Author Topic: Chicago Cops taser mentally ill Grandma  (Read 890 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Chicago Cops taser mentally ill Grandma
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:48:13 AM »
YIKES, I guess Chicago Cops read APS.  police rolleyes

http://www.suntimes.com/news/mitchell/636574,CST-NWS-mitch06.article

No justification for using Taser on grandma
Chicago cop's actions against mentally ill woman probed

November 6, 2007
BY MARY MITCHELL Sun-Times Columnist
Unless an 82-year-old grandmother is holding a loaded gun, there's no excuse for police officers to use a Taser.

None.

Police allegedly used a Taser on 82-year-old Lillian Fletcher when performing a well-bring check at her home.  Apparently, the department had received an anonymous tip that Lillian Fletcher, who has a history of mental illness, was home alone and in need of assistance.  When Fletcher refused to open her door, police were called. Although Fletcher cracked the door, she still refused to let her visitors into the house.
But police officers wouldn't take no for an answer and pushed their way in. Fletcher ran and got the hammer she keeps beside her bed.

"My grandmother is easily confused," her granddaughter, Traci Taylor, said Monday. "She probably didn't know what was going on."  Taylor is one of her grandmother's caregivers. She said her grandmother has schizophrenia and dementia.  Normally Fletcher is looked after by a homemaker or by her own daughter and Taylor. Only recently did these women find themselves between homemakers.  "She can be belligerent," Taylor said. But she's 82 years old, 5 feet 1 inch and weighs no more than 160 pounds, she added.  "I just don't think they should be Tasing 82-year-old women. That's ridiculous."

Reportedly swinging a hammer
According to a police source, when officers arrived, Fletcher was "swinging a hammer" and becoming "increasingly violent."  When Fletcher failed to stop as ordered, an officer discharged a Taser. Also, it's worth noting that Fletcher hasn't been charged with violating any laws.  "The matter is being looked into by the Office of Professional Standards, and the Chicago Police Department will also be reviewing the matter to determine if procedures were followed," a police spokesman said.

After Tasing Fletcher, officers took her to Mt. Sinai Hospital, where she was treated. Her family is concerned Fletcher may have suffered a stroke. Citing privacy laws, a hospital spokesman declined comment.  But Taylor said a social worker at the hospital advised relatives of the circumstances surrounding Fletcher's hospitalization. Fletcher was released five days later, but she is still complaining about her hip and a burn on her abdomen. Doctors told Fletcher's family that she should be seen by a neurologist because she has fluid on her brain and may have to undergo surgery.

'There has to be another way'
Unfortunately, despite Fletcher's documented mental condition, police officers -- including a sergeant -- resorted to the same tactics they use when they are dealing with violent criminals.  For instance, last August, Chicago Police officers were accused of causing the death of a South Side man after they subdued him with a Taser. The officers were responding to a 911 call placed by the man's family. Allegedly, Gefery Johnson was combative and resisted arrest. Officers used a Taser and pepper spray on Johnson, and he later died.  Last week, the Cook County medical examiner's office ruled Johnson's death "accidental" and blamed cocaine intoxication rather than the Taser.  About 150 field training officers will soon be equipped with new Tasers. About 200 sergeants have had Tasers for about five years. Obviously, there are times when a Taser should be used to keep the peace. And disabling an out-of-control person is better than shooting that person and asking questions later.  But in Fletcher's case, police officers showed extremely poor judgment. Even if she didn't look elderly, there was no question she was mentally disturbed.

How do these police officers justify using such force on an elderly woman? Where was their compassion?
"I want people to know what happened," Taylor said. "I want them to try and do something as far as regulating Taser use. We're talking about an 82-year-old woman.   "There has to be another way to stop her -- use your stick and block the hammer," she said. "Knock it out of her hand. How hard is that?"

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
Re: When is a Yard Sale not a Yard Sale?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 07:23:53 AM »
. . . Although Fletcher cracked the door, she still refused to let her visitors into the house. But police officers wouldn't take no for an answer and pushed their way in.
So she's talking to them through a partially open door, but they forced their way in against her wishes? At that point the officers became armed home invaders, and considerably more force than a hammer would have been justified.  angry
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Chicago Cops taser mentally ill Grandma
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 07:28:38 AM »
Scout,

I've moved your article to its own thread.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:16:48 AM »
So who phoned in the anonymous report?  Should we outlaw anonymous reports?  Smiley

This does seem pretty strange.  It would seem to me that stepping back and contacting next of kin would have been better than forcing their way in.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 11:38:49 AM »
These cops should not have forced their way in.  The welfare check was to find out if the old lady had a stroke or hurt herself somehow.  She answered the door and didn't want visitors.  This welfare check had nothing to do with kidnapping, burglary or rape suspicions, meaning there was no need to check for other people holding her against her will.

Bad cops.  Bad!

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 04:15:02 PM »
So she's talking to them through a partially open door, but they forced their way in against her wishes? At that point the officers became armed home invaders, and considerably more force than a hammer would have been justified.  angry

You beat me to it.

Quote from: MechAg94
This does seem pretty strange.  It would seem to me that stepping back and contacting next of kin would have been better than forcing their way in.

One problem may be depertmental policies. I am not an LEO so I don't really know how it works, but it often appears that whenever the police are called, they have a mindset that they must DO something. Like the many reports of people who are carrying legally, but when the police respond to a "Man with gun" report they are virtually never content to just verify the legality of the carry and leave -- they feel a compulsion to harrass the carrier rather than inform the complainant that no laws have been broken.

So now we have a call of an old woman at home alone. Police arrive, woman says "Go away." Most likely, they're afraid that if they DO go away she might hurt herself. Solution? Preempt the situation and ensure that she gets hurt up front, while they are Johnny-on-the-spot to provide transport.

Methinks it isn't just the Taser policies that need review. Policies in general regarding limitations of authority are in urgent need of review, and not only in Chicago. Police officers need to understand that their authority is not unlimited. There are times when they'll respond and fing that no laws have been or are being broken. In such a situation, they have NO authority to act, and should simply leave. But they often can't acknowledge that they have no authority, so they act anyway. That's when things get FUBARed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 07:05:07 AM »
This happened in Chicago.  Why is anyone shocked?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

w turner

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 09:12:57 AM »
Sounds like there are two versions of this story so far.

Version 1 says she partially opened the door, told the cops to leave.  They instead forced their way in, she felt threatened and went to work with the hammer and subsequently got tased.

Version 2 says she basically came to the door acting aggressive with the hammer and they tased her.

She's mentally ill.....they're Chicago cops.  Who knows who is telling the closest thing to the truth? 

w   

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 09:48:48 AM »
This happened in Chicago.  Why is anyone shocked?

We're shocked by the uncommon restraint they showed only Tasing her instead of riddling her body with bullets.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 12:47:57 PM »
Heroes... is what these men are.  These men defended the city from a woman who was at home watching tv.  Luckily they were there to push her door in and then tase her.