Author Topic: Alabama blizzard  (Read 11620 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Alabama blizzard
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »
Back about 25 years ago, where we lived we would be snowed in for three to five months every winter, because the county did not plow up that high.

We used xc skis and a small dog team, or our friends sometimes helped us haul in stuff with their snow machines.

It was easier after the snow got deep enough that you could ski right over the top of the barbwire fence  :cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2011, 05:53:32 PM »
I went to see the 'Blue Collar' tour here last winter.  We had a very nasty winter storm that day.  School wasn't canceled because the snow started late in the morning.  By showtime, the roads really, really sucked.  Slush was about 6 inched deep on the freeway.  The first thing Jeff Foxworthy said was something like," damn, if Atlanta had a storm like this one, school would be closed for the rest of the year".  Pretty funny in retrospect.

The schools here have been out of session all week, and most people in the neighborhood have been off all week. I don't get it, as the roads were fine on Tuesday. An excuse for a vacation, I guess.

Tallpine, my parents had that sort of snow growing up in Michigan's upper peninsula. There's no way I'd want to deal with that.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
Tallpine, my parents had that sort of snow growing up in Michigan's upper peninsula. There's no way I'd want to deal with that.

We were young, and it was an adventure  :cool:

Right at 10,000' ASL about four miles west of the continental divide near the center of Colorado.

The worst part was living in a 1960 10x50 house trailer with 2" thick walls.  I think we would have been warmer in a good tipi.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin