Author Topic: Walking dead season 4  (Read 79413 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Walking dead season 4
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »
You know, I wonder how an old-style ice axe would work.... Not one of the modern ones with all of the serrations and the funky curves, but one like this...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ice_axe_Stubai_1970s.JPG

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2014, 03:03:35 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2014, 03:04:23 PM »
What are you guys, a bunch of commie furriners?  =D everyone knows the traditional American close combat weapon is the E-Tool. Ya got yer edge, ya got yer flat, and ya can cover up the poop with it.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2014, 07:23:41 PM »
Half-swording really works with either a single-edged blade, like a katana or a cutlass, OR if you're wearing a mail glove.

With a double-edged weapon and an unprotected hand, it doesn't work so well...

But, curved bladed weapons are really what you want in this type of situation because when you slash with them, the curved blade makes for a naturally active cut. It's not a straight forward chop like a long sword.

It is both a defensive move AND an offensive move.

If I hit the zombie apocalypse, I know exactly where I'm heading for all of the katanas, GOOD katanas, I can eat...

A museum I used to work at has literally dozens of them that were surrendered after World War II. Japanese officer's swords, so the quality is quite high.

A high school friend of mine's father fought in WW2 in the Pacific Theater.  Amongst a number of war trophies he had was a Katana.  This was @25-30 years after the war.   That weapon was one of the finest made edged weapons I ever saw.   You did NOT want to mess around with that thing. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

brimic

• friends
« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »
I'm with HT on the easy to find estwing warhammer.
Katanas and swords if +1 turn undead are cool and all, but being well fed as you are now, how many times can yiu effectively swing it before becoming fatigued? How many times on a limited energy diet if scrounged food.?
Chemical energy trumps all- until it runs out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
If I hit the zombie apocalypse, I know exactly where I'm heading for all of the katanas, GOOD katanas, I can eat...

That's a definite qualifier. I'm pretty sure one of those gun show so-called katanas would snap after the first zombie skull encounter. A few years back I almost bought one of the Cold Steel katanas, but then thought it to be too much of a splurge for a whim purchase. Now kinda wish I had though, as the current price is outrageously expensive.

I wonder how well one of them there Assegai's would work?  I think it would hinge on being able to easily and quickly pull it back out of the various noggins you stuck it in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2014, 10:47:58 PM »
If you're hacking away at skulls and the like (not the marshmallow skulls on TWD), you really do need quality steel.

I always thought that a good stabbing weapon would be a piece of tempered drill rod, ground down to a long, tapering point, and epoxied into a long handle. Sort of like an icepick on steroids.

You'd have to choose carefully so that you had one that would penetrate well without bending or snapping.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2014, 02:17:29 PM »
Hell I'd think a good improvised pole spear out of pretty much anything might be a good idea most of the time. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2014, 02:20:16 PM »
Hell I'd think a good improvised pole spear out of pretty much anything might be a good idea most of the time. 

spontoons! 
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2014, 03:21:01 PM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
seems like they would entangle in nets and be quite gullible

Carl could of taken off running, turned a corner, doubled back and hammered them
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out why he was trying to draw them away...

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2014, 03:43:55 PM »
he was protecting his dad who seems to have +4 sleep of gunshot healing powers

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
http://Armor.com/pole214.html

I don't know that I would want a short, broad tip. Rather a pole with the tip Mike mentioned, looking more like an ice pick. I would want something long and thin that I could tickle their brain with a little, but then pull out quickly and easily. The more surface you insert, it seems the more likely that you might get it stuck.

Just the tip.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
Had to google it.

What you didn't know about them? Even the mighty Col Jeff Cooper talked about spontoons.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
hows about a heavy spring loaded OTF stiletto polearm?

Kinda like Anton's captured bolt gun, in a manual cock, so theres no hoses or required blank ammo charge.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

brimic

• friends
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »
hows about a heavy spring loaded OTF stiletto polearm?

Kinda like Anton's captured bolt gun, in a manual cock, so theres no hoses or required blank ammo charge.

bangstick ftw.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
a bangstick is a slow reload

but they do come in 50 bmg

http://youtu.be/E64OsKZGLgQ

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out why he was trying to draw them away...

I figured it wasn't so much drawing them away, as it was to make sure that if the shots drew more, they wouldn't crowd around the house.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »
Seems like anything needing to be cocked or reloaded would be too slow if/when there's a pile of walkers coming.

How much brain damage is required to put one down?  Would a 3/8" rod do enough damage?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #248 on: February 12, 2014, 09:08:46 PM »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »
I figured it wasn't so much drawing them away, as it was to make sure that if the shots drew more, they wouldn't crowd around the house.

Yeah I think he wanted to shoot them, or draw them away then sneak back to the house.
JD