Author Topic: Can I fix this?  (Read 64833 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Re: Can I fix this?
« Reply #225 on: August 01, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
So, this thread has gone on for 9 pages...and I'm not going back to read it...

Did the light get fixed? Or has procrastination taken hold?

Um. Well. Uh.
I haven't had time. The handy friend is available when I'm busy and I have time when he's busy. There's a light in the hallway that shines in. I can do laundry during the day while I'm working and don't need a light. The power outlets in the two bathrooms are now not working either so I'm waiting to see what else breaks next.

Procrastination is my middle name...
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2011, 11:52:37 PM »
LOL I figured that procrastination might have occurred...I do the exact same thing...

The power outlets in the two bathrooms are now not working either so I'm waiting to see what else breaks next.

Are you sure they are not working or are you having some kind of GFCI fun? Try looking for reset buttons on the outlets or check the panel box for tripped GFCI breakers. I find an awful lot of people don't realize that their outlets may be GFCI equipped until they trip and then they try to find out what's wrong with their power...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #227 on: August 01, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who ... delays in completing household tasks. I knew it would be you that would eventually ask about it though! :)

One has a reset button but nothing happens when I push it, still doesn't work. The other does not have a reset button. Suppose it could be a fuse but again, fuse box still hasn't been labeled either.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2011, 12:04:54 AM »
One has a reset button but nothing happens when I push it, still doesn't work. The other does not have a reset button. Suppose it could be a fuse but again, fuse box still hasn't been labeled either.

One's a GFCI outlet and the other outlet is probably wired with it, giving it GFCI outlet protection to the second outlet (but goes offline if the main GFCI outlet is tripped)

Couple things about GFCI outlets...

A properly working one is supposed to trip when you press the test button and reset when you hit the reset button, provided it has power. If it doesn't have power, nothing happens.

First thing you need to find out is if the GFCI outlet has power going to it, i.e., a fuse isn't blown and a breaker is not tripped are the simplest ways. Breakers are obvious, fuses take a bit closer inspection...check them all out.

Now, if the GFCI outlet has power but is not doing right, then it likely needs to be replaced (I replace a few each year here at work). Simple matter...you cut the power, you ensure the power is off, and you unhook one wire at a time and connect it to the replacement receptacle's terminals, ensuring the three wires are hooked up correctly. Black wire goes to the gold plated screw, white wire goes to the silver screw, green goes to greenish screw. Re-install and cut the power back on and test.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:17:26 AM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2011, 01:10:50 AM »
Don't know yet, running a load now.  It's been doing a crappy job cleaning things lately.

Try white vinegar.  Ours was doing a crappy job.  SWMBO has started putting about a quarter cup of vinegar in when she loads the soap.  Soap tablet goes in the door, vinegar just gets dumped in the bottom of the dishwasher.  We don't use Jet Dry now that we're using vinegar.  Try it.  If it works, it's a cheap fix.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:21 AM »
Try white vinegar.  Ours was doing a crappy job.  SWMBO has started putting about a quarter cup of vinegar in when she loads the soap.  Soap tablet goes in the door, vinegar just gets dumped in the bottom of the dishwasher.  We don't use Jet Dry now that we're using vinegar.  Try it.  If it works, it's a cheap fix.

DD

Great minds think alike, DD.  Vinegar was one of the first things we did.  But it was before the massive cleaning I gave the dishwasher today.  It's run two loads now, and they both looked good.  We'll wait to run a few more before it's pronounced fixed.  We might even run a couple more batches of vinegar through it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2011, 07:57:23 AM »
Try white vinegar.  Ours was doing a crappy job.  SWMBO has started putting about a quarter cup of vinegar in when she loads the soap.  Soap tablet goes in the door, vinegar just gets dumped in the bottom of the dishwasher.  We don't use Jet Dry now that we're using vinegar.  Try it.  If it works, it's a cheap fix.

DD

We put white vinegar right in the jet-dry reservoir.  Seems to work well.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
We put white vinegar right in the jet-dry reservoir.  Seems to work well.

Same for us.  Works well and is cheap compared to Jet-Dry.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »
Go Vinegar!

We go through a goodly bit of it around here between the dishwasher and cleaning the CPAP gear and humidifiers.  Good to see we're not alone.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33:34 AM »
Vinegar clean coffee maker and soothe itchy foot fungus. Just don't reverse the order.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #235 on: August 02, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
Vinegar clean coffee maker....

I use it on mine....plus, vinegar is the best way to disinfect a CPAP machine....just soak the mask, air hose, and reservoir in a 1:10 vinegar/water mix for 1-2 hours every week....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: August 02, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »
Go Vinegar!

We go through a goodly bit of it around here between the dishwasher and cleaning the CPAP gear and humidifiers.  Good to see we're not alone.

DD

SWMBO makes a peppermint/vinegar floor cleaner and some other type of vinegar wall cleaner.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #237 on: August 02, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
Vinegar clean coffee maker and soothe itchy foot fungus. Just don't reverse the order.

If you're very very lucky  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #238 on: August 02, 2011, 02:36:12 PM »
Don't know yet, running a load now.  It's been doing a crappy job cleaning things lately.  I figured there were clogged lines or spray bars or something, so pulled it out from under the counter and took it out to the garage. Found the main filter about 3/5 clogged with crap on its inner surface.  I could have cleaned that in place, but pulling it provided the opportunity to give it a good cleaning, fix some loose brackets that hold the top basket, fix a few leaks, replace the drain adapter to the garbage disposal, etc.  It will have been worth it if it works.  If it doesn't, then it's off to the appliance store for a new one later this week.
Although, given how clogged the filter was, I'm not surprised it wasn't cleaning well.

Check your dishwasher detergent. Many states have banned phosphates in household cleaners, and most makers just dropped the trisodium phosphate rather than make two different kinds for "ban states" and "free states". And of course the new "green" ones absolutely suck. They're mostly just Sodium Carbonate, which is a water softener, some bases like sodium hydroxide and others (take a stab at saponifying any greases or oils... and do a $#!%*@ job of it too, leaving it all over your other dishes...)  and a bit of low foam surfactant.

Mainly, the new phosphate-free stuff is just letting the heat and agitation of the dishwasher itself do most of the work...  :mad:

And it's not just the libtarded 17 state legislatures that caused this. Phosphate prices are up, and the detergent makers saw an opportunity to cut their bottom line in the name of being "green".

Even better, the restaurant and service industries lobbied these legislatures, and commercial diswasher products still have trisodium phosphate in them.  :P

Now that you know this... I have an easy fix: http://www.chemistrystore.com/Trisodium_Phosphate-TriSodium_Phosphate_8lbs.html  Just throw in a teaspoon or two with your normal "green" detergent, and all is right with the world again.

If the algae blooms so bad in the lake that I can walk to the western shore of Michigan from Milwaukee? I don't give a damn. I just want clean dishes.

I suspect TONS of people have chucked their dishwashers for new ones, thinking it was the machines, and are oblivious as to what's happened to the detergent.  :-X

Or, if you don't like mixing it yourself, you can get the commercial grade stuff shipped to you as well: http://www.restockit.com/cascade-automatic-dishwasher-detergent-85-oz-(34953pg).html 32lbs ought to last most people awhile.

I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #239 on: August 02, 2011, 03:25:37 PM »
Now the tough guys on APS are talking about dishwashers...   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #240 on: August 02, 2011, 03:41:55 PM »

And dishwasher detergent.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #241 on: August 02, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »
Thread driiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiift.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #242 on: August 02, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
Talking about toxic chemicals, the machines that use them, and the environmental impact thereto, are suitable topics for the APS tough guys and gals.  :angel:

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »
The dishwasher always does a better job when you have Fido do the pre-wash.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #244 on: August 02, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »
Talking about toxic chemicals, the machines that use them, and the environmental impact thereto, are suitable topics for the APS tough guys and gals.  :angel:

Considering the chemical burns I got while working with the dish washing machines at a large hospital....yeah, I think it's manly enough....wanna see my scars?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #245 on: August 02, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »
The dishwasher always does a better job when you have Fido do the pre-wash.
QFT
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #246 on: August 02, 2011, 08:26:09 PM »
Next time I need something rationalized, I'm coming to you Millcreek.

Avenger - thanks for the tips. But I have an idea.

Nevermind.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #247 on: August 03, 2011, 01:52:31 AM »

We always talk about wimmins.  This is not new.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #248 on: August 03, 2011, 03:13:10 AM »
Oh no, you really just posted that didnt you?

I dare you to come down here and say that.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #249 on: August 03, 2011, 06:52:35 AM »
 :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!