Author Topic: How do you keep one credit card company...  (Read 1534 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
How do you keep one credit card company...
« on: October 21, 2007, 07:59:22 AM »
from requesting your credit report?

I just snagged a copy of my credit report, and Discover has been hitting my report at Equifax TWICE a month, EVERY month, for as long as is shown on the report.

The chances of my ever taking a Discover card are LESS than zero. I wouldn't give those clowns a glass of water if they were on fire, but I digress.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

CAnnoneer

• friend
Re: How do you keep one credit card company...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
Cancel the card. Then they would have no reason to check your credit report. Be sure to let them know why you are cancelling.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:09:09 AM »
Cancel the card. Then they would have no reason to check your credit report. Be sure to let them know why you are cancelling.

"The chances of my ever taking a Discover card are LESS than zero."

How do I cancel a credit card that I have NEVER had nor will I EVER have one?

And yes, they would have every reason to request my credit report even though I don't have a Discover card. It's called marketing.

If you check your credit report you'll find requests from a lot of sources (Amex, Fleet, other banks and lenders) with whom you have NO relationship.

They're doing it to see if you quality for their latest credit offer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 09:18:47 AM »
Have you opted out of the "unsolicited credit offer" database?

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 09:26:12 AM »
Have you opted out of the "unsolicited credit offer" database?

Porbably pointless, if that one works as well as the "no call" list. I got on the latter and my telemarketer calls remained the same. I should have got a restricted number but did not want to pay the racket to the phone company.

I construed the remark the effect that you would not renew an existing card.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 11:59:02 AM »

I construed the remark the effect that you would not renew an existing card.

Why?  But it looks like Mike is in a good mood today.  I was expecting about two paragraphs of raw scorn.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
Porbably pointless, if that one works as well as the "no call" list.
Did you sign up for the FEDERAL one?

Worked for me. Before I signed up I usually got 1 call a night, sometimes more. After signing up it took about 3 weeks and voila no more calls except from charities, political parties and poll takers which are permitted by law.

On the rare occassion when I do get a call I get their information by pretending to be interested, write it down so I can remember it, mention that I'm on the Federal no call list and I'm going to file a complaint and read off all the info I collected from them. I never get a 2nd call and I haven't had to really file a complaint yet.

If you get calls from marketers after you sign up and it's a month down the road you can nail their butts to the wall if you follow the steps the Feds list.

Google up Federal No Call List and go see how it works and the remedies if you keep getting called.

Occasionally the FEDS actually do get something right.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 12:56:59 PM »
Why? 

Why would they be checking if you did not have a card with them? To determine likely candidates? It seems they are offering credit cards to everybody these days, including illegals. Why would they do any research then instead of blanketing the addresses they have? It would make more sense to do the check only after you send in an application.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 01:12:42 PM »
no more calls except from charities, political parties and poll takers which are permitted by law

Still get way too many of those  angry

Yeah, and the dang "cop charities" too  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »
I signed up for a Discover card years ago on the written promise it would refund my purchases of defective merchandise. Several years later, when I received defective merchandise, I called Discover. Mysteriously, there was no such guarantee.

Do business with liars? No way!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 08:02:15 PM »

Why would they be checking if you did not have a card with them? To determine likely candidates? It seems they are offering credit cards to everybody these days, including illegals. Why would they do any research then instead of blanketing the addresses they have? It would make more sense to do the check only after you send in an application.

No, it doesn't make more sense to do the check after I send an application in.

Direct mail solicitation is the single most effective means of reaching potential customers/clients there is.

If it didn't work, do you think all those companies would be filling your mailbox on a regular basis?

Companies prescreen potential candidates for another reason, as well. Not all offers are the same. It's called targeted offers, or targeted marketing. You categorize potential customers into risk groups, and tailor an offer to them.

My credit rating and score are such that companies desperately want me because I'm a VERY good risk. I've never bounced a check, I have an excellent payment history (I show two 30-day lates on my CR, both from when I was switching from one bill payment service to another, I simply forgot to move those two), my debt to income ratio is far below the national average, I've a steady employment history, and as of several months ago my credit scores from two of the three major bureaus were pushing 800.

In today's world, I'm literally one in 200,000 or so.

Discover has floated some rather tempting offers past me, offers that most people never see because they don't have my credit history.

Ever see a 2.5% fixed rate offer from Discover? I have.

Any company can offer anyone a card.

But as we've just seen from the subprime fiasco, companies HAVE to have a strong portfolio of A and B list clients to balance out the Cs, Ds, and the occasional F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
Send Discover a cease and desist letter.  Tell them, in specific terms, that they are not authrized to pull your credit for any reason.  Ever.  Send it certified mail.  Print a copy of the letter.  If you can, photocopy the letter along with the certified mail sticker plainly showing.

Give them 30 days to quit.

The good news is that automated credit inquiries from places like Discover, Chase, and Capitol One don't do derogotory things to your credit score any more.  They are just a nuisance.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 04:40:09 PM »
The good news is that automated credit inquiries from places like Discover, Chase, and Capitol One don't do derogotory things to your credit score any more.  They are just a nuisance. 

Then what can we do to humble Mike's pride over his credit score? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 04:49:09 PM »
Show him mine.  It's higher. Tongue

Chris

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 05:20:48 PM »
IIRC credit rating agencies maintain no-go lists designed to stop that to which you refer.  I'd pick up the phone and call one just for giggles.  Website may also have access. 

Credit rating agencies make money by selling your information. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 06:36:19 PM »
Show him mine.  It's higher. Tongue

Chris

Yep, it is. You should be rightly proud of it, as I should be mine. I put mine back together after a divorce. Not an easy thing to do.