Author Topic: Are there any fly fishermen?  (Read 1154 times)

nico

• friend
Are there any fly fishermen?
« on: June 23, 2007, 06:26:49 PM »
I bought a St. Croix Imperial 9 foot 7wt fly rod almost two years ago with plans that a guy I worked with at the time was going to teach me how to fly fish.  That ended up falling through, and although I took a clinic on casting, I'm just about clueless about choosing flies or finding a place to fish.  I know of a few rivers in my area that have mostly trout and small mouth bass, and there are a couple other places to go for carp.  I'd love to hear any tips or links from experienced (or inexperienced for that matter) fly fishermen.  If there's a good book I should read, that'd be great too.

drewtam

• friend
Re: Are there any fly fishermen?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 06:34:10 PM »
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 04:16:18 AM »
Go to your nearest bluegill pond with your fly rod. On a 12" leader, tie on a small foam spider (the kind with the thin elastic legs).

Cast along the banks. One the spider hits the water, let it sit for a minute, and then give it a twitch. BLOOSH!

'Gills love those little spiders. I have a few that look like frogs and some that look like crickets but they like the spiders best.

I have taken home a boatload of fish doing this when everyone else has struck out. It's also about as much fun as you're ever going to have with your pants on!
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 04:24:26 AM »
What Gris said, + read a little and stick with the tried and true trout-patterns at the start. I spent hours learning to cast, then hit my favorite stream, A creek really. Not room for much fancy casting, a little roll-cast and anything else to get some line out. I've only caught a few trout, but it a HOOT!

Hit the water and talk to any other flyfishers you meet. Most are willing to help. I seem to have best luck with little dark nymphs (that's a fishing fly/insect, guys!) even after they get ratty-looking.

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 05:01:49 AM »
Talk to other flyfishers, and stop in at the local flyshop wherever you go to fish. Those guys WANT you to catch fish, so they'll put you onto the right pattern, technique, and places to hit for the time of year. My favorite fishing spot is the Eastern Sierras and though I know the area well, I still make it a point to stop in the flyshop whenever I go there, buy a few recommended flies, and get the lowdown on the current fishing conditions and hotspots.

Have fun -- it took me until I was 30 to get into flyfishing, but it's my favorite kind of fishing now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 05:07:27 AM »
Yep, start with blue gills the small spider or a small popper will work great- lots of fun!

Most of my fly fishing is for bass. I use typical bass bugs that are tied in a frog or a mouse pattern (don't ask me how to tie them, my dad ties a dozen or so for me every year and gives them to me for Christmas Smiley )  When I fish for bass,I'm normally in a boat and run it 20-30 yards from the shore or other structure. If the water is clear, I fish by sight- cast fly in front of bass that are cruising the shore line. If the water is murky, I cast near structure and vigorously strip the bug in- it should make a lot of noise in the water. Keep the slack out of your like and be ready to set the hook- the bass will hit fast and hard and will surprise you.

The only problem with bass bugs, is you need to find on that is small enough to cast or you need to buy a line that has a 'Bass Taper.' Unlike fishing with a spinning rod, the bigger and heavier the lure you're casting with a fly rod, the more difficult it is to cast.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 07:01:26 AM »
I already get enough flies without having to fish for them.   smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

nico

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 09:23:08 AM »
thanks for the replies.  Is it safe to assume that I could successfully fish for bass or blue gill from the shore?  I'd like to give fly fishing a try and make sure I like it without having to blow a couple hundred bucks on waders. 

Also, how do you guys pick a spot to fish (ie: a good place along the shore)?  I'm sure that's a really dump question, but I have zero experience fresh water fishing.  I'm used to salt water fishing on a boat, where you ride around a general area until you see fish on the fish finder.  I've been salt water fishing since I was big enough to hold a rod, so freshwater fly fishing is completely alien to me smiley

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 09:43:04 AM »
This time of year, go in the morning or late afternoon when it's not too hot. When the sun gets high and the temperature starts to rise, fish tend to head for deeper, cooler water.

'Gills tend to hang out near shady spots by the banks, particularly in the spring when they are spawning. Structure is good for just about any fish (think fallen trees, a point that juts out into the water, etc.) One of the best crappie fishing spots I ever found was over an old shopping cart that was next to an old refrigerator!

I tend to make a dozen or so casts at a likely looking spot before moving on, unless I know for sure there's fish.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 06:07:51 AM »
Best times for bass are the 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunrise and that the 1/2 of twilight after sunset. Bugs are active on the water and so are the bass.

I don't think there is a bad time to fly fish for panfish except in windy conditions.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 06:15:15 AM »
Best times for bass are the 1/2 hour before sunrise

This is why I flyfish for trout -- don't gotta show up till after breakfast...  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

client32

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 06:39:42 AM »
I don't know where you are located, but you can probably find a book dealing specifically for fly fishing in your location.

I've dabbled in fly fishing, my brother has gotten into it.  A couple of years ago, we bought him a book for fly fishing in New Mexico.  That has been a great resource for him.  You can probably find soemthing like that at your local fly shop.  Also, ask what you need at a flyshop, like BenW mentioned, they will help you out.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

nico

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 03:50:45 PM »
I'm in Baltimore, Maryland.  The gunpowder river is supposed to be a great place for trout and there's a fly shop/guide service right down from the street from it.  I'll definitely be paying them a visit before I go looking for trout.

I went to Bass Pro today and picked up a couple size 8 woolly buggers and poppers, some tapered bass leaders and tippet material today along with a vest and a pair of nippers.  I've been looking around, and I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a pair of LL Bean Flyweight II waders.  I've seen some good reviews of them and if I don't like them, LL Bean has an unbeatable return policy.  They have a boot foot version for $99, and a stocking foot version for $59 (the boots I'd buy are $49).  Based on what I've read, it seems like the stocking foot has most of the advantages in its favor.  Is there a reason to buy the boot foot version instead?  Also, how necessary is a net?  Are there any other accessories/gadgets I'll need?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 05:01:17 PM »
Boot foots are good if you are going to be fishing muddy bottoms because the boot stays attached when the suction of the mud fights back.

Stocking foots are good for rocky or sandy bottoms because you can get a boot that is comfortable to wear and walk in. Plus they are usually lighter and cooler in the summer time heat.

If you go with stocking foot option make sure to purchase a pair of gravel gators to keep the river bottom out of your boots. Keep you toe nails trimmed to keep from cutting a hole in the wader and wear socks.

I'm in the market for some summer waders myself, just have to find the $$ first Smiley

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 04:50:33 AM »
...my fishing buddies all agree I'm pretty fly....

...for a white guy!     grin
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...