Author Topic: *UPDATE* Anyone have access to Mitsubishi recall and TSB notices?  (Read 5948 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Anyone here work for a Mitsubishi dealer or have access to Mitsubishi recall and TSB notices?

A friend has a 2003 Mitubishi Outlander.  The temp control knob was so hard to turn it eventually broke off at the control stem.  I've done some digging and found a Mitsubishi TSB on the problem.  The TSB number is 02-55-003.  From what I can gather the remedy for the problem is extremely involved, including almost compete disassembly of the dash and major surgery to air controls and A/C plenum.  In a word, expensive.  Apparently it's also a very well known problem.  All I had to say was "temp control knob in a 2003 Outlander is hard to turn" and the Mistu dealer service writer I called was instantly familiar with it.

The new Mitsu's have a 5/50 warranty. Unfortunately that began with the 2004 models.  This '03 has a 3/30 so she's almost two full years out.  I'm trying to see if there is a silent recall on the problem or, at the very least, some kind of deductable-only repair for it.

Thanks in advance!
Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Euclidean

• friend
Re: Anyone have access to Mitsubishi recall and TSB notices?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »
Call Mitsubishi?  When I did GM customer service TBs were purely internal documents but we were quite aggressive in screening vehicles for open recalls.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:33:01 PM »
Already called.  They gave me the standard "need to run the VIN" response (which I expected).  Since repairs can easily run $400-$600 just in shop time I was hoping someone had access to any applicable silent recalls or problem-specific warranty extension programs. 

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 05:41:42 PM »
So give them the VIN.  And why worry about the cost?  If there's a recall on it, a dealer will fix it gratis.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 06:48:03 AM »
So give them the VIN.  And why worry about the cost?  If there's a recall on it, a dealer will fix it gratis.

A) Because I don't have the VIN

B) Because the cost needs to be worried about

C) Dealers often charge for diagnostics which I don't need because I've diagnosed the problem already.  I want to find out the specifics of the TSB I listed, and if there has been a silent recall on it, before proceeding any further.

Brad

-HankB

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 11:12:55 AM »
You sure that's the right TSB#?

TSB-02-55-003 A/C EVAPORATOR ICING UP
Article Text
2001 Mitsubishi Diamante
For sdf
Copyright ? 1998 Mitchell Repair Information Company, LLC
Monday, September 06, 2004 12:42PM

Full text here: http://www.diamanteowners.com/files/Second%20Gen/Technical%20Service%20Bulletins/tsb0255003%20ac%20evaporator%20icing%20up.pdf

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 11:35:46 AM »
Oh crap, missed a digit.

05-55-003.  Sorry!

Brad
-HankB

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 06:39:34 PM »
Mr. Johnson, consumers have some very strong rights and entitlements when it comes to recalls.  If a dealer is charging anyone any amount of money for any purpose to repair a recall, that dealer is in a lot of trouble.  I confess I don't understand how you can have access to the vehicle to repair it without having the VIN, or why you feel you have to fix it yourself at your own expense.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 10:39:35 PM »
Oh crap, missed a digit.

05-55-003.  Sorry!

Brad

Sorry, couldn't find any info on this that you don't already have--the dash has to come off and with the knob broken it's going to be pretty darn expensive.

robear

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 02:59:21 AM »
Here you go:

www.suaz.ws/Lancer/index.pdf

It says 2005 Lancer, but the verbage in the file says it also applies to the 2003 Outlander.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Robear

Edited: I see you say you already have the TSB.  Sorry I can't help further.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 08:04:54 AM »
Quote from: Euclidean
I confess I don't understand how you can have access to the vehicle to repair it without having the VIN, or why you feel you have to fix it yourself at your own expense.

1) It is a friend's car (see original post).  It is not sitting in my driveway.  It is not where I can run out and jot down the VIN at a moment's notice.  I do not like green eggs and ham.  I do not like them, Sam I am.

2) What gave you the idea that I have any desire whatsoever to dig into this thing myself?  I do NOT want to fix it myself at my expense, nor do I want my friend to fix it herself at her expense.  That is why I'm trying to get someone who has access to Mitsubishi recall and warranty information to see if there has been any general recalls (silent or otherwise) on that particular year, make, and model. 

3) If I cannot get that information, THEN I will go to the trouble of getting the VIN, calling it in, and waiting in On-Hold Hell for someone who probably knows less about vehicles than my ex-wife to eventually tell me the only way they can check for sure is to bring it in.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
Re: *UPDATE* Anyone have access to Mitsubishi recall and TSB notices?
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 12:07:03 PM »
After some wrangling with Mitsubishi they have agreed to foot the labor side of the repair.  My friend will have to buy the parts, but the dealer seems to be treating her very right on the prices.

Mitsubishi, to their credit, responded immediately to the Customer Service request and treated my friend in a very polite and concerned manner.  I think it helped that we offered a reasonable comprimise up front instead of screaming and yelling that someone needed to lose their head over it.  It took Mitsu a few days to run it through the system but they kept us informed all the way.  The "come on in" call from the dealer was just a few minutes ago.

She's still out $325 plus tax, but that sure beats the heck out of the over-$1000 repair she was facing.  Plus, it gets dealer-repaired (with accompanying Dealer Repair Warranty) using genuine factory parts.

All-in-all it worked out pretty well.

Brad
-HankB