Author Topic: What is Firefly?  (Read 14153 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: What is Firefly?
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2007, 06:54:16 PM »
I think we can all see that the Bible can be a symbol. 

Perhaps when she tore out the pages, she was reacting to the Bible as a symbol of something she disliked.  Then later, she realized that, symbol or not, she had no right to mess with the man's property.  Or something. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2007, 10:59:22 PM »
Just a minor question: could y'all be over-analyzing this whole thing?

Step away from the Big Red Button...

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2007, 05:09:32 AM »

What, us over-analyze something?  Never!  shocked
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2007, 06:19:35 AM »
could y'all be over-analyzing this whole thing
I hope so.  Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.   cheesy

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2007, 09:38:58 AM »

I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of subliminal or ulterior motive to this post?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2007, 09:46:55 AM »

I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of subliminal or ulterior motive to this post?

<Sarcasm><Thread drift>

I think there is a subliminal message.  So I put "Big Red Button" into google and hit I'm feeling lucky. This is the page that resulted.

Clearly this is a conspiracy against my productivity at work.  Since I am an American, I will use my superior powers of inductive reasoning to conclude that your post is designed to reduce the productivity of ALL Americans.   angry

</Sarcasm></Thread drift>

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2007, 01:51:16 PM »
OK, I ate up the first disk of Firefly.  Will go crazy and Reaver myself until I get more.  More!  More!  No mercy!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2007, 02:15:49 PM »
It's OK, folks.  Some kind person sent me the full series today.  The wife likes the show, too.  She said:  "It's not too science-fictiony."  That was just before we realized that Serenity had a hold full of cattle.  (Shindig)

smiley

Gentlemen, there is some definite progress.  I went out tonight to run a few errands, and when I came home, she was

wait for it

Watching Firefly!  Happy, happy, joy, joy!!

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2007, 10:15:53 PM »
Welcome to the fold, Mr. & Mrs. Fistful. You two are now officially Browncoats.  smiley
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

SomeKid

« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2007, 10:35:19 PM »
If nothing else I love the Browncoats reference.

Don't know if it did this with anyone else, but it always brings back the idea of the Reds vs the Whites (Soviet Civil War, where the evil communist types also won).

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2007, 02:12:46 PM »
Actually, it's a direct analogy to the US Civil War.  Instead of "bluebellies" you have "purplebellies."  Instead of butternut you have brown.  I believe Whedon has said flat out it's inspired by the US civil war but without slavery as an issue.  Combine that with some strong Western themes and plotlines from Blake's 7 and you've got Firefly. 

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2007, 07:36:19 AM »
Those of you watching Firefly for the first time might be interested in knowing that there is a followup movie to the story.  Firefly was broadcast in 2002, and the movie Serenity (not the pilot episode) came out in 2005.  It's darker and faster paced than the series, but very good.  It closes up one of the Firefly story arcs.

I would advise that you do not read amateur movie reviews before you see it.  They tend to give away some key surprises.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2007, 05:34:54 PM »
Yes but that time in the movie when River....

Ah nevermind.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

client32

• friend
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »

Ah nevermind.

I thought that was pretty cool myself.   grin

"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."  (it was in the trailer so I think I am safe.)
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2007, 01:24:22 PM »
Let's put it this way- the movie has some big suprises and closes up a loose end...

And, Target had the Firefly set on sale for $17.99 last week, which is when I picked up my set. The movie costs $15. Get both, if you haven't already...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2007, 10:24:36 PM »
Me:
It closes up one of the Firefly story arcs. ... They tend to give away some key surprises.

You:
Let's put it this way- the movie has some big suprises and closes up a loose end...

You must have me set to "ignore".   laugh

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2007, 11:36:50 AM »
Welcome to the fold, Mr. & Mrs. Fistful. You two are now officially Browncoats.

Thanks, and yes we certainly are.  We couldn't help but watch every episode over the course of just a few days.  We spent about two hours at Borders today, enough time for me to finish reading the Firefly Official Companion, Vol. 2.  They didn't have Vol. 1.  Well, OK, I didn't read the scripts, but I read all the interviews and articles about the cast and crew, and such as that.  Sad, I know.  Even worse, I remember thinking it should have been called the Registered Companion.   smiley

Shucks, I've already watched some of the episodes with commentary.  Which is funny stuff, except for Joss Whedon's heavy-handed ponderings over "Objects in Space."  Ooh, look, River stands on the railings.  That must mean she's an existentialist.   shocked

And since I'm officially a Browncoat, I should go ahead and state for the record that I think Kaylee is the prettiest.   cheesy

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2007, 04:55:57 PM »
Firefly DVD set Easter egg :
1. Boot up Disk 4.
2. Select Special Features.
3. Highlight Joss Sings the Firefly Theme.
4. Hit the DVD controller left arrow; the curly graphic on the left side of the screen should change from white to yellow.
5. Hit the DVD controller Play key.

Adam Baldwin sings Hero of Canton.

Serenity DVD Easter egg :
1. Highlight Bonus Materials.
2. Hit the DVD controller left arrow; the wedge on the right side of the screen (at the 9 oclock position) will enable.
3. Click the wedge.

Some background info on how the Fruity Oaty Bar advertisement was created.

Firefly theme on Serenity DVD :
I've read people were disappointed that the theme song from the Firefly series doesn't show up in Serenity. Actually, it does. At the end of the credits at the end of the movie, the movie theme segues into an acoustical guitar version of the Firefly theme song. Very cool; very poignant. I'm reminded how good the music was in Firefly. My favorites are the music all through Out of Gas and at the funeral at the end of The Message. By the way, don't fast-forward through the credits to get to the Firefly theme. The closing theme for the movie, played all through the credits, is fantastic in its own way.

Chinese-to-English translation of much of the Chinese phrases spoken and written is here. It's your chance to find out who invited someone to "engage in a feces hurling contest with a monkey." Not very lady-like. 
http://fireflychinese.home.att.net/

Props from the movie:
http://www.propstore.com/list/cat_id...b/itm/movs/877

Most informative Firefly site:
http://www.fireflywiki.org/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2007, 05:56:35 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #119 on: July 04, 2007, 06:08:40 PM »
That's excellent.  I hadn't seen that one.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2007, 05:50:47 AM »
Well, this is cool.  It's a video showing the Firefly and Serenity DVD sets going up in the last shuttle launch to the Space Station.  The first 2/3 shows the shuttle "breaking atmo" with the Serenity movie theme song in the background.  The end of the video shows the astronauts displaying the DVD disks in zero-g.

http://www.breakingatmo.com/status/2007/07/the-video

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2007, 07:49:03 AM »

Ah nevermind.

I thought that was pretty cool myself.   grin

"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."  (it was in the trailer so I think I am safe.)

"Are you all right?"  "I ate a............."  grin
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
Just in case someone hasn't seen it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_A5NNWxUt4
Firefly/Serenity footage, set against Waren Zevon's "Renegade". Good stuff.
Hi.

Strings

« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2007, 03:20:21 PM »
Ok... the "Big Red Button" reference is from my time in IC A School. Means y'all are "nuking" a topic...

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »
Sci-Fi Channel is having another Firefly marathon on tomorrow, Friday, August 10, from 8am to 4pm (possibly depending on your time zone).  Episodes 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.

Hope I'm not posting this too late (I worked late tonight and just got home), but for some reason the east coast and midwest folks go to bed a couple hours early !   cheesy