Author Topic: Boycott the Knee?  (Read 22276 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Boycott the Knee?
« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2017, 11:13:34 AM »
Goodell really blew it. Rather than requiring the players to stand for the anthem in accordance with pre-existing league policy, he tried to appease the militant players, with no regard for the fans who ultimately foot the bill.

Just means the fans will have more money to support local HS and college football...you know, where the players actually have some team loyalty and spirit.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
:facepalm:

Some things should be printed up like the flag. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »
This weekend was the first time since I was a teenager that I didn't watch a single minute of a single game.

I literally no longer care about the NFL.

My brain finally broke when I heard some idiot describing NFL players, who are in many cases paid tens of millions of dollars, as slaves. But, only the African American players, obviously.

So, that's it. *expletive deleted*ck the NFL, *expletive deleted*ck professional football.
I was already a bit cold on the NFL since it seems to be run by a bunch of liberal idiots, but this whole business is well over that threshold for me.  I could watch Texans games as none of them took a knee I think, but I find myself not watching any of the games and none of the ESPN coverage.  It doesn't bother me.  I was a rabid Oilers fan at one time years ago, but I never reached that point since. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »
I watched a few minutes of the Dallas - 49ers game on Sunday because I was waiting for a friend to sign into his XBox so I could beat him like a drum on COD2, but that's it.

The Eagles (my former favorite team, until they picked up that dog abusing ahole bastard Michael Vick) and the Redskins played the Monday night game last night, and I could not have cared less.

One thing I have been watching, however, is the precipitous attendance decline this season.

Lots of wrangling back and forth about what the "real" cause is. Some people are quite vehement in saying that the "take a knee" controversy has nothing to do with the decline, but surveys are telling something of a different story.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2017, 11:09:16 AM »
One thing I have been watching, however, is the precipitous attendance decline this season.
That's probably good news for some people. I know someone who's number is about 125,000 on the waiting list for Packers season tickets...
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2017, 01:48:51 PM »
When I first moved to DC the Redskins had season ticket waiting lists like that.

Now that they've sucked for the better part of two decades, no so much.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »
Here's an interesting wrinkle...

https://sports.yahoo.com/maxwell-says-refused-over-kneeling-anthem-181006812--mlb.html?src=rss

White MLB player who took a knee during a game was recognized at a restaurant and the waiter refused to serve him.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2017, 02:30:52 PM »
Here's an interesting wrinkle...

https://sports.yahoo.com/maxwell-says-refused-over-kneeling-anthem-181006812--mlb.html?src=rss

White MLB player who took a knee during a game was recognized at a restaurant and the waiter refused to serve him.

Bake the cake, garçon!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
The waiter is telling a much different story - says he didn't even know who the guy was.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/22774/waiter-mlb-player-bruce-maxwell-made-story-about-joseph-curl

Also, I didn't know the "victim" was claiming that being denied service for his behavior was a form of "racial profiling."  :rofl:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
Hum... maybe the ballista was triggered by the barista not recognizing his fame...

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
Hum... maybe the ballista was triggered by the barista not recognizing his fame...

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?"

"Since you didn't bring your ID, you're the guy not getting a beer."

<Self-righteous ball player goes to the media to talk down about those backward Alabama waiters>
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2017, 07:23:19 AM »
Oh for *expletive deleted*ck's sake...

The Oakland A's catcher who knelt for the anthem, and later claimed a waiter dissed him because of it?

He's been arrested on a firearms charge after allegedly pointing a gun at a female food delivery person...

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/10/29/mlbs-bruce-maxwell-who-knelt-during-anthem-is-arrested-on-gun-charge.html?src=rss

This guy apparently has issues with the people who handle his food.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »
This guy apparently has issues with the people who handle his food.

Heh. I'm willing to bet he's a gun control proponent as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
Heh. I'm willing to bet he's a gun control proponent as well.

If he wasn't I bet he is now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »
"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?"

"Since you didn't bring your ID, you're the guy not getting a beer."

<Self-righteous ball player goes to the media to talk down about those backward Alabama waiters>

In fact, if I read the stories correctly he's the only one in his party who DID get a beer. His two companions didn't have valid IDs, so they were refused alcohol. They weren't refused service, they just weren't served alcohol.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
Veteran turns down award from New Orleans Saints because of their Anthem antics. The team's response?

“We will not allow Mr. Wells' decision and subsequent media appearances to distract our players and organization from continuing to honor and support our military and veterans. We, as an organization, have decided to move on from this sad and divisive discourse and focus our attention on supporting our military and veterans.”

It's all the vet's fault. He's the divisive one.  ;/

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/11/03/disabled-navy-vet-refuses-to-receive-award-from-saints-over-national-anthem-protests.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »
Veteran turns down award from New Orleans Saints because of their Anthem antics. The team's response?

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/11/03/disabled-navy-vet-refuses-to-receive-award-from-saints-over-national-anthem-protests.html

That's an amazing amount of doublethink:

"We're going to honor veterans!"
<Veteran explicitly states that you are dishonoring him and can't accept your "honor">
"We won't let this divisive jerk stop us from honoring veterans!"

Yeah, you're winning this fight, morons.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2017, 10:57:35 AM »

:facepalm:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2017, 11:08:29 AM »
As usual, the lamestream media are in complete denial.

http://www.newser.com/story/250983/papa-johns-kneeling-nfl-players-hurting-pizza-sales.html

A Bloomberg analyst says it's possible to see where Schnatter is coming from: fewer people watching football means fewer people ordering pizza or seeing ads for Papa John's, which has been the NFL's official pizza sponsor since 2010. But, as Slate notes, there's no evidence protests—either by players or offended fans—have been behind the decline in NFL viewership.

Nope, no evidence at all ... if you ignore all the quotes and statements and tweets from [former] fans who have made it perfectly clear why they're not watching NFL football this year.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2017, 10:48:54 AM »
As if we needed more bovine excrement from the media: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/local/columnists/kyle-munson/2017/11/02/iowa-cheerleader-id-rather-quit-team-than-stop-taks-dilemma-quit-protesting-national-anthem-quit-tea/823437001/

After much agonizing over the decision, Parker this week quit the cheer squad. She doesn't think peaceful protest should be confined to a time slot. She wanted to stick to her convictions.

“(Fighting) social injustice, standing up for what I believe in and using my voice for others who no longer have one: These are beliefs I hold to my core,” Parker wrote in a Facebook post announcing her move. “They are what make me Alyssa. I couldn't bring myself to give that up.”

Soldiers who fought and died for that flag no longer have a voice. What about them?

What quarterback Colin Kaepernick began last year in the NFL has since spread to colleges and high schools.

Cancers typically spread if not completely excised.

Other cheerleaders and athletes who knelt have since chosen to stand as required. Many of them enrolled in BVU specifically to join a team.

There's no one right answer for everybody.

But Parker weeks ago worried that the intended message of anthem-kneeling has been obscured in a din of misdirected outrage.

“Everybody’s talking about the action,” he said. “Nobody’s talking about the meaning. To me, I think that’s what continually lost around the country.”

Because the action, of itself, shows flagrant disrespect for the flag and the anthem. It doesn't matter what kind of costume you try to put on the pig, it's still a pig underneath. Kneeling rather than standing at attention during the playing of the national anthem IS disrespectful ... period.

Here comes the SJW editorial:

But letting Americans of conviction kneel during the anthem in silent protest is not a knock against the military. If anything, it’s a celebration of the freedom that our men and women in uniform fight to preserve.

But as a freedom-loving journalist, what would offend and worry (and scare) me more is when absolutely nobody is allowed to kneel at a game.

As a "freedom loving journalist," you should be aware that freedom carries responsibility, and actions carry consequences. The players and cheerleaders ARE free to kneel -- and the schools (and NFL employers) are free to remove them from the teams as a direct consequence of their actions, which (to put it bluntly) offend and piss off the fans.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
And now for some comic relief:

http://offthewire.com/california-naacp-calling-for-racist-anti-american-move-in-nfl/

The California NAACP wants Congress to abolish the national anthem because it's racist.

But ... what's this?

The resolution was passed as a measure of support for former NFL player Colin Kaepernick who is most remarkable as the inventor of the national anthem protest started at the beginning of the 2016 NFL football season.

“We owe a lot of it to Kaepernick,” said California NAACP President Alice Huffman, according to the Sacramento Bee.

Time out! I'm pretty certain Kaepernick claims he WASN'T protesting the national anthem, he was only protesting police thuggery against blacks. However, I'm quite certain that the California NAACP has much in common with the NFL -- I'd guess the NFL owes a lot to Kaepernick, too.  >:D

And talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill:

The organization justifies its criticism of the anthem because of the song’s original third verse, which was never included as the version approved by Congress as the country’s national song.

The original third verse, written by Francis Scott Key in 1814, reads, “No refuge could save the hireling and slave/From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave.”

This, the NAACP claimed, is a celebration of slavery.

But, the claim has been ridiculed by many historians who say that the words actually referred the British Navy’s practice of impressing American sailors into serving the Crown, essentially making them slaves to the British Navy.

That practice, known at the time as impressment, was one of the main causes of the War of 1812, the war that inspired the writing of the song.

But, regardless of what the original third verse meant or didn’t mean, a further point tends to debunk the “slavery” claim about the national anthem.

The version of the song that was officially enshrined as our national anthem does not even contain the purportedly offensive verse.

Sounds like the California NAACP is playing political air guitar.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2017, 11:55:08 AM »
The NFL owners are apparently contemplating keeping the teams in the locker rooms during the national anthem next year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/11/21/nfl-owners-weighing-change-to-anthem-policy-for-next-season-if-protests-continue/?utm_term=.f7973fef22e7

What do y'all think? Is this a solution, or a cop-out?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »
The NFL owners are apparently contemplating keeping the teams in the locker rooms during the national anthem next year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/11/21/nfl-owners-weighing-change-to-anthem-policy-for-next-season-if-protests-continue/?utm_term=.f7973fef22e7

Yes.

What's funny about the whole stupid debacle is I just don't get the singing of the anthem before a sporting event.  At best you could say the correlation is that we're a free(ish) nation and can therefore engage in frivolities such as sport for profit.
However, the equation is then that sporting events are patriotic, which I find idiotic.  Sporting events are entertainment.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »

It's a cop-out. If they'd have done it BEFORE this became an issue, it never would have become an issue.

Doing it now, as a "compromise" means everyone who is already boycotting will see it as further disrespect and those who are supporting the morons kneeling will claim it's "SILENCING THEIR FREE SPEECH".

NFL is going to take significant hits and this compromise won't fix it. Apparently they don't understand their purpose: Sports are an ESCAPE. The Social Justice Wankers insist that "You will be made to care!" and will not allow anything to be a-political.

It will not be enough. Their slide will continue. Personally, I'm going to try following hockey more.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2017, 10:23:41 PM »
Personally, I'm going to try following hockey more.

I'm going to try following high stakes ping pong table tennis.