Author Topic: Walking dead season 4  (Read 79425 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Walking dead season 4
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
The sad thing is that I think any of us, on our worst days, could come up with a dozen different ways of bracing/fortifying the fence that would be easier AND more secure...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2013, 10:41:05 AM »
The sad thing is that I think any of us, on our worst days, could come up with a dozen different ways of bracing/fortifying the fence that would be easier AND more secure...

Cars and trucks stacked up on the inside would work quite well.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »
Freaking Hollywood writers.

The  :facepalm: is that they all saw Woodbury and how it was zed free.

Of course, maybe there is an implication of complacency with Rick's breakdown and whatnot.  Now they're realizing that you don't get a moment, not one to break down, breathe or stop.

The problem with Woodbury was the guy in charge was psychopathic.  And who said they didn't have Zed incursions?  Non were shown IIRC but maybe that's why they developed their sentry service ...  do our guys in the prison have that? -- 'Cause they oughtta have the right settup for it with those guard towers.

Looking at that emergency buildup of Zeds at the fence, I couldn't stop thinking about how easy that would be to resolve if Carol and the hippy couple were there to help poke the sticks through the fence.  Rick is a terrible terrible 'leader.'  

Rick is chronically exhausted.  Not physically (although perhaps that as well) I mean spiritually.  
They should have more of their minions on Zed Poker duty. Perhaps after the mystery superflu is extinguished, they'll do it.

But I have a feeling the "governor" is gonna complicate matters .. .... >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2013, 10:44:43 AM »
What gets me is if there's a constant crush of zeds against the fence, and Maggie is sitting there for hours stabbing heads... where do all the dead bodies go?

Stab. Stab. Stab. Stab.  There's 4 corpses.  All the walkers should now be trampling on top of those corpses, and the next row should be six inches to a foot higher.  A mound of bodies would be there very shortly.  The walkers climb the bodies, but Maggie or other stabbers have nothing to climb to get to the elevated targets.

Granted, the walkers want to get to her, and not necessarily "inside."  So if she walks sideways the herd will follow her to another low spot.  But doing that for an hour is going to result in hundreds of bodies on the ground.  Eventually,  the whole fence is going to be lined by downed walkers.  Especially if the problem is as bad as it was presented.

Frankly, I think that was too many walkers at too close of a range for Rick and Carl to survive, even with M4's.  Must have been a couple hundred walkers that pushed down the fence.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »

Maybe.   If the Zeds got past the fence they'd just walk over them.   Oh wait, that was "WORLD WAR Z"
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2013, 11:03:29 AM »

That's what I've been screaming about for a long time... they're not using stuff in the environment to any purpose or effect. Electrical cable, rail road rails... TONS of stuff out there...

"where do all the dead bodies go?"

The Zombie Valkyries come down and fly them to Zombhalla...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

*expletive deleted*ing buses man.  Things are surely everywhere. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2013, 11:40:02 AM »

The Zombie Valkyries come down and fly them to Zombhalla...

AHHHHHHHH, AH! AHHHHHHHHH, AH!

I come from the land of the ice and snow. :)

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2013, 09:57:59 PM »

No fracking shyt.

All the old relic forts, all over the country, are far superior to the prison or the fortified town.  The one I remember best is Fort Snelling in Minnesota.  Giant freakin' walls, easily sealed gates, wells inside the walls, lots of ground inside the fort for cultivation, primitive worksites already in place for blacksmithing and woodworking.

Frankly, I'd want an island though.  Either that, or a mountain valley at about 3000 feet elevation, completely surrounded by peaks at least 8000 feet high on all sides.  A depression in a mountain range, a la Galt's Gulch.  Zed doesn't explore, he just wanders.  The hard work of massive elevation climbs wouldn't appeal to zed on the subconscious level he operates at.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2013, 09:58:40 PM »
AHHHHHHHH, AH! AHHHHHHHHH, AH!

I come from the land of the ice and snow. :)

With a side of Led Zeppelin! My favorite band in case you haven't figured it out!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2013, 09:12:39 AM »
They're already in Georgia.  The Atlantic coast of which is dotted with islands.
But even staying with the prison.  Pre outbreak, they had the manpower to fortify it hardily. 
JD

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2013, 12:04:12 AM »
Guess the rest of the cast wanted a week off.  Looks like the Gov is starting to rebuild his followers.

Other shows have depicted zeds walking under water - why'd the zed walk under water? to get to the other side.  Maybe in shallow water, deep water and they'd start floating instead of walking.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
Guess the rest of the cast wanted a week off.  Looks like the Gov is starting to rebuild his followers.

Other shows have depicted zeds walking under water - why'd the zed walk under water? to get to the other side.  Maybe in shallow water, deep water and they'd start floating instead of walking.

Agreed.  And these zeds aren't horribly mobile.  Remember back what, two seasons when they were at the farm and the zeds regularly got stuck in the riverbottoms?  Coastal marsh/swamp seems like it would probably be pretty hard on them.

And yeah...new followers.  Not good.
JD

HankB

• friend
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »
. . . The one I remember best is Fort Snelling in Minnesota.  Giant freakin' walls, easily sealed gates, wells inside the walls, lots of ground inside the fort for cultivation, primitive worksites already in place for blacksmithing and woodworking . . .
And there were cannon ports in the protruding blockhouses so they could fire a charge of cannister parallel to the walls and "clear" whoever/whatever was trying to scale them.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »
Done right, the prison would be about as secure as it gets.  The framework is there, which would have protected them while they did the work. 
JD

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »
Guess the rest of the cast wanted a week off.  Looks like the Gov is starting to rebuild his followers.

Other shows have depicted zeds walking under water - why'd the zed walk under water? to get to the other side.  Maybe in shallow water, deep water and they'd start floating instead of walking.

I got the impression from the way the governor acted, as well as the discussion in the following talkshow (the actor portraying the governor was on) that the governor has had, or undergoing, an "epiphany," or redemption.
Maybe...just maybe.  I do see the seeds for it.  The enervated persona, his protective instincts toward the young girl.  

Maybe......

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
I got the impression from the way the governor acted, as well as the discussion in the following talkshow (the actor portraying the governor was on) that the governor has had, or undergoing, an "epiphany," or redemption.
Maybe...just maybe.  I do see the seeds for it.  The enervated persona, his protective instincts toward the young girl.  

Maybe......

There was hints otherwise. The chess game is a big one.  That was deliberate on the part of the writers.
JD

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
There was hints otherwise. The chess game is a big one.  That was deliberate on the part of the writers.
Everything on the show is "deliberate on the part of the writers."   
It could go either way though.
We'll see.  ;)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2013, 11:46:05 AM »
And then there were the voices they heard on the radio just before Daryl jacked up the Charger on the walkers.  Obviously there is another group of survivors out there they will interact with at some point.  I wonder where they will take that part of the story?

"Zombie radio, 97.3 FM.  The hits keep shambling on!"
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #170 on: November 24, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
And then there were the voices they heard on the radio just before Daryl jacked up the Charger on the walkers.  Obviously there is another group of survivors out there they will interact with at some point.  I wonder where they will take that part of the story?

"Zombie radio, 97.3 FM.  The hits keep shambling on!"

That got me to thinking that they're missing shortwave radio. Of course it's something we would think about, being as SHTF oriented as we are at APS, that the writers might not necessarily be aware of. If it were me though, I would have hit an electronics store a few seasons ago and started monitoring the SW.

The only radio comms I remember them trying is Rick's handheld, which if it works off repeaters like other gov radios, AFAIK, wouldn't have actually worked to communicate (unless they were close to each other) with the guy he gave the other one to in season 1, because the repeater towers would have lost power.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #171 on: November 24, 2013, 12:31:45 PM »
The only radio comms I remember them trying is Rick's handheld, which if it works off repeaters like other gov radios, AFAIK, wouldn't have actually worked to communicate (unless they were close to each other) with the guy he gave the other one to in season 1, because the repeater towers would have lost power.

Many of the public service and business band radios are also programmed with 'talk around' channels, aka simplex.  So it still makes sense that Rick gave a radio to Morgan.  However, the farther away he ranged from where he met Morgan and his kid, the less likely they would have made contact as simplex comms at VHF and UHF frequencies is essentially line of sight.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #172 on: November 24, 2013, 12:52:21 PM »
Many of the public service and business band radios are also programmed with 'talk around' channels, aka simplex.  So it still makes sense that Rick gave a radio to Morgan.  However, the farther away he ranged from where he met Morgan and his kid, the less likely they would have made contact as simplex comms at VHF and UHF frequencies is essentially line of sight.

Yeah, that's what I meant about them being close to each other. I've never talked on one without using a repeater, but figured radio to radio, even on the high end handsets, it still wasn't gonna be much farther than GRMS radios. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #173 on: November 24, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »
Yeah, that's what I meant about them being close to each other. I've never talked on one without using a repeater, but figured radio to radio, even on the high end handsets, it still wasn't gonna be much farther than GRMS radios. :)

Ah, gotcha.
Get a few APSer types on that show, at least one with some comms experience, and AMC would run out of story lines pretty quick.  'Teh stoopid' would come to a complete stop, survival rates would improve, walkers would be efficiently cleared out of the area, folks would get along better, bad people would get the walker treatment post haste...not much else to build a story around.  The show would last what, one more season maybe?

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #174 on: November 24, 2013, 10:21:38 PM »

Cue Jack Nicholson from "The Shining;"   "Heeeerrrrre's Johhhhhnnny!" ~~ The Governor!

I guess epiphanies are too much to hope for in Zombieville.   
Underwater zombie was a nice touch.