Author Topic: Car Problems  (Read 752 times)

Polishrifleman

• friend
Car Problems
« on: October 22, 2007, 12:19:28 PM »
Ok, I have an 84' Rabbit GTI that I want to get running as a rally car.  It has been sitting for quite some time.  Fuel pump was frozen this has been replaced.  I have spark and can get the car running spraying starter fluid into the air intake.  Fuel is getting through the filter placed behind the battery and beside the injectors so the problem is between the engine side of the filter and the cylinders.  I drained a majority of the old gas, put in some HEAT and added new fuel.  Any thoughts?  How hard are the injectors to replace?  Is there a way to tell if they are clogged?

Thanks,

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: Car Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »
Clogged (fully clogged) injectors will show as a dry spark plug.  But this won't fully diagnose an injector problem.
Injectors can be removed and sprayed into a mason jar to establish function and pattern.  You'll need a partner.

Also, timing may be off due to (m)any cause(s) - hence spark with no fire.

84 Rabbit.  Bosch Fuel System?  Mechanical fuel injection?  There are mechanics who specialize in these.  I got rid of an 88 Audi (best damn 1000 dollar car I ever owned) in part because of that insufferable fuel system.  I never could figger it out.

Good Luck

Soakers, motorhead
7-11 was a part time job.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Car Problems
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 12:45:53 PM »
Your Rabbit has a mechanical injection system.  I may need to be primed before it will operate properly.  It may also have an inlet filter screen that's gummed up.

There are a couple of Rabbit enthusiast forums.  Try there.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB