Author Topic: Giant stick mags  (Read 12369 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Giant stick mags
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »
How does everyone feel about fertilizer? Killed 168.

We obviously need an assault nitrogen ban. Up to 25-pound bags are okay after a 3-day waiting period, but 50- and 100-pound bags are only for LEOs and military use.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
We obviously need an assault nitrogen ban. Up to 25-pound bags are okay after a 3-day waiting period, but 50- and 100-pound bags are only for LEOs and military use.

There's a really good comment about LEOs and "fertilizer" lying in there somewhere...   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »
How does everyone feel about fertilizer? Killed 168.
Ban it today!  But you'd better not touch my heating oil.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
Don't take back everything.  Dude who bought the 33rd Glock mag in honor of Cho is still creepy.  But, now you can also consider him a nitwit.

I call that a win.

Word.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
BTW, y-all.  Who has a good price on the Glock 33 rounders?  I know CDNN has a good price on the Korean aftermarket ("New Asian Military "), but if they're like the KDI 15 rounders I've got the springs will be anemic and need replacing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »
Oh, please. Really? Are you kidding me?

Virtually noone buys a sports car without the intent to drive it unsafely, endangering the lives of other road users.  Plenty of people buy extended mags to use safely at the range.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2011, 08:16:36 PM »
Virtually noone buys a sports car without the intent to drive it unsafely, endangering the lives of other road users.

Please tell me you're not serious.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
Virtually noone buys a sports car without the intent to drive it unsafely, endangering the lives of other road users.  Plenty of people buy extended mags to use safely at the range.

And plenty of people don't buy sports cars because they don't like their features and don't like the image they project.  Ftr, I also don't buy parsnips, pointy-toed shoes, or Raynovac batteries.  Are those preference ok with you, or do they mean I'm an anti-vegetable parsnip banner who also has it in for the shoe and battery industries?

I retracted the portion of the statement I made suggesting it might be appropriate to impute my opinion on others, as it was based on incorrect information.  I maintain that I do not like and will not buy Glock 33rd magazines.  My range disallows more than five rounds per mag (freeway is just above the berm, concerns about muzzle climb with rapid fire) and I don't own a Glock.  No Glock is on my top twenty guns to buy when I can afford to buy guns.  I don't plan on ever carrying a 9mm. for self-defense, most likely calibers are .40, .45, and .380.   And I don't like them.  I like a mag that fits neatly into the mag-well.  I like the way it looks and I like the way it feels.  I've seen an extended mag and I don't like it.  Why do you have a problem with this?

If it would make you feel better, I can assure you that the Calico 9mm carbine with 100 round drum magazine does make my personal top twenty list, or would if it was more reliable and had a better trigger.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2011, 08:27:13 PM »
BTW, y-all.  Who has a good price on the Glock 33 rounders?  I know CDNN has a good price on the Korean aftermarket ("New Asian Military "), but if they're like the KDI 15 rounders I've got the springs will be anemic and need replacing.

You don't want to buy anything but genuine Glock mags...those Korean knockoffs are generally crap.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2011, 09:33:26 PM »
Please tell me you're not serious.

The highest speed limits in the US are well within the reach of a Ford Focus.  Do you honestly think people pay 3x or more just for styling without any plans to "let them ponies run?"  If that were the case, there would be a huge crop of highly efficient and cheap to produce econoboxes built into molded fiberglass Mustang and Corvette  shells.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2011, 10:05:47 PM »
BTW, y-all.  Who has a good price on the Glock 33 rounders?  I know CDNN has a good price on the Korean aftermarket ("New Asian Military "), but if they're like the KDI 15 rounders I've got the springs will be anemic and need replacing.

Up until yesterday, CDNN had the Glock 33-rounders for 29.99. That is usually the best price.  Lots of places are selling out of them thanks to some panic buying.  This week a good price is about $40 from Glockmeister or 44mag.com 

The asian 33 rounders don't work very well, they have a lot of burrs inside that the spring hang-up on.  I have had decent luck with the asian Flush -fit sizes, but I still wouldn't carry with them.  I use so that I can fill up a bunch of mags at home and get more trigger time on a range trip. My gen4 glock 17 has had 5k round through it so far, and it has had 6 FTRB.  All six of those instances were with one of the asian mags.   
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2011, 10:13:29 PM »
Thread drift alert.

The highest speed limits in the US are well within the reach of a Ford Focus.  Do you honestly think people pay 3x or more just for styling without any plans to "let them ponies run?"

There is a lot more to a sports car than top end.  Acceleration, handling and braking are all markedly better than the average automobile.  Having superior performance in those categories makes the car safer, not more dangerous.

Your assertion that:
Virtually noone buys a sports car without the intent to drive it unsafely

is simply not true.  I know a number of such owners who take their driving (on the street and on the track) very seriously, and they rarely get into collisions.  A fun weekend for them is to go to a track (such as Laguna Seca) to "let the ponies run" as you put it.  But they do their racing at the track, not the local boulevard.

On the other hand, the distracted driver who is fiddling with his iPhone or Crackberry when he's supposed to be focused on driving, is definitely a menace to other motorists.

Yes, there are a few (usually young) drivers who do not behave responsibly, just as there are a few gun owners who behave irresponsibly.  To label most of us that way is inaccurate and unfair.

If that were the case, there would be a huge crop of highly efficient and cheap to produce econoboxes built into molded fiberglass Mustang and Corvette  shells.

Actually, there used to be a variety of swoopy-looking kits that fit on VW Beetle chassis.  I always thought they looked cheesy, but enough people bought them to keep the manufacturers in business.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »
There is a lot more to a sports car than top end.  Acceleration, handling and braking are all markedly better than the average automobile.  Having superior performance in those categories makes the car safer, not more dangerous.

Among those, only acceleration is a function of the engine, and most economy engines are still capable of excessive acceleration.  Aerodynamics only significantly affect top end and acceleration, so we could easily build a Chevette with the handling (okay, that would take some serious lead in the floorboards to move the CG - let's say a Sentra instead...though having owned a Sentra, that might be a bit of a stretch) and stopping traits of a Ferrari by changing the wheels, brakes, and suspension, and moving some weight around to get the CG in the right place. 

Of course, the recent Mustangs make a good counterexample; though it's never been publicized in any other way, most of the long-timers around here know exactly where I'm talking about when I say "Mustang corner" because at least four of them have gone off there in recent memory.  Big engine, not-so-bad handling, but incredibly crappy brakes that overheat too quickly on the backroads here, and cease to be properly analog just in time for a sharp corner with a little rise on the approach.  Yet it's still a highly desired sports car because it's fast.  The classic Camaros took a related but different approach, with a huge engine, good brakes, but handling reminiscent of a container ship.  They rarely make it to Mustang Corner because nobody wants to fight them around the other corners.

(Oddly, pickups rarely run off at MC, in spite of the number of goober kids around here that try to drive them like sports cars.  I suspect this may be another "don't make it that far" situation, since MC is one of the few places a pickup wouldn't be able to get itself back on the road, while there are plenty of other corners approaching it from either direction that will knock some sense into many drivers while still allowing them to limp their vehicle away before the landowner finds them.)

I know a number of such owners who take their driving (on the street and on the track) very seriously, and they rarely get into collisions.

I'm one of those people - or was, when I could afford to be.  Still, every collision I've had has been under 35mph, and three of the six involved backing out of parking spaces.  (One of the others involved mechanical failure, and another was being backed into while stopped at a light.  The last, I wasn't looking far enough along the cross street at a yield sign.)  That doesn't mean my current driving record reflects anything other than my ability to not get caught.  (Which includes not hitting stuff, since that tends to get one caught.)

Maintaining a track-only car is a lot cheaper than keeping a hot sports car fully street legal, and a lot easier on the nerves.  (Total it or blow the carefully tuned engine, and your regular car is still waiting to take you to work in the morning.)

Actually, there used to be a variety of swoopy-looking kits that fit on VW Beetle chassis.  I always thought they looked cheesy, but enough people bought them to keep the manufacturers in business.

Those things still just look like melted Beetles.  Nobody's building a 50MPG 55HP Viper lookalike.  Think that could be because people don't want one that can't smoke the tires and go triple digits?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »
Up until yesterday, CDNN had the Glock 33-rounders for 29.99. That is usually the best price.  Lots of places are selling out of them thanks to some panic buying.  This week a good price is about $40 from Glockmeister or 44mag.com 

The asian 33 rounders don't work very well, they have a lot of burrs inside that the spring hang-up on.  I have had decent luck with the asian Flush -fit sizes, but I still wouldn't carry with them.  I use so that I can fill up a bunch of mags at home and get more trigger time on a range trip. My gen4 glock 17 has had 5k round through it so far, and it has had 6 FTRB.  All six of those instances were with one of the asian mags.   
I got my high cap at a gun show so it was likely a knock off.  If I remember correctly, I couldn't get more than 10 rounds or so loaded and the follower was getting hung up even with that.  I'll have to look for the Glock mags.  Of course, I might just get a few more 15 rounders instead.

That also reminds me that I need to get a couple more 19 round mags for my 9mm XDM.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2011, 01:56:15 PM »
Among those, only acceleration is a function of the engine, and most economy engines are still capable of excessive acceleration. 

Define "excessive".

Aerodynamics only significantly affect top end and acceleration, so we could easily build a Chevette with the handling (okay, that would take some serious lead in the floorboards to move the CG - let's say a Sentra instead...though having owned a Sentra, that might be a bit of a stretch) and stopping traits of a Ferrari by changing the wheels, brakes, and suspension, and moving some weight around to get the CG in the right place. 

In other words, redesign the entire car, which it what it would take.

(Re the legend of Mustang Corner revealed)

All good and well, but Mustangs and Camaros are not sports cars, and anecdotes are not data.  Do you have any data proving that sports-car owners are more dangerous than the average driver?

I'm one of those people - or was, when I could afford to be.  Still, every collision I've had has been under 35mph, and three of the six involved backing out of parking spaces.  (One of the others involved mechanical failure, and another was being backed into while stopped at a light.  The last, I wasn't looking far enough along the cross street at a yield sign.) 

That is consistent with known data: most collisions occur at speeds under 40 mph.  So we can agree that speed is not a factor in most collisions.

That doesn't mean my current driving record reflects anything other than my ability to not get caught.  (Which includes not hitting stuff, since that tends to get one caught.)

A long-term driving record (say, 10 years or more) will indicate whether a driver is competent or not.  Over the years, the "ability to not get caught" become a non-factor.  If you're breaking traffic laws regularly, you will get caught.

Your criticism of sports cars and their owners (essentially, that no one needs to go faster than the posted limit) parallels the arguments of the anti-gun crowd (no one needs more than 10 rounds, no one needs a semi-automatic, no one needs to buy more than one gun per month).  The argument over "need" is irrelevant: if I buy a sports car with a 400hp engine, or a gun with a 30-round capacity, that is my business.  I'm not violating anyone's rights by doing either, nor am I endangering anyone's safety.  Suggesting that most sports-car owners drive dangerously is akin to suggesting that most gun owners are bloodthirsty killers.  Neither suggestion is supported by data.

(Re VW-based kit cars)
Those things still just look like melted Beetles.  Nobody's building a 50MPG 55HP Viper lookalike.  Think that could be because people don't want one that can't smoke the tires and go triple digits?

Superior performance appeals to a certain segment of the car market.  So does bragging rights.  I doubt that many Viper or Bugatti Veyron owners have ever put their car's maximum speed to the test.  Mostly they buy them for the attention.  A 55hp Viper lookalike will have no appeal to the performance crowd or the look-at-me crowd.  There is nothing to indicate that the owners of Vipers, Veyrons, Lamborghini Diablos, etc. are a danger to the public.

(minor point: lots of vehicles have a top speed in triple digits, including many pickup trucks and econoboxes.)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2011, 08:52:43 PM »
and my station wagon. :laugh:

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »
and my station wagon. :laugh:

Indeed. When I was little, Mom and Dad had a Chevy Station wagon rockin' a 454.  Talk about a high capacity, high speed death machine!   =D
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
No someone needs to take a stand against these dangerous assault vehicles. They are making assault vehicles with top speeds of nearly 200 mph!!! Who has a "legitimate" need to go 150 mph? The only reason you would need to go 150 mph is to outrun the police helicopters after you murder dozens of innocent people with a high capacity assault magazine. All vehicles should come with a governor that limits the speed to 80 mph MAXIMUM! That the highest sped you can travel legally, so why is there a need to make assault vehicles that travel MORE THAN DOUBLE THAT!!! Thousands of people are maimed and killed by these assault vehicles WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!