Author Topic: Alan Dershowitz says Zimmerman charge a no-go.  (Read 34474 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Alan Dershowitz says Zimmerman charge a no-go.
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2012, 06:24:18 AM »
Until some self-appointed "neighborhood riot stopper" shoots you in the head for "looking suspicious", that idea is just dandy.  You just might want to have a think about who will be speaking this "universal language" before you go endorsing it.

De Selby: Don't you think that if someone is trying to set fire to a house or car with people on it, it's fine and dandy to shoot them?

Or a group of healthy, strong men trying to gang up on a single man to beat him down, they're dandy to shoot too.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »
Until some self-appointed "neighborhood riot stopper" shoots you in the head for "looking suspicious", that idea is just dandy.  You just might want to have a think about who will be speaking this "universal language" before you go endorsing it.

Misidentification DOES happen. So does twitchy fingers and poor fire discipline.

But on the other hand, if someone is smashing a window or setting things on fire, it's obvious who is a rioter. Thing is, folks tend to riot in their own neighborhood or nearby. Fantasies of putting down looters in your backyard is unlikely, unless you live in a border region next to an already unstable area.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2012, 09:57:19 AM »
Misidentification DOES happen. So does twitchy fingers and poor fire discipline.

But on the other hand, if someone is smashing a window or setting things on fire, it's obvious who is a rioter. Thing is, folks tend to riot in their own neighborhood or nearby. Fantasies of putting down looters in your backyard is unlikely, unless you live in a border region next to an already unstable area.

Yeah, all of this.

But, light rail public transpo can bring a mob/rot/gang from the hood to (near) your home.  Something to think about when house-hunting.  "Great access to MetroCity light rail" can also be interpreted as "We bring the ghetto to your doorstep."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2012, 10:20:53 AM »
I'm tellin ya, you start shooting rioters and that *expletive deleted* stops pronto.
In the wake of the MLK assassination, much of Detroit burned. When rioters started that stuff in Chicago, Mayor Daley (the original, not the son) gave police an order: Shoot to kill arsonists, shoot to maim looters.

This was VERY public, and the rioting stopped as soon as the word got out. The usual suspects from the usual community stomped their feet and threw a tantrum, but Chicago didn't burn the way Detroit did.

That order was the only good thing I remember either Daley doing.

As for the Zimmerman case . . . the waters have been thoroughly muddied by politicians and the media. Assuming Zimmerman's lawyer is any good at vetting jurors and doing his job, I think the outcome will largely depend on whether or not the prosecution can fill in what happened in the gap between the end of the 911 call and the eyewitness who saw Martin beating Zimmerman.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:06:45 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
Yeah, all of this.

But, light rail public transpo can bring a mob/rot/gang from the hood to (near) your home.  Something to think about when house-hunting.  "Great access to MetroCity light rail" can also be interpreted as "We bring the ghetto to your doorstep."

That would be Baltimore. Baltimore itself is mostly a less pleasant version of Beirut. 1980's Beirut. With the exception of the heavily policed Green Zone (Inner Harbor). SOME areas inside Baltimore have been reclaimed, but mostly it's not a place you'd want to live.

The bus routes basically do export the ghetto. Lot of good folks from the ghetto too, that just want a job. Which is good, because it allows the ghetto refugees to actually move up which they would not be able to do in Baltimore proper. Most of the folks who are willing to commute an hour by bus are motivated. Unfortunately, the drama follows with it too.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »
So...someone flipping cars and setting *expletive deleted*it on fire is just a bit...suspicious looking?

I'm tellin ya, you start shooting rioters and that *expletive deleted* stops pronto.

People need to figure that one out. Start flipping police cars and tossing molotovs? Bullet to the head, mother *expletive deleted*er. It's a universal language.
Yep. I'm in a nicer area of Anderson, but the ghetto is near. Well within "we want to ^)&^% some people up" walking distance.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »
De Selby: Don't you think that if someone is trying to set fire to a house or car with people on it, it's fine and dandy to shoot them?

Or a group of healthy, strong men trying to gang up on a single man to beat him down, they're dandy to shoot too.

I do - but I also think its dangerous in times of unrest to have armed "protectors" roaming around with ideas like say, hoodies being signs of danger.   

It isn't just misidentification that's the problem, it's bizarre interpretations of what constitutes a threat or a riot that I'm concerned with.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »
Yeah, all of this.

True, but that's a burglary and robbery problem you're describing - riots require numbers too large to be a real issue outside the rioters own neighborhoods.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
True, but that's a burglary and robbery problem you're describing - riots require numbers too large to be a real issue outside the rioters own neighborhoods.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »
I do - but I also think its dangerous in times of unrest to have armed "protectors" roaming around with ideas like say, hoodies being signs of danger.   

You've now completely jumped the shark.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
You've now completely jumped the shark.

^This.

I don't see where anyone other than De Selby has suggested shooting suspicious people...

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:26:24 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2012, 08:28:42 PM »
^This.

I don't see where anyone has suggested shooting suspicious people...except for De Selby.

Where did I accuse anyone here of suggesting that?  My point is that not everyone who takes up public protection as a hobby will be so reasonable.  And at least some of them think your clothing choices are a good enough reason to "investigate".   

How do you feel about those types being armed and looking out at you as you go about your day?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
WTF?

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2012, 09:05:14 PM »
  And at least some of them think your clothing choices are a good enough reason to "investigate".  [citation needed]
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »

you are yet again mistaken
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »

Uh, yeah, but no.  That is at odds with reality I have witnessed.

you are yet again mistaken

Indeed. 

The very nice mall across the street from our church has attracted mucho gang/mob activity.  It is a short stroll from the light rail station.  You can see the pickup in activity after sunset, as they roll off the train and move toward the mall.  The mall owners cranked up the off-duty officers to "11" and they have pushed out to adjoining properties, to include my church.  We had folks who were using the athletic field after dark menaced by a 10-20 strong group of "urban youths."  I think I gave details on this in another thread: we're hiring armed guards, affidavit on record with the police allowing them to come on the property if they see anything suspicious(1), all the supporting legal mumbo-jumbo, etc.

See, this is why smart suburbs fight regional mass-transit boondoggles.  Folks moved to the burbs to escape urban decay and pathologies.  No need to lay out the welcome mat for it.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2012, 10:48:42 PM »
THAT'S RRRRRAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

Those Urban Youths aren't harming anybody! They're just enjoying the evening and you racist aholes think they are up to no good! You vigilantes are just itching to shoot them, aren't you?

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2012, 11:10:47 PM »
THAT'S RRRRRAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

Those Urban Youths aren't harming anybody! They're just enjoying the evening and you racist aholes think they are up to no good! You vigilantes are just itching to shoot them, aren't you?

Well, they did make such nice targets when their 15-20YO selves were crawling all over the playground equipment, getting on the top and doing their best to rock the equipment out of their concrete footings.  I do suspect they had not a clue how much time everyone in the Parent-Teacher League put in to raise the money and ride herd on the installation.  I also doubt they thought about how much effort it took us to get the requisite 6" deep playground mulch spread under the equipment as they flicked their cig butts into it and tossed empty cans & bottles down.  Or that our kids might have to play around their filth.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2012, 11:19:35 PM »
Where did I accuse anyone here of suggesting that?  My point is that not everyone who takes up public protection as a hobby will be so reasonable.  And at least some of them think your clothing choices are a good enough reason to "investigate".   

How do you feel about those types being armed and looking out at you as you go about your day?

In your first statement, you say it's dangerous in times of unrest to have armed "protectors" roaming around. How can they possibly be dangerous unless they're going to shoot someone? Unless you think that the mere presence of a gun is dangerous, then your two statements are contradictory.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »

It isn't just misidentification that's the problem, it's bizarre interpretations of what constitutes a threat or a riot that I'm concerned with.
Yeah, the armed merchants of Koreatown proved to be really dangerous during the Rodney King riots.

(If you were a rioter.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2012, 03:57:59 PM »
Yeah, the armed merchants of Koreatown proved to be really dangerous during the Rodney King riots.

(If you were a rioter.)

They did a better job than the Nawlins police  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
In your first statement, you say it's dangerous in times of unrest to have armed "protectors" roaming around. How can they possibly be dangerous unless they're going to shoot someone? Unless you think that the mere presence of a gun is dangerous, then your two statements are contradictory.

I was referring specifically to the "bullet in the head!" business.  Self defence is always a good thing, and armed people who will defend themselves help prevent lawlessness.

Running around in times of unrest shooting people who you think are rioters?  Whole different kettle of fish.  The same way defending your own home is different to wandering a shopping centre, looking for criminals.

Roo ster, I don't see how 10-20 people is a potential riot.   I see a robbery/burglary problem in the photo as well.  A crowd on a bus is not going to be able to ruin whole neighborhoods a la Rodney king.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2012, 08:02:24 PM »
Roo ster, I don't see how 10-20 people is a potential riot.   I see a robbery/burglary problem in the photo as well.  A crowd on a bus is not going to be able to ruin whole neighborhoods a la Rodney king.

Herd/crowd behavior rules even at that level.  Precise number is incidental.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »
Herd/crowd behavior rules even at that level.  Precise number is incidental.

By that definition a two man beat down could be a riot - not sure the concept has any meaning if that's what we are talking about here.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »
Could you then explain how 20 people cannot be a riot? What is the threshold, and why?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife