Author Topic: Pasta Monster Gets Academic Attention  (Read 6314 times)

Ryan in Maine

• friend
Re: Pasta Monster Gets Academic Attention
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2008, 09:25:35 PM »
Maybe the gods and goddesses who created everything were/are scientists.  shocked

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2008, 09:25:47 PM »
"Intelligent design"

Let's see... That assumes that we were created by an intelligent being.

Premise: We are created in God's image

Fact: A whole bunch of us are essentially morons

Conjecture: God is a moron

Conclusion: It ain't intelligent

Blog under construction

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »
Maybe the gods and goddesses who created everything were/are scientists.  shocked

Maybe.  Really drunk scientists.  I'm not talking "a couple rum and cokes" drunk, I mean, "drank half a bottle of shine and now is stone blind" drunk.  Folks who believe nature is intelligently designed needs to spend more times outdoors.  Designed, maybe.  Intelligently, ha!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »
Are UFO sightings in the curriculum of your public high school?  You're talking about a subject of marginal importance.  I don't recall my physics courses ever explaining that UFOs are really weather-balloons and marsh gas.

Maybe your physics teachers had too many scientifically grounded principles to try to get into your teenage brain to stray into half-baked ideas, pseudoscience, and discussions of folklore.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2008, 01:17:03 AM »
There's only one way to defeat the pasta monster, spaghetti sauce and lots of it!  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2008, 05:25:56 AM »
Talk about a debate.   cheesy

I think that I'll restate my view on this stuff:

Evolution, as I was taught it, was more a statement of how things are now, it wasn't presented as an origin tale.  The closest to an origin tale was a theory involving a primordial soup and a great big 'we don't really have any clue'.

The other thing I got was that evolution, backed up by some genetic trait stuff by Mendel and his peas, is a lot like teaching Newton to the kids rather than Einstein's theory of relativity.  Getting into things like bacterial chromosome exchange, stimulated mutation/evolution, etc... is more for biology classes rather than general science.  I'd expect general science to cover evolution(the non-origin version), a bit about DNA and the resultant traits, dominant and recessive genes.

So far, I, at least, haven't seen any ID theories that weren't based more on religion than science.  Meanwhile we can trace genetic lines back thousands of years, find inactive genes in humans that program for a tail that is active in monkeys, heck, we even have most of the programming for gills still in our genetic heritage.  We share so much in common with rats and mice that they're used in medical testing; their reaction to drugs is usually nearly identical to ours.

Yes, we've found far more fossils than we had back in the 1700's.  It's still very much a matter of winning the lottery.  We're talking about millions of years here.  For a single species of dinosaur, that'd take a thousand specimens(more likely 2k with the way finding them is random), to give us a semi-steady 1k year time difference between samples to inspect for gradual change.  A thousand years is a thousand generations of deer, for example. 

Also, change doesn't necessarily have to be that gradual - a small genetic change can have a profound difference in phenotype.  Consider that the difference between being 'black' and being an albino is a single gene, can even be a single change in the genetic code.

We have found intermediate candidates for a number of species, but the impression I've gotten is that ID proponents aren't happy with this, as they're looking to prove their version of creation, based off of the bible.  It's like we have sample A that we think transitioned into sample C.  The ID proponent demands to see B - but if we do so he then demands to see AB & BC.  So on and so forth.  Or we find A, AB, and C and he's not happy because he wants to see B & BC.

It also doesn't help that there's lots of dead ends in evolution - most species end in extinction rather than branching off into new species.

Besides, it's  not like our theoretical intelligent designers couldn't have used chaos theories and decided on a chaotic system to perform their work - set some seeds and leave, trusting to random chance backed by statistical odds to create what they wanted.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2008, 07:11:17 AM »
The Pasta-monster makes about as much sense as the bible.