Author Topic: What did you get for Christmas?  (Read 11759 times)

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: What did you get for Christmas?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 10:01:39 PM »

Some cool bits and bobs, the t-shirt is one I have wanted for a while.  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »
I got the flu  =(
Look, tiny text!

neviander

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2008, 02:13:42 AM »
Nothing yet, but with the cash I got, I intend on getting 2 extra mags for my Witness, a mag holster and an OWB holster so's I can start attending matches with my own gun :)  My kids on the other hand, "made out like bandits"...as we like to say.
"be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

erictank

• friends
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008, 08:48:38 AM »
I got a subscription to MAKE Magazine (cool DIY stuff of all kinds), a bunchaton of various candy, mostly dark chocolate, 2 copies each of DVD movies and season sets (thanks to lack of communication amongst various family members - I got 2X 'Dark Knight', 'Sarah Conner Chronicles' Season 1, and 'Smallville' Season 7, and both my wife and I got a copy of 'Indy 4' - looks like I'll be paying a visit to Amazon in the near future), a hardcover copy of 'Little Brother' by Cory Doctorow, a Ryobi cordless random orbital sander (which uses the same batteries as the rest of my cordless tools), and some money towards home improvement.   

My FAVORITE present is one I got for my stepson.  He (we) got the Nerf Vulcan EBF-25 belt-fed machinegun, and 2 extra belts of ammo (which, sadly, do not interconnect).  All four of us had a grand time Christmas morning shooting the Jar-Jar Binks target I made a few years ago for a 501st Legion event - the gun appears to work best if you fire from the tripod and help feed the belt with your left hand, sans ammo box.  The "sights" are essentially useless, and trying to fire in "semi-auto" appears to be less accurate than just laying on the trigger and walking fire into the target.  It DOES jam relatively frequently, but is still the coolest Nerf gun EVER.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »
I got a subscription to MAKE Magazine (cool DIY stuff of all kinds)

Neat magazine.  One day I'll get around to buying a subscription.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 09:05:21 PM »
Wii, Wii Fit, and Resident Evil (along with the Nyko Perfect Shot pistol controller). System is updating as I type, game play is minutes away. I almost got pissed because it wouldn't connect to my secure wireless until I remembered -- "oh yeah, MAC address screening is on". Duh. Anyways, so long suckers -- you won't be seeing me for hours now...  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 09:10:55 PM »
My kids are playing with the Wii Santa brought them.  As everyone here said, they are very very cool.  Dad is pretty sore right now.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »
Went to my brother and SIL's place today for another family Christmas. We all drew names at Thanksgiving and did a $25 limit on one gift, I got a bottle of Maker's Mark from my brother who drew my name.

So much easier than doing individual gifts for each other.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2008, 07:10:04 PM »
Went to my brother and SIL's place today for another family Christmas. We all drew names at Thanksgiving and did a $25 limit on one gift, I got a bottle of Maker's Mark from my brother who drew my name.

I may have to "Liberate" that idea for the suddenly much larger extendeded family I've been dragooned into as a result of my sister sprogging again.  There were 14 of us crammed about the dinner table on Christmas, big leap from the five of recent years...

From the family I got a way cool book about the political cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel in support of the U.S. entering WWII; a nice text about creating architectural images in Blender 3D; some science toys for memory improvement and the like; and from me to me an entry level combination wireless mouse and digitizing pen to use with Blender 3D.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »
I got a gift card to an outdoor store that is supposed to buy running shoes, probably buy a knife or some yuppie tactical item. The cool gift I knew I was getting, just not when. A 150lb bi-metal Vulcan anvil, worth a small mint for its condition and quality. Now I'm that much closer to making whatever sharp thing I want to make.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »
Reading all of the above, I think my Lady and I got the best gift.  We got a phone call from Paul in Afghanistan to say Merry Christmas and let his Mom know he is ok.

Doesn't get any better than that! :lol:

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2008, 08:42:21 PM »
New roasting pan, wok, kitchen gadgets, books, Office Space DVD, and mother in law to be bought myself and the future Ms. Lupinus a bunch of house stuff for after we get married and get one.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2008, 08:43:34 PM »
New netbook, Dell Mini 9, 32gb SSD, Ubuntu. 

Woot!    =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2008, 09:14:32 PM »
I may have to "Liberate" that idea for the suddenly much larger extendeded family I've been dragooned into as a result of my sister sprogging again.  There were 14 of us crammed about the dinner table on Christmas, big leap from the five of recent years...

That tradition got started with my Mom's family when folks realized how expensive buying gifts for 11 sublings and spouces. When a grandkid graduated from high school, they got included in the drawing also.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2008, 09:17:25 PM »
Reading all of the above, I think my Lady and I got the best gift.  We got a phone call from Paul in Afghanistan to say Merry Christmas and let his Mom know he is ok.

Doesn't get any better than that! :lol:

That's a great Christmas present, Grandpa Shooter.  Outstanding!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

w turner

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2008, 09:31:35 AM »
From the wife......three new Stephen Hunter hardbacks, cast iron grill pan and biscuit pan, assorted dark chocolate

Also got a craftsman reciprocating saw, .30-30 ammo, and a new set of earbuds from various family members

overall not bad, but I went without compared to the kids.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2008, 09:36:01 AM »
A friend gave me 100 rounds of 147 Gr. 9mm projectiles and 100 rounds of 9mm Winchester Magnum (9x29) brass!  =D I am one happy camper!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2008, 09:56:42 AM »
Wife got us a new P.C., an Acer with a 22" flat panel monitor.  Got me a set of enamel clad Calphalon pans and cooking gadgets.  I got myself a Smith & Wesson 3914, but it's a two-toned version with blued slide over silver (aluminum) frame.  Plans on making it my carry gun after some personalization.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »
New netbook, Dell Mini 9, 32gb SSD, Ubuntu. 

Woot!    =D

I hope yours works better than the Asus my MIL got.  We ended up returning it and getting the Windows XP based Acer version (which is much nicer in form and function).

I *like* Linux, but Asus' implementation was a joke and made me look forward to XP.  How's the Dell?

Chris

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2008, 10:35:39 AM »
socks, lots of socks
random small toys, my Mom still thinks I'm 5 instead of 35.  They go into a box for next years toys for tots drive.
$50 gift card to a local grocery store
gunsmiths brass punch set
machine washable wool shirt
binocular shoulder harness from my hunting buddy since I was whining about the strap around my neck chaffing this year
box of random flies for small stream trout fishing
pair of speed loaders my dad found in his sock drawer complete with 12 rds of 30yr old 230gr ammo for my .41 mag revolver he gave to me many years ago after he quit using it.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
Gun related?  My wife gave me 4 "Tremors" dvds........plenty of gun action in those movies......chris3

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2008, 12:11:10 PM »
Hey, I forgot! I got 100 rounds 9mm WWB and 100 rounds Wolf 7.62x39 too!  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2008, 12:51:02 PM »
Some new shirts, new pair of slippers, and a 60 inch Mitsubishi DLP TV (awesome!). =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2008, 12:55:42 PM »
I received some really cool stuff for Christmas... But the best gift was just sitting in a small, slow diner, having breakfast and talking with my dad.  =)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2008, 01:07:51 PM »
A set of decent kitchen knives.  Thank you, grandma!

I hadn't actually COOKED in months, since I moved into this house and had to buy new kitchen stuff (and all the other house stuff).  I had some crappy $19.95 knife set that was awful to work with.

Parents got me a blu-ray player for my TV.  Hooray!  I don't have any blu-ray discs and won't be buying any until the prices become humane, but I didn't have anything to watch movies on other than my secondary PC, so it is hooked up there.  Very noisy with all the fans and hard drives.  This should be much quieter.  Need to get a HDMI cable for it today.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!