Author Topic: Egypt and Libya embassy attacks  (Read 46463 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Embassy Marines in Egypt Disarmed by US Ambassador??
« Reply #125 on: September 13, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
What's the point of having Marines if they are unarmed?

You know how some homes have "Protected by ADT"-type signs, but don't actually have a security system? Apparently the ambassador thought that was a great idea for an embassy in a potentially hostile area, too.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Egypt and Libya embassy attacks
« Reply #126 on: September 13, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
And it really doesn't matter in regards to your statement anyways, CSD:

Gaddafi had yielded to Bush II.  He said, "Libya will be turr'ist no more."  And fed us intel and worked with us.

He became our ally.

Yeah, he was still a dictator.  But that's between him and his people to resolve.  We resolved it with the Brits ourselves, 237 years ago.  The french helped towards the end, but mostly out of self interest themselves.  It's not our place to foment revolution everywhere in the world.  Let people choose their own government.  That's a function of Liberty:  if people want to live under a dictator, so be it.

We (the USA) were safe after Gaddafi's conversion to peace, even if it was by direct intimidation.

No reason to go and poke the bear by destabilizing the region deliberately, and building another Hussein Bin Laden Abu Sufyan.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #127 on: September 13, 2012, 04:44:19 PM »
You know how some homes have "Protected by ADT"-type signs, but don't actually have a security system? Apparently the ambassador thought that was a great idea for an embassy in a potentially hostile area, too.

While Marines are typically relied on to defend U.S. territory abroad, such as embassies, these reports indicate that the Obama administration was relying on Egypt’s new Muslim Brotherhood-backed government to ensure American security

OMG I'm about to have a stroke  :O
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #128 on: September 13, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »
What was that whole thing in Beirut again? Anybody remember that?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »

Intentionally staying out of this.

But that's not an al Qaeda flag. It's a generic Islamic flag. I believe it says "There is no God but Allah".

Still needs to be torn down. Honestly, I wonder why we keep embassies in unstable parts of the ME. Oddly enough, bad things keep happening to them and we continue to be dumb enough to send folks there. Well, honestly, I don't mind sending State Department employees. But it sucks that we send humans there as well.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
What was that whole thing in Beirut again? Anybody remember that?

Yes. The most expensive lessons are those we refuse to learn from.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2012, 05:24:52 PM »
http://www.vice.com/read/al-qaeda-plants-its-flag-in-libya

The rebels have either made new friends, or revealed old friends, or AQ has infiltrated the rebel movement.

so no then?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2012, 05:38:26 PM »
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
What's the point of having Marines if they are unarmed?

Most of the military guarding things right after 9/11 was officially unarmed. FIGHTERS over the US on 9/11 were unarmed. Colonel Marc Sasseville and Major Heather Penney were expected to ram Flight 93. Military is usually not allowed to be armed except at the range domestically. Unarmed gate guards were common, probably still are.

Happens all the time.

Folks have this odd tendency to believe the military is in the business of protecting America or Americans. That's pretty rare.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
Most of the military guarding things right after 9/11 was officially unarmed. FIGHTERS over the US on 9/11 were unarmed. Colonel Marc Sasseville and Major Heather Penney were expected to ram Flight 93. Military is usually not allowed to be armed except at the range domestically. Unarmed gate guards were common, probably still are.

Happens all the time.

Folks have this odd tendency to believe the military is in the business of protecting America or Americans. That's pretty rare.

This.

My unit still had vets from the GHWB invasion of Panama, when I was in.  According to them, everyone in the unit, down to E-2s (TIS brought E-1s to E-2 by the time they got to my unit) had all the ordnance they could carry: beau coup rounds, grenades, 2x LAWs, demo, etc. 

They took one airfield and then another unit came by to reinforce them.  Just at that time, a rumor went around about a Panamanian infantry battalion on the way to retake the airfield.  The members of the other unit were worried, as the policy in that unit, in a mother-&#%@ing war zone, was that only the Squad leader could throw a grenade, and he was allowed to carry only one.  Their other munitions were similarly allotted.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
credible?
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »

Happens all the time.

It is rare. It's also *expletive deleted*ing assinine.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »
People tend to underestimate how many different factions exist in nearly every Middle-Eastern country.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »
People tend to underestimate how many different factions exist in nearly every Middle-Eastern country.

The US completely misunderstands the mob rule that exists in the Middle East.
I don't think that much of anybody really does understand.
Just a bunch of factions and warlords.

It is like an Abbot & Costello Whose On First routine.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
The US completely misunderstands the mob rule that exists in the Middle East.
I don't think that much of anybody really does understand.
Just a bunch of factions and warlords.

It is like an Abbot & Costello Whose On First routine.

Personally I'm sick of Americans dying over in the middle east kittylitter box.

The only way I can express my displeasure to the power brokers is to not vote for any of the clowns that want to continue to support our enemies with foreign aid.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »

Well exactly.  According to some reports over here, a decent sized portion of the mob that stormed the consulate took the ambassador out, put him and a wounded companion in a couple of cars and ran him straight down to what passes for a local A+E. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2012, 07:19:24 PM »
A report I heard earlier on Fox News has authorities denying that the Marines had no ammunition.
Don't know where this story is going.
It would be crazy if they were carrying unloaded guns because there is a name for soldiers whos guns are unloaded:

TARGETS
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: credible?
« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2012, 07:26:07 PM »
There are already two threads discussing this... let's try to avoid starting a bazillion threads
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2012, 07:28:18 PM »
If true, this exceeds the boundaries of any moral codes agreed upon since the Dark Ages.  

Perfectly legitimate for the US, even acting in a reserved Obama-ish way, to deploy waves of assassins from the CIA, SEALs, whatever, to kill whomever was involved.  And make examples.  Painful examples.

Frankly, the Libyan government should be doing this already, for an insult of this magnitude.  And offering complete oversight to the State Department in advance, along with lead on any missions they would like.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »

Happens all the time.

Of course, sometimes an armed F16 strafes a school...in new jersey IIRC.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »
I don't know how it is NOW but when I was in, base security carried one of everything* we used in the vehicles and there was 4x in the guard shacks.  I was at Seal Beach Nav Weap Sta. Jan 88 to Jul 90.  (NEC 9545).

I can't imagine being unarmed in a hostile environment and I was just in CA.  Those that disarm our service members should be tried for accomplice to murder. (those that are alive)

*Remington 870 12 ga
M-16A1 .223
S&W .38 Revolver (this changed when we were allowed the Barettas)

Panama - Howard AFB - I got to carry whatever I wanted and knew how to use out of the armory.  I was not supposed to leave the building, I was just there for a Capt, picking up some stuff...  This was back when it was ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

• friends
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2012, 07:53:31 PM »
as f'd up as this story is i am equally disturbed by the secretary of apologies and the apologist in chiefs response. or lack of one. if they knew and peddled the "they carried him to the hospital" lie for political expediency they are both dead to me.  not as a threat of violence but to indicate that they no longer exist as human to me

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2012, 08:12:45 PM »
Gashing teeth....bastids.....maybe just trying to piss us off.

Still. though.....it's working.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2012, 08:28:54 PM »
Several related Libya threads merged together.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2012, 08:36:30 PM »
Unarmed gate guards were common, probably still are.

Yeeaaah, not so much.

I stood various armed watches when I was in: Pier sentry, flight deck rover, gate guard, quarter deck cover, interior rover, pier rover. All of them included live ammo. (Variously, armed with M500, M9, M14 or M60.)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2012, 09:40:23 PM »

Panama - Howard AFB

I was at Howard in 90-91! (after Just Cause)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G