Author Topic: The 2024 Circus  (Read 35604 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: The 2024 Circus
« Reply #250 on: December 20, 2023, 09:02:51 AM »
Both the courts and the elections are being visibly undermined and public confidence in them as institutions is falling.  What do these idiots think comes next?

If the idiots are upsetting you, whatever you do, don't peruse Reddit. Holy hell. The virtual, social media circle jerk is about 95% in giddy favor of this, and because of their echo chamber, they really think that everyone is. I despise Biden, but I can honestly say that I would be as outraged at this happening to him as I am with it happening to Trump (who I'm not crazy about).

It was interesting to see that every one of Trump's R rivals made strong statements condemning this. If what I saw is correct, 13 other states are looking to copy Colorado.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #251 on: December 20, 2023, 09:07:20 AM »

It was interesting to see that every one of Trump's R rivals made strong statements condemning this. If what I saw is correct, 13 other states are looking to copy Colorado.

How many of those can you already count as Biden EC votes? 90%? 100%?
Things are going to get rather interesting if this is allowed to stand* and a good % of those other states follow suit and then Trump wins anyway

*Which I highly doubt
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #252 on: December 20, 2023, 09:17:59 AM »
How many of those can you already count as Biden EC votes? 90%? 100%?

No doubt, yet the totalitarian implications are frightening.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #253 on: December 20, 2023, 09:25:57 AM »
No doubt, yet the totalitarian implications are frightening.

Absolutely, didn't mean to imply otherwise.
My point was even if this allowed to stand it may make almost zero different in the final outcome of the election vote wise. Reaction wise no matter which way it goes is an entirely different bag of angry cats
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #254 on: December 20, 2023, 09:30:43 AM »
Absolutely, didn't mean to imply otherwise.
My point was even if this allowed to stand it may make almost zero different in the final outcome of the election vote wise. Reaction wise no matter which way it goes is an entirely different bag of angry cats

Yup. If anything, it is once again giving Trump more support and more votes. The serious implications of what they're doing to the Republic aside, it's kind of comical that if they had just turned off the TDS after Biden got in, very likely, Trump wouldn't even be running now, let alone surging ahead of everyone, including Biden.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #255 on: December 20, 2023, 09:32:19 AM »
My personal view is that this is going to backfire spectacularly on the dems.
Downside is that many on the left/dem side of things are now much more likely to go full on radical in the event of a Trump win.

Edit: corrected a misspell
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:56:02 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2023, 10:18:59 AM »
There isn't going to be a shooting war. People will puff out their chests, quote Fox News, and grumble on the Internets.

-Tsar Nicholas, Li Zongren, George III, Lon Nol, and Louis XVI, probably.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:47:40 AM by dogmush »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2023, 10:42:07 AM »
Schiff is happy, shocker I know,

The Colorado Supreme Court just ruled Donald Trump is disqualified from the ballot — and from holding office — under the 14th Amendment.

Accountability for inciting an insurrection.

It’s about time.
    — Adam Schiff (@RepAdamSchiff) December 20, 2023
https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/12/20/adam-schiff-n2390984

Be careful what you wish for
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2023, 10:50:07 AM »
There isn't going to be a shooting war. People will puff out their chests, quote Fox News, and grumble on the Internets.
I certainly hope you're right, because the results of a shooting war would be horrific for everyone involved.

Interesting (but in no way surprising) that you can only entertain the idea that it would start on the right, though.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2023, 11:06:27 AM »
I think we're pretty surely headed into violence, and probably in less than 5 or 6 years.  I just don't see anyone that could trying to take an offramp.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a "Civil War", but something like the summer of 2020 ramped up 3 or 4 times with some groups branching out into political violence like knock-off Nights of medium length knives.  Throw in a government that is regionally going off the rails arresting and jailing people and you just get very dangerous, long term civil unrest with political violence overtones.  And a distinct breakdown of law and order in most cities.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: December 20, 2023, 11:33:28 AM »
I think we're pretty surely headed into violence, and probably in less than 5 or 6 years.  I just don't see anyone that could trying to take an offramp.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a "Civil War", but something like the summer of 2020 ramped up 3 or 4 times with some groups branching out into political violence like knock-off Nights of medium length knives.  Throw in a government that is regionally going off the rails arresting and jailing people and you just get very dangerous, long term civil unrest with political violence overtones.  And a distinct breakdown of law and order in most cities.
That is depressingly plausible.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2023, 11:41:04 AM »
I certainly hope you're right, because the results of a shooting war would be horrific for everyone involved.

Interesting (but in no way surprising) that you can only entertain the idea that it would start on the right, though.

Yeah, if Trump wins the left will be the ones to kick it off.  If Trump loses, the left is likely to go after Trump voters, not just his donors, lawyers, etc.  While they may or may not initiate violence directly they will, deliberately, make the situation such that at least some on the right see no alternative to violence.
Formerly sumpnz

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2023, 11:44:16 AM »

I fear right around the corner as in 2024 if things don't go a certain way as in if Trump wins or even sooner if it appears he will likely win.
Could even come from the right in response to the left and/or if votes for the D start appearing out of thin air at 3am again. The left could even do this openly in the hopes it will trigger the right hoping this allows them to start the govt crackdown they've been wet dreaming about.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2023, 01:53:32 PM »
Enter Joe Biden

Biden says there's 'no question' Trump engaged in an insurrection in his first response to Colorado disqualification as Republicans threaten to take Joe off their state ballots as revenge
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12886597/Biden-says-theres-no-question-Trump-engaged-insurrection-response-Colorado-disqualification-Republicans-threaten-Joe-state-ballots-revenge.html

Could Trump sue him for libel?
- Calvin and Hobbes

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2023, 02:17:17 PM »
Enter Joe Biden

Biden says there's 'no question' Trump engaged in an insurrection in his first response to Colorado disqualification as Republicans threaten to take Joe off their state ballots as revenge
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12886597/Biden-says-theres-no-question-Trump-engaged-insurrection-response-Colorado-disqualification-Republicans-threaten-Joe-state-ballots-revenge.html

Could Trump sue him for libel?

The "actual malice" part is a very hard thing to prove, and would apply since both are obviously "public figures".  Unless there's a recording or email or similar showing even Biden knew "insurrection" was bovine scat, he can just say "it was what we honestly believed at the time".
Formerly sumpnz

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #265 on: December 20, 2023, 04:12:09 PM »
Colorado GOP says they'll switch to a caucus if Trump's disqualification stands:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/us/colorado-republican-party-to-change-to-caucus-system-ditch-primary-if-trump-kept-off-ballot-5550307

(this thread is aptly named)
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2023, 04:19:34 PM »
Here's Ted Lieu

The Colorado trial court HELD A TRIAL and made rock solid findings of fact that Trump “engaged in insurrection.” SCOTUS would not have any basis to overrule the findings.

The only way SCOTUS can overturn is to make the perverse ruling that Presidents can engage in insurrection. https://t.co/6ehpE7CWxp
— Ted Lieu (@tedlieu) December 20, 2023
https://twitchy.com/dougp/2023/12/20/rep-ted-lieu-claims-co-supreme-court-held-a-trial-and-convicted-trump-so-scotus-wont-overturn-n2390999

Anyone here remember a trial where Trump was convicted of engaging in insurrection? Yeah me neither
Yeah, he's an idiot

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #267 on: December 20, 2023, 06:34:34 PM »
    California Lt. Gov. @EleniForCA writes to Secretary of State Shirley Weber to “explore every legal option to remove former President Donald Trump from California’s 2024 presidential primary ballot.”

Letter here: pic.twitter.com/HoGZdjLmNy
    — Christopher Cadelago (@ccadelago) December 20, 2023
https://twitchy.com/coucy/2023/12/20/california-lt-governor-n2390995
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #268 on: December 20, 2023, 06:46:55 PM »
Nobody was charged with insurrection or treason let alone found guilty.

This country is obviously mostly populated with liars and morons.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #269 on: December 20, 2023, 07:03:57 PM »

I don't see Biden being kicked off a primary ticket, so why would the left get upset? Maybe if Trump wins and enough of them beat the stolen election drum like the Trump people did in 2020?

There are some Trump supporters that truly think if he isn't elected that their lives are over because the Liberals are going to take everything. I have to listen to every time I go to into my office, one of my coworkers seriously thinks the day after Biden is re-elected that government men with firearms are going to kick down her door and take her house and small farm from her family the next day. Everyone is going to get their property confiscated. She is dead serious. Remember I work as a public employee on the government dime, and so do they.

I despise Trump with all of my very existence, and I hope he gets his ass handed to him in all the primaries and caucuses.

I do think the Colorado Courts *expletive deleted*ed the pooch hard on this one.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #270 on: December 20, 2023, 08:59:35 PM »
… why would the left get upset?
???
Is that a trick question?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #271 on: December 20, 2023, 09:08:42 PM »
???
Is that a trick question?

Upset Biden is not being booted off ballots is what I said. Don't read any further into than that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #272 on: December 20, 2023, 09:47:53 PM »
I don't see Biden being kicked off a primary ticket, so why would the left get upset? Maybe if Trump wins and enough of them beat the stolen election drum like the Trump people did in 2020?

There are some Trump supporters that truly think if he isn't elected that their lives are over because the Liberals are going to take everything. I have to listen to every time I go to into my office, one of my coworkers seriously thinks the day after Biden is re-elected that government men with firearms are going to kick down her door and take her house and small farm from her family the next day. Everyone is going to get their property confiscated. She is dead serious. Remember I work as a public employee on the government dime, and so do they.

I despise Trump with all of my very existence, and I hope he gets his ass handed to him in all the primaries and caucuses.

I do think the Colorado Courts *expletive deleted*ed the pooch hard on this one.

Left-wing leadership is already taking things away, but gradually, so people like you accept it. (Through inflation, regulation, etc.) Your coworkers may not be quite correct, but it sounds like they see very real possibilities you refuse to.

I sympathize. I don't want to see them either.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #273 on: December 20, 2023, 10:01:34 PM »
Left-wing leadership is already taking things away, but gradually, so people like you accept it. (Through inflation, regulation, etc.) Your coworkers may not be quite correct, but it sounds like they see very real possibilities you refuse to.

I sympathize. I don't want to see them either.

Biggest thing that has taken things away from me was the Patriot Act of 2001. Mostly voted for by right-wing. So, I'm going to disagree.

We're all going to be getting *expletive deleted*ed by Trumps Tax Law in the next couple of years, yep voted for by right-wing leadership again.

Three biggest deficit recent spending administrations. GW Bush, BH Obama, and DJ Trump. 2/3 are right wing. That is the cause of the inflation, devalue the currency in excessive spending.

No one is coming to take your house, no one is coming to shut down your church, no one is taking away your freedom of speech, well I guess the GOP did with the Patriot Act.

Uranus is a gas giant.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #274 on: December 20, 2023, 10:53:43 PM »
The actions of the Colorado Supreme Court remind me of the Iranian mullahs who only let the candidates they approve of appear on the ballot in their so-called "elections."

OK, let's say Trump is taken off the ballot in Colorado and a couple of other states.

What happens - that is, what do the lefties do - when the House refuses to certify the vote counts from those states?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain