules don't apply to his situation...

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 11:38:58 AM »
Using your right to free speech to attack anothers right to free speech is low plain andd simple.
But that didn't happen.  No one is attacking their right to speak.  They can publish a book or hold a meeting to express themselves anytime they like.  But they don't have a right to use XM's equipment, they use it at the pleasure of those that own and manage the system.  Just like you and I babble here at the pleasure of Oleg Volk, the owner of this site.  If you want O and A back on the air, then apply more pressure to XM than is coming from the other side.  Like you said, you can't afford to start your own satellite radio system.  And I can't afford my own radio station to broadcast my views.  Oh well. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 11:44:34 AM »
. . . Yes fistful we all have the money to start our own radio stations  rolleyes
Good for you, then you can give O&A a prime-time slot on YOUR network. Problem solved.  rolleyes
. . . this new trend in attacking radio personalities for expressing their views is a dangerous thing.
Nothing "new" about media types hurting their careers by saying or doing the wrong thing at the wrong time; they can say what they want, but nobody has to listen OR provide a forum.

Plus, consider . . . while radio personalities & other celebs have a right to free speech, the rest of us do, too. So if we don't want to listen to O&A or attend Jane Fonda movies or buy Dixie Chicks albums, we have a right to not do so. If we want to tell the broadcaster's sponsors that we won't patronize them if they continue to broadcast someone we find objectionable, we have a right to do THAT as well.

See, we have free speech, too . . . so long as it's not the government deciding by legislative fiat what is "allowable" free speech (outside of very narrowly defined limits) I don't see a problem.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »
The High Road XM Satellite Radio is private property and requests that members hosts adhere to all forum XM Satellite Radio policies. It is a contract agreed to by all who use The High Road XM Satellite Radio. Those who break the rules cannot invoke censorship or freedom of speech - a contract broken is a contract broken. If you do not like the rules of conduct or the acceptable topics, seek out a new venue or start your own board satellite radio outfit.

And the rules of XM were not violated by O&A. I entered as a customer with the understanding that some stations would broadcast vile and vulgar comments.

What makes you the judge?  Ownership, but neither of us have it.  O and A and Imus felt the heat of popular disapproval and market forces.  Why do you think Zumbo lost his job?  Was he censored?  No, he simply ceased pleasing his sponsors.  Same thing here.

But Zumbo was critical of guns and gun owners.  The rules don't apply to his situation...

Chris

Zumbo was fired because he **** where he ate. O&A were fired due to pressure from a group that were not their target audience. If you dont like it turn it off, its that simple. Zumbos speech was a threat to others rights, what O&A did hurt nobody.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 12:02:18 PM »
What special interest group got them taken off the air this time?  So far, it sounds like an internal XM affair.  As the owners/managers of the service, they have the right to manage the content of their service.  Seems to me that O&A **** where they ate as well. 

Chris

glockfan.45

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 12:13:30 PM »
What special interest group got them taken off the air this time?  So far, it sounds like an internal XM affair.   
Chris

No group claims to be resposible at this time. This was a preemptive move by XM in fear of possible outcries. That is the state of things today sadly, broadcasters have to fear their own shadows. Just wait, if we allow this sort of thing to continue more, and more will follow suit. Say goodbye to any political talk show, that doesnt embrace liberal ideology.

As the owners/managers of the service, they have the right to manage the content of their service.  Seems to me that O&A **** where they ate as well.
Chris

Not in this case they don't. They have a responsibilty to provide their customers with uncensored radio as promised when I signed up. They did not **** where they ate. They did as they have done since 2004 when they first came on the air with XM. The only thing that has changed is we allowed special interest groups to claim a victory with Imus. The comment that got them suspended/fired was mild compared to comments I have heard on the show in the past.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 12:34:29 PM »
Glockfan, I hadn't thought about it like that before.  What if we wake up in a world where a guy on the radio, ever so innocently, jokes about raping my wife.  Then he calls her a "ho" and suddenly, his sponsors all run scared and he gets fired.  That is a hideous thing to imagine.

I'd rather live in Glockfan's world, where hosts can talk freely about raping women, shooting all the darkies, or just sexually molesting the children of their audience members.  And since it doesn't really hurt anybody, the ones who pay the bills just have to like it. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 12:39:03 PM »
Oh, I forgot.  They promised you uncensored radio.  I don't think you understand what that means.  It is "uncensored," in that it is not subject to FCC regulations.  That's probably what they were promising you, and that is exactly what you are getting.  In real terms, no one here has been censored. 

But if they meant to promise you uncensored radio, anything goes, everyone who comes on the air is allowed to say anything that enters their minds without recompense, "Hey, the CEO's wife is hot, right?  Man her ________ looks fine."  Well, in that case, it was a stupid thing to promise.