Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Heading into fall for sure - Roast Turkey

(1/4) > >>

Northwoods:
Finally getting cool and wet enough for SWMBO to want to roast a turkey.  Going to put one of the broad-breasted turkeys I harvested a couple months ago in the fridge to start thawing. 

Ben:
I was on the ball this year and got fresh plums from the farmer's market to make plum sauce for my Tday and Christmas turkeys. I'm actually making and freezing the last batch this evening. I forgot to do it last year and ended up using plum jam that I had to cut with apple juice. Doesn't compare.

I've had a goal of shooting a turkey on my land, but happen to sit within a stupid draw area and haven't drawn a permit yet. The wild turkeys around here won't taste anywhere near as good as a raised or even store bought turkey, but it's just the point of harvesting it from my own place.  =)

Northwoods:
If you shoot a wild turkey it’ll be tasty if you pluck it rather than skin it.  Also I would recommend carving off the leg quarters and wings, and braise those.  Breast can be roasted.  If there’s not much fat under the skin (and when cutting up the bird keep maximum skin with the breast) then either pork back fat or fatty bacon in a thin layer over the breast will help it stay moist.  Also, dry brining the day before, and most critically not cooking past 155F should produce a very tasty meal.  Letting the breast come up to room temp will also help by keeping the gradient from hottest to coldest part of the breast to a minimum.

K Frame:
MMMMmmmmmm turkey...

I love oven roasted turkey.

My family loved turkey so much that in the middle of July we'd have a full-on holiday dinner - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, the whole 9 yards.

I've not roasted a turkey in some years. I need to rectify that.

Ben:

--- Quote from: K Frame on September 13, 2021, 07:16:28 AM ---MMMMmmmmmm turkey...

I love oven roasted turkey.

My family loved turkey so much that in the middle of July we'd have a full-on holiday dinner - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, the whole 9 yards.

--- End quote ---

Ha - my family did the same.  =)

Either some time in the Summer, or if we had relatives from Germany visiting, so they could get a taste of US culture (and we could get our turkey on).  :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version