Author Topic: Get a cheap digicam to hold me over until I get a sweet one?  (Read 1395 times)

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
So I want to get a super little camera (think optio s4i or lumix) that takes great pictures, records video w/ sound and generally rocks... but I don't want to spend 400 dollars.  All I "really" need the camera for is taking pictures such as the attached to post on my blog.  The picture attached was taken with a 2 mp camera, nothing fancy.  
Tomorrow, Goodguys/CompUSA is having a grand opening sale, and I can get a Kodak CX7300 3.2 mp camera for 50 dollars...that's a screaming deal.  That camera sells for 70 dollars on ebay.  So I figure, I buy a cheap junker to take okay pics with.  Then buy a fancy pants camera in a few months and sell the kodak on ebay for some money.

Anyone think thats a crazy idea?

atek3

the first picture is my friends camera that I used, the second is from the CX7300

I'd say the quality of the 2nd is pretty good for a 50 dollar fire and forget camera.

TarpleyG

• friend
Get a cheap digicam to hold me over until I get a sweet one?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 02:16:13 AM »
That's not bad at all.  My wife went with her cousin to get a cheapo one day.  They ended up with a Vivitar for about $70.  Was broken right out of the box.  My wife took it back since the cousin was out of town visiting my wife's parents and exchanged it for the sam model.  Got home...same thing.  Took it back and got a refund.  Moral of story?  You get what you pay for.  My suggestion--double your money or just over and buy a Canon A400.  That's my tote-around-town-everyday camera and I think I gave $130 for it a while back.  If you want the shiznit and don't need an SLR, get a Canon G6.  I have the G5 and it is an awesome semi-pro camera without SLR capabilities.

As usual, YMMV.

Greg

DigMe

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 04:02:15 AM »
I recognize that second pic!  Wink  

Kodak is a great option for those on a budget.  As long as you are aware that this model does not have optical zoom and digital zoom is worthless.  It will be great for blog pics and you might be able to even get some decent 4x6 prints too.  Don't forget to get an SD card!  You won't need that big of a card and you can get 128 and 256 mb SD cards for SILLY cheap these days.  

brad cook

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 09:26:51 AM »
I got a 6330, and I like it.  I can get pretty decent pictures out of it.  One of these days, I'd like a bit nicer camera, preferably a SLR Digital (yeah, right rolleyes ), but until then, this is working quite well.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'