Author Topic: The Gun Control Bandwagon  (Read 77731 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Re: The Gun Control Bandwagon
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »
I’ve decided to support the proposed 21 age for gun purchases. If kids under 21 aren’t responsible enough to own guns then we should make the age 21 for everything, voting, tobacco, gettings unrestricted drivers license, sign contracts, etc. Make all adult actions the same age. But I think the age should be 35.

I hope they poison pill to the extreme any age increase bills with stuff like that.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
The Democratic push for gun control is a perfect opportunity for Congressional Republicans to make their case for re-election. "Vote for us in 2018, or they'll confiscate every gun you own!"

Perhaps Trump finally, at long last, wants to become a real Republican, by snatching defeat from the jaws, and the full, pouting lips of victory.

Which they would just as likely do after they got reelected.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »
Well, Walmart caved.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/02/28/walmart-to-raise-age-restriction-for-firearms-and-ammo-purchases-to-21/

I'm thinking this "21 and over" thing is going to be a done deal, if chains begin to cave even before legislation is introduced.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »
He did the same thing with the Immigration meeting (Before Durbin torpedoed any chance of compromise with the "sh!thole" allegation).

I would bet that at worst we get the "Fix NICS" bill, and if we are really lucky we the "Fix NICS" bill with reciprocity.

Strong bet:  Bumpstocks are gone (ATF has been working on rule making since LV).  And rumour has it that the D's are going to go against "Fix NICS"  because "It doesn't go far enough".  So nothing gets done.

Except in Illinois.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2018, 09:17:08 PM »
Don't bumpstocks already exist pretty much at the pleasure of the ATF? I thought all that garbage like trigger cranks and such was approved by letter from their tech branch. My new pet hate is binary AR triggers, they seem to attract morons, one of which is going to put at least one more hole in someone than legally needed and make us all look like morons.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:05 PM »
Well, Walmart caved.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/02/28/walmart-to-raise-age-restriction-for-firearms-and-ammo-purchases-to-21/

I'm thinking this "21 and over" thing is going to be a done deal, if chains begin to cave even before legislation is introduced.

Meh. WalMart likes to occasionally virtue signal, then back pedal ("we only did that at certain stores") and then the policy quietly goes back to what they used to do.
They'll cave on that before next hunting season.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2018, 10:22:59 PM »
Don't bumpstocks already exist pretty much at the pleasure of the ATF? I thought all that garbage like trigger cranks and such was approved by letter from their tech branch. My new pet hate is binary AR triggers, they seem to attract morons, one of which is going to put at least one more hole in someone than legally needed and make us all look like morons.
Hell, I want to get one.  Not sure if I will use it anymore than the bump stock, but it looks like fun.  Watching the videos on it, it looks like it is not easy to run it fast without practice.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2018, 10:23:53 PM »
Hell, I want to get one.  Not sure if I will use it anymore than the bump stock, but it looks like fun.  Watching the videos on it, it looks like it is not easy to run it fast without practice.

Well, if they ban them, there's always the old 3D printer...

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2018, 10:30:53 PM »
 i watched a little bit of whatever that was with difi sitting near trump, he said "no reciprocity" .... I'm sorta angry.
This seems like a perfect time for it
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2018, 08:02:17 AM »
I think that we should propose a bill. Clearly, semi auto AR15s have to go. We should ban semiauto only rifles... and replace them with non-NFA select fire specimens instead.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 08:54:52 AM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2018, 08:59:08 AM »
https://conservativefiringline.com/poll-americans-think-government-not-gun-laws-failed-fla/

A new Rasmussen survey released Tuesday says more American adults think government agencies failed in Florida more than the attack at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School happened due to weak gun laws.
This is a bit reassuring that ALL Americans are not idiots.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2018, 09:35:29 AM »
Don't bumpstocks already exist pretty much at the pleasure of the ATF? I thought all that garbage like trigger cranks and such was approved by letter from their tech branch.

You are right.  Trump can just tell the BAFE to declare bump stocks machine guns, and they are suddenly magically MGs.  No action by congress needed.

Are the really?  No, not at all.  They don't meet the definition of a MG, as the BATFE repeatedly ruled for years.  But they can (and do) change their mind all the time, and no federal judge will ever rule against this stupid and illegal "determination."  The law means what some jackass regulator says it does, not what it actually says.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2018, 09:37:49 AM »
I would think any regulation that bans bump stocks would have to do so by blurring the 1 trigger pull, one shot definition.  Who knows what affect that would have on the semi-auto vs full auto rulings down the road.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2018, 09:54:58 AM »
You are right.  Trump can just tell the BAFE to declare bump stocks machine guns, and they are suddenly magically MGs.  No action by congress needed.

Are the really?  No, not at all.  They don't meet the definition of a MG, as the BATFE repeatedly ruled for years.  But they can (and do) change their mind all the time, and no federal judge will ever rule against this stupid and illegal "determination."  The law means what some jackass regulator says it does, not what it actually says.
Well, sure, but once you're willing to lie about the nature of things they could just as easily rule that single-shot, bolt-action rifles are machine guns.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »
Looks like David Hogg, is running the clock out on his 15 minutes and is now becoming a James Comey protege with the "deep" comments.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/03/01/looks-like-david-hogg-has-a-serious-self-awareness-problem/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
Well, sure, but once you're willing to lie about the nature of things they could just as easily rule that single-shot, bolt-action rifles are machine guns.

Isn't this the bureau that said a string is a machine gun?

https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/atf-declares-a-14-inch-shoe-string-a-machinegun.4749/

Why, yes.  Yes it is.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »
Senator Martin Heinrich (D., NM) just said on MSNBC he wants to ban anyone under 21 from owning "gas-assisted receiver firearms."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »
Is the Senator also "gas-assisted"?
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2018, 03:59:53 PM »
A surprising level headed editorial from the Cincinnati Enquirer: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/opinion/editorials/2018/02/27/ohios-first-priority-enforce-gun-laws-books/376631002/

Quote from: From the above link
The editorial board recommends establishing a reasonable deadline for all courts to come into compliance with the existing state law and strong and enforceable penalties for noncompliance. Kasich should appoint someone on an interim basis who will oversee a process that includes, assessing the technological capabilities of the courts in Ohio, working with them and local governments on funding options and monitoring records compliance and holding courts accountable for meeting the deadline set by the governor and lawmakers.

Failures in the background check system and other fail-safes are costing too many American lives and creating a safe haven for criminals or the mentally ill to obtain dangerous weapons. Keeping guns out of the hands of those who should not have them is not a political issue, it's a moral imperative.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
Senator Martin Heinrich (D., NM) just said on MSNBC he wants to ban anyone under 21 from owning "gas-assisted receiver firearms."

They can't stop beclowning themselves with their ignorance of firearms. They just can't.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2018, 04:10:39 PM »

So a PTR-91 and MP5 are cool then?  Tec-9?  Uzi? M2HB?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »
I'm putting together an AR build, you guys. Help me out. So far I've got:

Full Semi-Automatic
gas-assist receiver
shoulder thing that goes up
30-caliber clip

What else I needs to put on this bad dog?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2018, 04:39:25 PM »

They can't stop beclowning themselves with their ignorance of firearms. They just can't.
I think they have heard the criticisms of past attempts to ban or restrict military style guns and are trying to find ways to do it differently.  They still fall short because hunting rifles and military rifles aren't all that different functionally.  

Either that or they think they can throw out technical mumbo jumbo and that will sound good to their voters.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2018, 04:42:43 PM »
I'm putting together an AR build, you guys. Help me out. So far I've got:

Full Semi-Automatic
gas-assist receiver
shoulder thing that goes up
30-caliber clip

What else I needs to put on this bad dog?

How many times do we have to have this "clip vs magazine" talk? It's not a clip, you dope. What you want is a “high-capacity, rapid-fire magazine” (courtesy Debbie Wasserman Schultz).