Author Topic: Pretzel logic on CCW in Wisconsin  (Read 54161 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Pretzel logic on CCW in Wisconsin
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »
...and LEO's to be in complete "I don't know what the **** is going on"-mode that states that get CCW go though for the first year or so...

That's ok. My retirement fund could use a boost.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
Is that when the permitting process would start? Apply Nov 1 and wait 30-60 days or if you are a WI resident with a non-resident CCW from another state could you carry in WI then (Nov 1)?

That's what I hear some WI people griping about, that out of staters will be able to carry before they get their permits back in the mail...   =)
I promise not to duck.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2011, 05:00:42 AM »
Then they should have gotten CCW passed and signed earlier.   :P

It will be nice to have one of the two black "rights denied" turn reciprocal red on the USA Carry map.

This will make my AK CHL good in 40 states and in 2 of the remaining I can get a non-res.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »
WI Assembly is taking up CCW today. They are expected to pass the version that passed the Senate earlier.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2011, 12:34:09 PM »
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/insession/assembly/index.htm

Watch it here. (nothing going on as of 11:32, retired for party caucuses)

Should be an entertaining slew of nonsensical Democrat amendments to be slapped down, then passage. With a little luck, someone from "our side" might stick a "big ugly colored sign" (safety orange, bigger than 8.5x11") amendment in there for businesses who want to post, but as-is, it's a huge victory.
I promise not to duck.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/insession/assembly/index.htm

Watch it here. (nothing going on as of 11:32, retired for party caucuses)

Should be an entertaining slew of nonsensical Democrat amendments to be slapped down, then passage. With a little luck, someone from "our side" might stick a "big ugly colored sign" (safety orange, bigger than 8.5x11") amendment in there for businesses who want to post, but as-is, it's a huge victory.
Would they have to have a conf. commitee then passed by both houses. Was there any signage language in the Senate bill? I do not remember if it was mentioned.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »
It has passed the assembly. On to Gov. Walker to be signed.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
I already had to inform the DPS up here that the page on AK reciprocity was wrong cause it didn't reflect Iowa's unilateral acceptence.

It'll be a pleasure telling them to be on the lookout for Wisconsin. =)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2011, 07:46:36 PM »
After twenty years of bills. Hallelujah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »
 =)
I promise not to duck.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2011, 10:07:29 PM »
Yay!
Andy

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2011, 02:13:37 PM »
Poor lonely little Illinois once Wisconsin goes blue...

AK has 37 state reciprocity, WI will make 38.

I can get a shall-issue non-res in WA (which has a stupid AG who can't read his own reciprocity law, should be blue right now) and in ME.

Oregon almost went open reciprocity this year, once they do the cultural/political divide on carry will be even more obvious.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:20:42 PM by Matthew Carberry »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2011, 10:35:17 PM »
So, are those people evil, or just stupid?

Yes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2011, 11:04:50 PM »
Woo-Hoo!

Monkeyleg, do you sell Bianchi holsters?

(I understand military vets and retired LE won't need to take any courses to get their WI CCW permits, either)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2011, 11:48:54 PM »
One of the distributors I deal with carries Bianchi. I don't get the greatest price from them, but I get better than retail. Which model are you looking for?

I really think that, considering the past history of Wisconsin's shall-issue bills, the NRA and the Republican legislature really outdid themselves in passing one of the best bills in the country. There's states that have been shall-issue for years that have restrictions not contained in the WI bill.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2011, 11:03:23 PM »
Okay, just so that this is clear as mud, since Handgunlaw.us has zero info (they don't even have an update showing this has passed  :facepalm:) and I can't find the actual bill/law, just that "legislative update" that's a memo, not the actual bill.

Can I carry North of the Cheddar Curtain starting on 1 Nov* with my PA Non-Resident permit.  I'll keep a copy of my DD214, Hunter Certificate and NRA Pistol Certificate handy.

Or will I get proned out by Barney Fife?

*(Not that I will be anywhere near the Cheddar Curtain in the foreseeable future.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:14:58 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2011, 11:35:20 PM »
After signing the AG is supposed to put out a list of reciprocal states.  Per the NRA guy involved it is unilateral mandatory reciprocity, no agreements necessary.

So, short answer is there's no answer to your question yet.

Longer answer, should be an answer shortly after signing posted on the WI DPS website.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #167 on: July 04, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »
ML, Bianchi #3S for 3" S&W L-Frame 696.

And if I didn't say so earlier, THANK YOU for your hard work in making this happen, even if you aren't present to enjoy the fruits of your earlier labors in Wisconsin!!! 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #168 on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:36 PM »
GW98, do you have a model number such as 17717? I looked at Bianchi's site and some retail sites, but there's a ton of model 3S holsters.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
Now we get to go through the whole, "who is going to post and not post"-hand wringing. Or which LEA's are going to "not care what the law says" and try to arrest CCW'ers or charge them with something or try to Terry-stop harass them into learning "who's still the boss".

Then after a year... or five, the belated editorials that "Yeah... no blood in the streets." as if this was some sort of revelation. Although be sure to catch the backhanded criticisms that there's no increase in justifiable self-defense shootings either. As if it was some sort of standard to the usefulness of CCW.

Mrs. Dual is nominally pro-carry, however gets resistant to the idea when you get down to actual particulars. She mentioned that on one of her metro area "mommy boards" someone was griping about the law, and surprisingly, the pro's outweighed the cons. Which she found somewhat refreshing.

However, just to assert her own independence, sort of "Bill O'Rielly-style" she said she agreed with the idea that "There's just some places a gun isn't appropriate, like the zoo.."

I agreed, and told her that's why we only wear seat belts when we think there's going to be a crash. Mrs. Dual told me she didn't want to argue with me and was sorry she mentioned it. Which is code for "You win, so I'm taking my ball and going home."  :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:17:27 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »

However, just to assert her own independence, sort of "Bill O'Rielly-style" she said she agreed with the idea that "There's just some places a gun isn't appropriate, like the zoo.."

I agreed, and told her that's why we only wear seat belts when we think there's going to be a crash. Mrs. Dual told me she didn't want to argue with me and was sorry she mentioned it. Which is code for "You win, so I'm taking my ball and going home."  :laugh:
Great come back. I will have to remember that one if someone makes a statement like that to me.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2011, 03:29:01 PM »
Great come back. I will have to remember that one if someone makes a statement like that to me.

I'm going to actually start removing my seatbelt in the car if/when it comes up again. And start countering her with "Why? These are our own local 'safe' roads?" and "What's the matter, are you planning on crashing?"

Note, Mrs. Dual is simply stubborn. She will never concede defeat or change her mind. The closest I'll ever get is that I might be able to "train" her through the negative stimulus that she does not like losing arguments, and as such to no longer protest, or bring the subject up.

She's the kind of person who'll almost never try something, or "like it" even if all things being equal, she would have liked it, just because she felt someone wanted her to like it. It's the same for shooting. She refuses to try it, simply because it's her stance she does not want to. She's not scared of shooting, nor would she find it unpleasant. She merely does not want to do it, because she knows I want her to try it.

And much like Monkeyleg's motorcycles and cars and his spouse, she has the resentful dynamic of any hobby or interest that is not focused on her.

The only way she would ever change her mind about it is that she met some woman-friend who is an avid shooter and suddenly decided to like shooting "on her own". You can sort of see the dynamic in that my prior post, the ONLY times she even mentions guns, shooting, RKBA-politics is when other women are talking about it, but quickly shuts down with pretty much any feedback from me, negative, positive, or neutral once she's reminded about how big a part of "gun culture" is my identity.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »
Maybe we should just marry some inflatable dolls, AJ. ;)

I'm 100% certain you're right about the newspapers waiting a year or five before reporting no blood in the streets.

What galls me is that, for all the years we were pushing this, the Journal Sentinel and other newspapers almost never pointed out that 48 other states have some form of CCW, with most being shall-issue, and no problems have arisen. The Journal Sentinel has said that to some extent recently, but even then not all that much.

If the media had talked about the experiences of other states, this wouldn't have been as difficult.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2011, 05:22:41 PM »
Eugene Kane's recent butthurt over passage of CCW was priceless.

He was just throwing everything against the wall (that he has left) and seeing what might stick. http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/124391814.html

Essentially he's saying "The cops and experts agree, you'll never actually shoot anyone". Then handwaves away the overwhelming number of states that have already passed CCW with "My mom said if your friends jumped off a bridge..." etc.

Usually Kane is better at dancing around what he REALLY means, but this time, he has no good way to "go there".
I promise not to duck.