Author Topic: Judge Says No Pants Are Worth $54 Million, Rules in Favor of Dry Cleaner  (Read 1158 times)

Desertdog

• friends
Judge Says No Pants Are Worth $54 Million, Rules in Favor of Dry Cleaner
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,286575,00.html

WASHINGTON    A judge ruled Monday that no pair of pants is worth $54 million, rejecting a lawsuit that took a dry cleaner's promise of "Satisfaction Guaranteed" to its most litigious extreme.

Roy L. Pearson originally sought $67 million from the defendants, claiming they lost a pair of trousers from a blue and maroon suit, then tried to give him a pair a pair of charcoal gray pants that he said were not his.

Pearson arrived at the amount by adding up years of alleged law violations and almost $2 million in common law fraud claims. He then lowered the amount he was seeking to $54 million.

But District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Judith Bartnoff ruled that the owners of Custom Cleaners did not violate the city's consumer protection law by failing to live up to Pearson's expectations of the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign once displayed in the store window.

"A reasonable consumer would not interpret 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' to mean that a merchant is required to satisfy a customer's unreasonable demands" or to agree to demands that the merchant would have reasonable grounds for disputing, the judge wrote.

Man Who Sues Dry Cleaners for $54 Million May Have Lost More Than His Pants Bartnoff wrote that Pearson, an administrative law judge, failed to prove that the pants the dry cleaner tried to return were not the pants he took in for alterations.

Bartnoff ordered Pearson to pay the court costs of defendants Soo Chung, Jin Nam Chung and Ki Y. Chung. The court costs amount to just over $1,000 for photocopying, filing and similar expenses, according to the Chungs' attorney.

A motion to recover the Chungs' tens of thousands of dollars in attorney fees will be considered later.

Chris Manning, the Chungs' attorney, praised the ruling, which followed a two-day trial earlier this month.

"Judge Bartnoff has spoken loudly in suggesting that, while consumers should be protected, abusive lawsuits like this will not be tolerated," Manning said in a statement. "Judge Bartnoff has chosen common sense and reasonableness over irrationality and unbridled venom."

Pearson did not respond to a call and an e-mail seeking comment. Manning, the Chungs' lawyer, said he expected Pearson to appeal.

During the trial, Pearson testified that he wanted only $2 million in damages for himself -- for his mental anguish and inconvenience -- plus $500,000 in attorney's fees for representing himself. Any additional money that the judge might award would go into a fund "to educate people of their rights under the consumer protection act," he said.

The case garnered international attention and renewed calls for litigation reform.

"This case was giving American justice a black eye around the world, and it was all the more upsetting because it was a judge and lawyer who was bringing the suit," said Paul Rothstein, a Georgetown University law professor.

Rothstein said Monday's ruling "restores one's confidence in the legal system."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
There's some indiciation that because of this lawsuit the guy's job as an administrative law judge is now in jeopardy.

All I can say to that is...

Good.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
Between this and Nifong maybe lawyers and prosecutors will start getting the idea that they arent above the law.  Maybe.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

HankB

• friend
Frankly, IMHO Pearson ought to not only pay court costs and all the legal fees of the dry cleaner he sued, he ought to pay the plaintiffs (oops, I obviously meant the defendants, the people he sued.) for their time (at the same rate he was valuing HIS time - call it a flat $500,000) PLUS a hefty fine to the court for filing a frivolous suit and abusing the legal system.

$54,000,000 for a pair of pants?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ned Hamford

• friend
Chances are your pants are not as fancy as the pair
of very fancy pants that Mr. Fancy Pants would wear...
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Bigjake

• friend
HankB beat me to it.  This bastard definatly owes the dry clean folks for the headache and time spent in court.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Wanna bet the SOB appeals?

Blog under construction

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
the only logical reason for him to push this to the level of 54 million dollars for a pair of pants
was if he was being a stalking horse for tort reform
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Cosmoline

• friend
From what I understand, the defendants spoke no English and had no idea what was happening.  He was apparently trying to take advantage of their ignorance of the American legal system.  I like Koreans, but the ones who refuse to learn English are just asking for trouble. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

judge has issues  had been outa work for a couple years  and going through an expensive divorce .  he was down to his last couple graqnd when he got the judge job and they lost his pants,  hes a whack job  but par for dc

wmenorr67

• friend
While I am glad the judge came to the correct decision, the case should have been thrown out all together.  The judge should not have let it go to the extent that they tied up the court for two days of trial, plus all the other BS leading up to it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I want those pants!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
I guess this brings new meaning to the phrase: "sue the pants off of him/her"

Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

crt360

• friend
the only logical reason for him to push this to the level of 54 million dollars for a pair of pants
was if he was being a stalking horse for tort reform

I agree.  I wonder if we will ever find out who paid him and how much.
For entertainment purposes only.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"While I am glad the judge came to the correct decision, the case should have been thrown out all together."

Apparently the trial judge looked for a way to throw the case out, but she couldn't. It met all the legal standards requirements for bringing the case to trial.

You can't throw a case out simply because the monetary value of the requested damages is excessive. The requested damages don't have anything to do with the case's court worthiness.

Had the judge actually found for the plaintiff, she was under no obilgation at all to award him $54 million. She could have found for the plaintiff and awarded him NO damages, or a sum somewhere in between 0 and 54 million.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.