Author Topic: Cicadas!!  (Read 6238 times)

Ron

Cicadas!!
« on: May 25, 2007, 11:48:32 AM »
The invasion is in full swing, the 17 year Cicadas are out in numbers and still coming.

First they crawl out of the ground and leave their shell behind.

On the house

and on the trees

There are more of these things buzzing around my house, in my lawn, on my trees and getting squished on the sidewalk than you could imagine.
The noise has begun and will only get louder.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Cicadas!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 11:57:12 AM »
What eats them and how do we make more?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ron

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:03:55 PM »
What eats them and how do we make more?

Anything that eats insects eats them. The birds will be so stuffed in a couple days they will start ignoring them. They are a bounty for insect eating insects, birds and mammals.

They are also a huge source of fertilizer for trees and plants after they die off.

They are on a 17 year cycle so this is the third time I've seen them, the first time I was really young. Actually scientists still have a lot of questions about them, they are hard to study with such a long bizarre life cycle.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:07:53 PM »
So they pop up, sing their little songs, make a little love and then die.  And 17 years later their descendents do it all over again?

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Ron

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 12:10:51 PM »
So they pop up, sing their little songs, make a little love and then die.  And 17 years later their descendents do it all over again?

Exactamundo! 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »
They are horrifying.  Several years ago, they came up in our yard, ALL OVER IT!  Disgusting, naked, bug-eyed freaks!  I hid in the house for a week. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 12:26:06 PM »
They are kind of like insect zombies. There are just way too many of them...

Around here, ours pop up every 13 years, I think. When they come out, they come out. Filling every tree, making thier damned sound so that you can't sleep at night. Driving results in a heavily splattered windshield.

They are cool to see the first time, then they get really, really annoying.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 02:24:15 PM »
Sounds like you guys are missing a golden culinary opportunity.

Cicada Tacos

Adult Cicadas can be eaten as well as Cicada Larvae. You should pick mature femalesyou’re your dish. Adult Cicada males have hollow abdomens and not much of a meat, but the female Cicadas are filled with lots of fat. Before you start your cooking you need to remove all the hard parts: wings, legs and head. These parts don’t contain much of the meat either but may be very sharp, so its best to get rid of them.

You will need: two tablespoons butter or peanut oil, one and a half pound of cicadas, two serrano chilies, raw, finely chopped, one tomato, finely chopped, one onion, finely chopped, one and a half table spoon ground pepper, one and a half table spoon cumin, three table spoon taco seasoning mix, one handful cilantro, chopped, Taco shells, Sour cream, Shredded cheddar cheese, Shredded lettuce.

All you need to do now is:
1. Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and fry the cicadas for 10 minuts, or until cooked through.
2. Remove from pan and roughly chop into 1/4-inch cubes/ Place back in pan.
3. Add the chopped onions, chilies and tomato, season with salt, and fry for another 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
4. Sprinkle with ground pepper, cumin and oregano to taste.
5. Serve in taco shells and garnish with cilantro, sour cream, lettuce and cheddar cheese.

Source: http://recipe.cicadayear.com/
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 02:26:55 PM »
We have plenty of them every year.  Some are fierce and will attack whenever you walk by them.  I had a dog that loved to catch and eat them.

Nice pics.
For entertainment purposes only.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 04:34:06 PM »
There are some species that come out every year, but then there are the species that come out in the 17 year intervals.

But they are all annoying

Sounds like you guys are missing a golden culinary opportunity.

Cicada Tacos

You first.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 04:50:58 PM »
They invaded Northern Virginia a year or two ago.  I thought their droning was bad enough, but the stench from the rotting carcasses was horrible.

Chris

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 05:27:56 PM »
What would you use to fend off the invasion? I have a 375 H&H Magnum. That would not be overkill would it? I usually reserve this gun for those pesky chipmunks. (OK, only kidding about the chipmunks).
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 11:04:30 PM »
Some folks are happy about it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18871431/

James Fitzer

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 03:30:17 AM »
we have some over here... out at the little outpost i was at last summer. We called them bugzilla, and purposely DIDNT kill camel spiders, hoping they'd eat the cicadas

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 05:41:49 AM »
They make excellent targets for BB guns.

I remember shooting them every summer in Texas.  Must be a different species, since I didn't have to wait 17 years.  The ones in TX were green, too.

Anywho, a kid can spend a whole afternoon hunting cicadas.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 10:47:10 AM »
I'm just picturing someone having had enough, running around their yard with a Saiga 12 loaded with target/birdshot, yelling "shut up! shut up!"...  grin

Hugh Damright

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
I heard them for the first time when I was a little boy ... it was sort of a buzzing noise that seemed to come from everywhere ... I asked my big brother what that noise was ... he told me that it was "God shaving".  undecided

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 12:27:53 PM »
I'm just picturing someone having had enough, running around their yard with a Saiga 12 loaded with target/birdshot, yelling "shut up! shut up!"...  grin

Very dangerous when they're on a major cycle.  I'd hate to see what would happen to the person who had 20 million 2" flying bugs attack...

Chris

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 12:30:42 PM »
Posted by: Manedwolf
Insert Quote

Been there done that grin But they were crows.  Nothing more satisfying then listening to them drop from the trees. rolleyes
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »
I just have to ask....wth does an "attack" detail? lol
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 01:29:43 PM »

They all stand their ground while Chris tries to ride through them at full speed on his bike.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
I'm just picturing someone having had enough, running around their yard with a Saiga 12 loaded with target/birdshot, yelling "shut up! shut up!"... 

You go ahead and walk around in them.  I'll be taking off and nuking the site from orbit. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 05:03:19 PM »
I'm just picturing someone having had enough, running around their yard with a Saiga 12 loaded with target/birdshot, yelling "shut up! shut up!"... 

You go ahead and walk around in them.  I'll be taking off and nuking the site from orbit. 

Well, that is the only way to be sure...

crt360

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 05:29:16 PM »

I think they start by clawing your eyeballs out.  Oh, wait, that's the Mexican black vulture.
For entertainment purposes only.

Ron

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 08:54:26 PM »
Just got home from my buddies (watched Chuck get knocked out on PPV) and the whole back of my house is covered in new shells. The rain must have activated more of them.

It is getting kind of gross.