Author Topic: Advice from the Utahns- where can I find...?  (Read 856 times)

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Advice from the Utahns- where can I find...?
« on: July 04, 2005, 10:09:32 PM »
Hey y'all...

It appears I may be getting 'a deal I can't refuse' to come work for a major IT company in SLC within the next couple of weeks.  Good salary, management job.  No significant travel out of the area, at least none more than overnight.  

That said, I've never been to Utah.  The only folks I know who are in Utah are those on APS and THR.  I've heard a little about living up there- I'm inclined at this point to believe that north of SLC a little ways is a good thing, as far as neighborhoods- up to Brigham/Layton/Clinton, and down to Sandy, but I hear that south is somewhat congested with folks and traffic. Now, traffic isn't such a big deal to me, as I live in Dallas now and I hold my own in the daily 635 Crash Derby known as rush hour.  

Ideally, I'd like to have 20 acres (or more Cheesy  ) where I can get the family established- looks like both Incubi (24 and 18, plus the oldest's S.O.) will be moving with me, eventually- have room to get out, do the 4-wheeler/sandrail thing, hunt, do the outdoor thing.  The end plan is to eventually have a family 'compound', so to speak- semi-communal living with separate residences on a decent sized piece of land.  Maybe run some cattle, have a nice garden, build a shop.  Room for all the junk we accumulate in life as adventuresome folks.

Now, the conundrum I have is to challenge y'all as to tell me what area within decent driving distance of Salt Lake City can I find what I'm looking for?   I promise that as a Native Texan I know better than to tell y'all 'how we did things here', like we had from the Rust Belt folks who invaded Texas in the 70's and 80's Cheesy

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Advice from the Utahns- where can I find...?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 07:26:24 AM »
I'm in West Jordan.  Its Suburban hell.   Firstly, which part of Salt Lake is the new office in?  Salt Lake City itself, or one of the Suburbs?  

Because Salt Lake is in a valley, there isn't much left for 'outskirts' anymore.  Its up and over the mountains to get out of the City, and then you're commuting an hour or so.  Winter commuting through the passes can be brutal.  Also, if there is a major accident, thats it, you're stuck with no bypass.
Land is a premium within about an hour of SLC, however, you still have hope.
Although the property values are quickly going up, check Heber.  Also, check Wanship, Oakley, Peoa, Kamas, Echo, Coalville, Francis, Henefer.  That is all stuff to the East of Salt Lake.  There are reservoirs, rivers, and its very close to the Uinta mountain range.  Outdoorsman's heavan.  If you're desperate, check the Tooele valley, including:  Grantsville, Tooele, Stockton, Vernon, Rush Valley.  That is out West, which is more high desert, but there is still plenty of outdoors to be had that way.
Try this site
http://www.utahrealestate.com
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”