Author Topic: Duuuude! It's, like, the allness of the universe, man!  (Read 1195 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Duuuude! It's, like, the allness of the universe, man!
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:57:13 AM »
Just hit Fox News.

If you care, the story page at FoxNews.com has a couple of interesting links.

Laid-Back Surfer Dude May Be Next Einstein
Friday, November 16, 2007

A surfer dude with no fixed address may be this century's Einstein.

A. Garrett Lisi, a physicist who divides his time between surfing in Maui and teaching snowboarding in Lake Tahoe, has come up with what may be the Grand Unified Theory.

That's the "holy grail" of physics that scientists have been searching for ever since Albert Einstein presented his General Theory of Relativity nearly 100 years ago.

Even more remarkable is that Lisi, who has a Ph.D. but no permanent university affiliation, solves the problem without resorting to exotic dimensions, string theory or exceptionally complex mathematics.

A successful Grand Unified Theory would use a series of equations to show how the four fundamental forces of nature  gravity, electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces  relate to each other.

Electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactivity, were linked more than 30 years ago, and some progress has been made with linking them to the strong nuclear force, which binds protons together in the atomic nucleus.

RelatedStories
Scientists See Early Universe in Grains of Sand New Measurements: The Universe Weighs Less British Defense Researchers Create Invisible Tank Renegade Astronomers: 'Dark Matter' Is Bunk Scientists Generate Powerful Antimatter Ray " Click here for Lisi's images of himself surfing, snowboarding, skateboarding and hang gliding.

But gravity has always been an outlier. Not only have all attempts to link gravity to the other three forces failed, but physicists still can't agree on what gravity actually is or how it works.

Lisi solves this by using the E8 lattice, an eight-dimensional structure visualized earlier this year in a widely circulated paper.

He noticed that several of the equations used to describe the lattice matched those he'd come up with trying to resolve the four fundamental forces.

"The moment this happened my brain exploded with the implications and the beauty of the thing," Lisi tells New Scientist magazine. "I thought: 'Holy crap, that's it!'"

By mapping known subatomic particles, plus 20 imaginary ones, onto the 248 points of the E8 lattice, and then rotating the lattice in a computer model, Lisi shows how the particles elegantly combine to form three of the four forces.

The imaginary ones combine to form gravity, for which subatomic particles have only been theorized.

"Some incredibly beautiful stuff falls out of Lisi's theory," David Ritz Finkelstein of Georgia Tech tells New Scientist. "I think that this must be more than coincidence and he really is touching on something profound."

But Professor Marcus du Sautoy of Oxford tells Britain's Daily Telegraph that "there seem to be a lot of things still to fill in."

For his part, Lisi self-mockingly calls his finding "An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything," and downplays the suggestion that it may be the Grand Unified Theory.

"The theory is very young, and still in development," he tells the Daily Telegraph. "Right now, I'd assign a low (but not tiny) likelihood to this prediction."

He hopes the Large Hadron Collider, or LHC, currently being built on the Swiss-French border will find some of his 20 imaginary gravity-related particles.

"This is an all-or-nothing kind of theory  it's either going to be exactly right, or spectacularly wrong," Lisi tells New Scientist. "I'm the first to admit this is a long shot. But it ain't over till the LHC sings."

It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
Re: Duuuude! It's, like, the allness of the universe, man!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 11:36:24 AM »
I've got theories of particle physics, too . . .

Particles of time: Chronons are everywhere, and when they pass you up, they cause the apparent passage of time. If you're in an accelerated frame, fewer chronons pass you up, so time seems to slow down. As you appoach light speed, time slows enormously . . .

Particles of friction: Every surface has a layer of frikions, which cause friction. Rubber has a many, so rubbing it causes much friction, which you can see when you hit the brakes of your car on a dry road. Teflon has fewer surface frikions, as does smooth ice. Liquids like water and oil can wash many of these away . . .

Particles of gravity: These gravitons normally press on you from every direction; if you're in outer space, they press from every direction equally, leading to weightlessness. If you're on a planet, well, the planet itself blocks many gravitons from beneath you, so only the ones coming from above have an effect . . . so they keep you grounded.

Any effects that don't match these theories can be simply discounted as observational error.  grin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 12:44:52 PM »
I'd like to see experimental confirmations. LIGO is still searching for gravitational waves. So far, nothing.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:35:02 PM »
Will this scientific discovery finally destroy my faith in hokey religions? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 01:37:39 PM »
I doubt it. Those four forces were obviously designed by something.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 01:39:44 PM »
...and they still won't be able to figure out why it doesn't just fly apart.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 05:25:47 PM »
Will this scientific discovery finally destroy my faith in hokey religions? 

As long as you have a good blaster you should be okay.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
...and they still won't be able to figure out why it doesn't just fly apart.

Peanut butter.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »
Hank, after reading your post now I have to curl up into a ball and talk to myself under a bridge over the Wabash.

shocked
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »
Hank, after reading your post now I have to curl up into a ball and talk to myself under a bridge over the Wabash.

shocked

New reality show ... "El T TV"

Brad
-HankB

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 12:35:36 PM »

The pertinent question is "What was ths something smoking, and why the heck is it not sharing it with the rest of us?"

Hmmm...reminds me of those nights in H.S. with too much caffene, a boring dungeon and a spirograph.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 07:10:35 AM »
By mapping known subatomic particles, plus 20 imaginary ones, onto the 248 points of the E8 lattice, and then rotating the lattice in a computer model, Lisi shows how the particles elegantly combine to form three of the four forces.

The imaginary ones combine to form gravity, for which subatomic particles have only been theorized.

Wow, I'm sold.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »
kudo's
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 12:57:37 PM »
Obviously?Huh?

That's a major case of reducing the universe to a level limited by the imagination of man if I ever saw one.

In other words it's not obvious at all except to those of limited imagination, intellect or all ate up with religiosity.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 01:11:07 PM »

Wow, I'm sold.

You misunderstand what they mean by imaginary. You should know that our current working method for calculating behavior of alternating currents, is based on imaginary electric fields.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!