Author Topic: More Strange Squirrel News  (Read 2442 times)

MechAg94

• friend
More Strange Squirrel News
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:04:11 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071117/ap_on_fe_st/odd_mystery_animal
 Mystery Fla. animal likely a squirrel
MACCLENNY, Fla. - An animal sneaking around Baker County is not an orangutan as originally thought but likely a fox squirrel, state wildlife officials said Friday. Officers with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission laid doughnuts at a base of a tree after residents reported seeing a "big orange ball of fur."
ADVERTISEMENT

The animal was probably an orange phase fox squirrel, Fish and Wildlife investigator Ken Holmes told The Florida Times-Union. The red-orange animals can grow to be about 2 feet tall and can climb in trees.

"I'll be astonished if it's an orangutan," Holmes said. "I can quite confidently say it's probably not an orangutan."

He said the animal's eating habits did not match with the patterns of a primate.

"I'm not discounting anything," Holmes said. "However, this creature, whatever it may be, simply isn't acting like a primate."
How the hell do you mistake a squirrel for an orangutan!?  Someone needs to take a break from the medial marijuana. 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071030/od_afp/usanimalsgastronomyoffbeat_071030183620
 Good news for New Jersey squirrel eaters
Tue Oct 30, 2:36 PM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - Squirrel eaters in the US state of New Jersey have been told that the bushy-tailed rodents are likely safe to eat, after earlier being advised the unlikely delicacies could contain toxic metals.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Environmental Protection Agency said earlier this year it had discovered high levels of lead in a squirrel taken from near a waste dump in the Ringwood area and advised people to eat the rodents no more than twice a week.

Officials have now said the test results were an error.

"A blender that was used to process the tissues into usable samples was defective and was identified as the source of the lead contamination," the Environmental Protection Agency said in a statement dated Monday.

The New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife describes squirrel as "good table fare," offering recipes for squirrel chowder, stew and barbecue.
Thankfully, we can still eat them.  Don't use a blender though.  Dang, it never occurred me to throw one in a blender.  I guess you could make an omelet.   Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: More Strange Squirrel News
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 06:09:40 AM »
Squirrel puree' ?I do know for a certain fact that squirrels will eat the lead sheathing off of telephone cables. I wonder if that could cause a significant lead level?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 06:13:28 AM »
I remember the grizzly adams looking guy that was teaching me the hunter's safety course. He says, "You can hunt squirrels. I don't know why anyone would because there ain't enough meat on 'em to make a sandwich."

I thought that was pretty funny myself.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 06:16:02 AM »
The animal conspiracy continues.  Squirrels are the recon elements and sappers

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071120/ap_on_fe_st/odd_squirrel_outages

ASHLAND, Wis. - It was an unlucky day for two squirrels and hundreds of Midwestern power customers.

Brian Elwood, a spokesman for Xcel Energy, said a squirrel came in contact with an overhead transformer and knocked out service to 177 customers Monday. Power was fully restored in just under an hour, and repair crews found the remains of the "unfortunate squirrel," he said.

By coincidence, another squirrel got into a substation 40 miles away in Ironwood, Mich., Monday morning and caused a temporary outage that affected about 1,400 customers in Ironwood and two nearby communities, Elwood said.

The utility takes many preventive steps to keep the curious animals away from lines, he said, but they are one of the leading causes of outages, trailing only severe weather.

"We kind of liken it to anyone who's had a bird feeder and tried to keep the squirrels out," he said. "They find a way."

Rodney Johnson was stuck on an elevator at the city's Enterprise Center, where he works, when the power went out.

"For a couple of minutes there, I wasn't sure if I'd make it to Thanksgiving," said Johnson, who said he is somewhat claustrophobic. "They kept talking to me while they were trying to open it up, though, so that helped."

Once a firefighter opened the door, Johnson wasted no time in getting out.

"I'm surprised I didn't knock him down," he said.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 06:17:28 AM »
I don't know, maybe it was badgers DISGUISED as squirrels. Maybe the squirrels are getting a bad rap! Stranger things have happened...

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 06:20:46 AM »
For those who do not understand the Conspiracy:

http://www.vaguebuttrue.com/genius.htm#TheOtherAnimalsAreAginUs

The Other Animals Are Agin' Us
By Tim Bedore 2003

Did you see that in the paper the other day about those carp in the Mississippi River jumping into boats and bonking fisherman in the head? It's true. They're called big head carp, they're from Asia and they're attacking and severely injuring many fisherman.

Biologists claim the roar of boat motors agitates and excites these carp and they jump towards the sound but I think these biologists are naively missing an obvious connection. Fish are attacking fisherman. For the fish it's get them before they get you, kill or be killed. Even if these fisherman are practicing catch and release, that's a very painful, embarrassing experience for any fish and apparently they have had it.

What about the increase in mountain lion attacks? Great White sharks moving closer to shore? Moose have been showing up in towns and stomping on people. A squirrel was in my living room last spring. Am I the only one that sees a pattern here? People, wise up! The other animals are against us. It doesn't take a genius to see there's an inter-species conspiracy to thwart the urban expansion of man.

How do the squirrels fit in? Surveillance. They spy on what we people are doing in the cities and report back to the bigger species out there on the front lines.

And taken together these other species represent walking, we hope not yet talking, scratching, biting weapons of mass destruction. And if these other species can convince the insect world, for example a well known anti-human group like the killer bees, to join up our way of life and our democracy could be history.

The skeptical may ask why would these other species want to hurt us? Obviously, they hate us. They are jealous of our way of life. We swim in chlorinated, safe environment pools, then towel off and have an adult beverage. They are stuck eating sludge in the Mississippi, a river polluted by guess who: their mortal enemy man. And to top it all off we eat them.

This invasion of Asian carp is no accident. This is stage one of their well planned attack. We ignore the obvious at our own peril.

We can no longer sit back and wait for them to attack us. It's time we adopt a new doctrine regarding these other animals. We have to wipe out any and all species who are a lined against us, wherever they are. We can not rest until every big head carp, great white shark, mountain lion, moose and squirrel and any other species that associates with them are defeated.

If the U.N. wants to get involved fine, if not we can do it alone. Of course the British will show up, they always do, but we will fight to protect our way of life. And if you don't agree, you're an unpatriotic idiot who hates America.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 06:22:57 AM »
Increase the dosage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:41:10 AM »
El T, as I used to sit in a tree stand, I cursed every squirrel in the woodlands. I SWORE that they were telling the deer that I was there !!!
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 08:02:17 AM »
See!

The Rod of Ra tell me the conspiracy grows!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:06:29 AM »
We're doomed ... DOOOOOOOOMED!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 08:19:45 AM »
Monkeyleg knows what caliber to use for squirrels...
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 08:33:52 AM »
I almost found out how well 6.5x55 works on squirrel this weekend when I was able to stalk within 10ft of a bushytail, but couldn't find any deer.

Chris

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 09:40:38 AM »
An animal sneaking around Baker County is not an orangutan as originally thought but likely a fox squirrel, state wildlife officials said Friday. Officers with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission laid doughnuts at a base of a tree after residents reported seeing a "big orange ball of fur."

anyone else immediately wonder how many cops were caught?
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 09:43:32 AM »
Sunday I had a squirrel attempt to get in the tree stand with me.

Bad squirrel!  Seats one!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »
You should have brought some pecans to bribe the squirrel not to tell the deer that you are there.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
Damned pecans are getting downright spendy up here in MN. I sure miss Texas and the pecan trees in our front yard.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 03:18:01 AM »
You should have brought some pecans to bribe the squirrel not to tell the deer that you are there.  Cheesy
Squirrels were doing just fine with food.  Little buggers are loud when they eat, too.  Loud when they do just about anything.

If I'd been squirrel hunting, I could've taking a deer's weight in squirrels.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 08:20:06 AM »
Mech, not pecans up here, but walnuts and acorns.  Square mile after square mile of walnuts and acorns.

The forest was so dense we put in on the state seal.  Of course, this being Indiana, we put a pic of a guy chopping the trees down to drive the bunny huggers nuts:  http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/seals/in_seal.htm

State Seal PC Police=> police

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 07:35:45 AM »
coincidentally i just watched "the birds" on amc last night.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 09:58:42 AM »
Thankfully, we can still eat them.  Don't use a blender though.  Dang, it never occurred me to throw one in a blender.  I guess you could make an omelet.   

The Super Squirrel-o-matic 9000!   Call Today!

Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.    "MMMM.  That's some squirrel!"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

gaston_45

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 12:57:09 PM »

280plus

• friend

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »

Anybody else thinking what I'm thinking?

Glock Torture Test!

Whirrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.