Author Topic: Line-X: Protects Pickups and the Pentagon  (Read 2212 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Line-X: Protects Pickups and the Pentagon
« on: November 18, 2007, 05:56:38 AM »
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on Line-X for my truck, and while on their website saw this video of an interesting military use of the product:

http://www.linex.com/video_paxcon.shtml
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Line-X: Protects Pickups and the Pentagon
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »
I bought my truck new in December of 2001.  Two days later I had the bed Line-X coated.

I've not been the kindest to the truck's box, but the Line-X is still holding tough, albeit with a few garfs.

The black color has since faded to a dark charcoal, but other than that, I have no problems recommending the process to other truck owners.  I'm going to do the same for my '53 soon.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

anygunanywhere

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:56:30 AM »
This type of coating is being used to fortify industrial buildings to make them more blast resistant as a result of the recent OSHA changes resuting from the Texas City, TX disasters a few years ago.

Purty neat stuff.

Anygun

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:02:40 AM »
Hey Gewehr -- at the risk of hijacking my own thread, how is water drainage out of your bed after they spray in the Line-X? Does water still drain out the seam closest to the cab as well as pre Line-X?

Back on topic, that blast resistance also seems like it would be really good for earthquake resistance. I'm kinda curious if it's been done in buildings here in CA.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:30:41 AM »
They scuff up your truck's paint with an air grinder before applying Line-X, so it adheres better.  They also put plugs in your box drain holes, in my S-10 there are 4 of them, one in each corner.  Once the Line-X cures, the plugs are removed, allowing the water to drain like it always did.

They also removed my tailgate, which allowed them to apply Line-X to the rear valence under the box, and also get complete coverage of the tailgate.

I checked out both RhinoLiner and Line-X before settling on the latter.  RhinoLiner at the time had larger chunks of recycled tire in their application, which wasn't the texture I was looking for.  Maybe they've since gone with something closer to Line-X in their consistency. 

I've got a photo around here somewhere of my truck's tailgate and box.  I've got to re-scale it before the resident photo Nazi jumps in my chili, but it shows the Line-X after about 4 years of aging in the Florida beachside sun. 

I'd take more photos today, but I have to rinse the deer blood and fur out, first. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 10:45:19 AM »
Another local use: Missouri is kinda backwards, and a lot of the "back roads" are still nothing but gravel. I've heard of several folks "bedlinering" the lower portions of trucks or SUVS (on the outside - up 18-24" or so) to cut down on rock dings...

Blog under construction

anygunanywhere

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 12:26:55 PM »
The stuff will be almost like duct tape one day. I have seen entire jeep interiors done. A friend had an old tool box that sits on the bed rails done with his bed. Looked good.

Anygun

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 12:46:41 PM »
If I had to repaint a truck and was willing to do better than an Earl Schieb job, I think Rhino/Line-X would get the nod, instead.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 02:13:16 PM »
The stuff will be almost like duct tape one day. I have seen entire jeep interiors done. A friend had an old tool box that sits on the bed rails done with his bed. Looked good.

Anygun

I did my entire Jeep interior with Herculiner.  It's the do-it-yourself version of Rhino/LineX.  I love it; it's extremely rugged and I can clean out my Jeep with a garden hose.  I know it's not as thick or durable as the "real" stuff, but then again my jeep interior won't be subject to the abuse that a truck bed liner is.  Herculiner is also about 1/5 the price.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 02:16:23 PM »
My "new" truck had a spray-in bedliner. Looks good, works good. I'm very happy with it. If I had purchased one w/o the spray-in liner, I would have applied it myself.

It is a heck of a lot better than those hard plastic liners...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 03:35:53 PM »
On one of the bicycle forums I frequent, I saw a picture of a mountain bike frame that had been sprayed with this.  It actually looked pretty interesting, and the owner said it was bomb-proof in rough trail and mud riding.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 05:53:47 PM »
I had rinoliner put in my 2000 s-10 when it was new. It's held up quite well, with damage in a couple spots due to what I'd consider abuse. I think it was dropping a rear end from a camaro off of a forklift, and carrying an engine block around loose in the bed that caused the damage. I went with it over the linex because it was a non-slip surface whereas the linex seemed pretty slippery. I think they are both good products though.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 05:25:00 AM »
It's bad enough that you truck owners have this prissy bed liner, but now the military has gone soft on us, too.  Depressing.

Wink  Some of you will get the joke. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 05:34:44 AM »
I have a Silverado with Line-X - it's da bomb.

I beat the snot out of it - it is bulletproof.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 05:22:46 AM »
Been in the jeep in my avatar for 11 years.  I completely did a body of restoration on this jeep and undercoated the entire thing with it too.  Not so much as a flake, but serious mud stains it to the point that it's effectively impossible to scrub out.  It's good stuff.  If it gets a lot of sun though, it will fade and get a chalky look to it after a while.  Probably in short order in places like Arizona.

Having done all this 11 years ago, the products were pretty varied.  Rhino was very soft, linex was harder.  The soft stuff just didn't hold up to abuse like the harder compound of linex.  It came at the cost of durability.  I went for durability and chose the linex.  Nowadays, they are all about the same, and they are all pretty close to the Linex original formulation in hardness.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »
I suggested to the eldest kid he put it in his '76 Bronco. Now he has a beautiful red lifted Bronco with a terrific non-skid surface throughout the interior. I just wish he'd have gotten something other than black, which gets damned hot in the summer.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Paddy

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »
I'd better get that before the next IED goes off near my truck.  laugh

esheato

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 02:50:06 PM »
I have it in my Silverado also. The bed drains properly and I was told if I ever rip, tear or punch a hole in it to come back and they'll patch it up for free.

I have no complaints except for the price (around $500 for bed, tailgate and bed rails)

Ed

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 06:13:21 PM »
I wonder what they'd charge for the entire pickup to be so treated?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 06:25:42 PM »
Only two uses for LineX?  Truck beds and brick walls?  How about cars?  Houses?  Boats?  Can it be used as a cast for fractured bones?  What about coating your lap-top for shock-proofing?  If I coat myself with it, will it keep me from aging?  I should try it on the wife first, and see how she holds up. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 11:45:42 PM »
I wonder what they'd charge for the entire pickup to be so treated?

About 1200 bucks, my BIL had his QuadCab Dodge coated in it.  They mixed OEM colored paint in with it.  Can't even tell until your about 5-10 feet away.  Had I known that 10 years ago, mine would not be black because, yes, it get's real hot in the winter.

However, my BIL is not a wheeling type, he thinks he is, but I've never seen a spec of mud on that truck.  Once that stuff gets that clay laden mud on it, it's a bear to get clean, real bear.  I just live with that mud stained look.  It's not bad, but it's not perfectly clean either.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 05:12:33 AM »
Once that stuff gets that clay laden mud on it, it's a bear to get clean, real bear.

Nuts. I was thinking of getting my lab Line-Xed, but I guess it would only make her look dirtier.  laugh