Author Topic: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?  (Read 71227 times)

norinco982lover

Re: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
I answered all of them but the phone number question.

Are they really going to fine me because I don't have a phone?

I may or may not have purchased a cellphone after I filled out the census form and it may or may not have minutes that I did not feel like wasting on the census people calling me.

~Norinco

HankB

• friend
« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2010, 01:17:27 PM »
Same here.  Maybe, if enough citizens answer "America" we can get it on the "Acceptable Race" list.
I can't swear that it's true, but last time the census came around I understand some tens of thousands of Californians listed "Jedi" as their religion . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
I believe you're thinking of the Commonwealth countries...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2010, 09:27:20 PM »
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/2...cuddly-as.html

Posted on Tuesday, 03.23.10
Census Bureau not as `cuddly' as it seems
BY GLENN GARVIN
ggarvin@MiamiHerald.com

Like most bureaucrats, Robert Groves, the director of the U.S. Census Bureau, has cultivated a poker face that works pretty well when he's fending off irksome questions from congressmen about why he spent $2.5 million on a TV ad during the Super Bowl or $3 million training employees who were fired before they worked a single day.

But through careful observation of Groves' body language, it's possible for trained observers to interpret his words. When he scratches his right ear, for instance, he's telling the truth. When he cups his chin in his hand or rests a finger on his left cheek, he's telling the truth.

And when he waves a census form in his hand and says, `Your answers are confidential, the Census Bureau cannot give out information that identifies you or your household,'' he's lying.

Maybe ``lying'' is too harsh a characterization. Maybe we should regard his promise of confidentiality as simply a Reader's Digest version of the full truth, which would be: ``The Census Bureau won't give out information that identifies you or your household unless some other branch of the government wants it so they can burn your home, lock you up in an internment camp, or put you under warrantless surveillance as part of a racial-profiling exercise.''

No branch of the American government lies more profligately about its ugly past than the Census Bureau, which tries desperately to portray itself as a cuddly little band of apolitical bean-counters. The reality is that whenever some U.S. government agency decides to go bare-knuckles on its own citizens, the Census Bureau is usually there acting as the waterboy:

• During the Civil War, the bureau provided maps annotated with 1860 census data to Union Gen. William T. Sherman, who used them to launch a war not on the Confederacy's army but on its civilian population. The most infamous product of the Census Bureau's assistance was Sherman's march from Atlanta to the sea, a 300-mile swath of looting and destruction that would properly have been labeled a war crime if the Japanese or German armies had done it in World War II.

Not that Sherman lost his table manners: Afterward, he sent a polite note thanking the Census Bureau for its maps and research. ``Without them, I would not have undertaken what was done.''

• Early in the 20th century, the Census Bureau was virtually a field office of the Justice Department. Census data was used to help catch draft dodgers during World War I and to help round up left-wing immigrants for deportation during the Palmer Raids of the 1920s.

• In 2002 and 2003, the Census Bureau helpfully sent the Department of Homeland Security lists of ZIP Codes with high concentrations of Arabs, broken down by country of origin. But don't worry! Homeland Security says it just wanted the information so it could make better airport signs.

• Most notoriously, the Census Bureau was at the heart of the internment of 110,000 Japanese Americans (two-thirds of them U.S. citizens) during World War II -- and not at all reluctantly. Within five days of the attack on Pearl Harbor, the bureau had issued three reports using 1940 census data to pinpoint the Japanese-American population by state, city and county.

Eventually, the bureau's statisticians got directly involved. When a new roundup was planned, Census Bureau employees met with Justice Department agents. They ``would lay out on a table various city blocks where the Japanese lived and they would tell me how many were living in each block,'' recalled Tom Clark, then running the Justice Department's alien-control office and later a Supreme Court justice. After that, it was easy for the U.S. Army to conduct house-to-house sweeps.

And if they missed a few, a Census Bureau official said in a 1942 report recently uncovered by historians, ``I would give them further means of checking individuals.'' That is, names.

To be fair, not every leak springing from the Census Bureau results in prison or deportation. Sometimes it's just good clean gossipy fun. In 1981, when I was editing a now-defunct political magazine called Inquiry, we published a first-person account of life inside the Census Bureau's Cleveland office during the 1980 count.

Among the various horrific tales of incompetence, backbiting and general political pork-grinding, the author recounted how work in the office came to a screeching halt when somebody opened an envelope and found the returned form of a popular local TV anchor. ``Did he put that weather girl down on his form?'' one employee called out. ``I wonder if they've got a thing going.'' I'm not going to tell you what the answer was. But don't worry. The Justice Department is probably calling to ask right now.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2010, 09:40:02 PM »
Interesting side note.
They were at the local mall here in my town in VA this last weekend.  In force.  Handing out balloons, forms, stickers, etc etc.  There must have been 15-20 workers. 
Prince William county and Woodbridge, VA, are both very heavily Hispanic. 
It was almost like they were recruiting for people to support the census.
And, Obama is about to start pushing Immigration reform.

I believe in coincidence.  This doesn't smell like a coincidnce to me.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »
Interesting side note.
They were at the local mall here in my town in VA this last weekend.  In force.  Handing out balloons, forms, stickers, etc etc.  There must have been 15-20 workers. 
Prince William county and Woodbridge, VA, are both very heavily Hispanic. 
It was almost like they were recruiting for people to support the census.
And, Obama is about to start pushing Immigration reform.

I believe in coincidence.  This doesn't smell like a coincidnce to me.

What's that saying:

Once is Happenstance,
Twice is a Coincidence,
Thrice is Enemy Action.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:41 PM »
Same here.  Maybe, if enough citizens answer "America" we can get it on the "Acceptable Race" list.

I actually did this, too.  I expect to have a census worker visit, but hey.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2010, 12:11:30 AM »
I actually did this, too.  I expect to have a census worker visit, but hey.
I wrote American last census, and again this year, and they did not say anything, but withe Obama in there it is hard to say what they will do.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2010, 08:58:26 AM »
Failure to send in the paper form will summon the ever returning census worker to your door step.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
I also put in "American". I left phone number blank. I did not answer the "Are you a Latino?" question.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2010, 11:24:30 AM »
I didn't fill in the birth dates.  X'ed out the empty spaces, too, lest some former ACORN worker turn around and add 3 or 4 more bodies to my household, considering I live in an area that is very (D).  [tinfoil]

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2010, 12:33:07 PM »
Failure to send in the paper form will summon the ever returning census worker to your door step.

Not here...they see the backhoe in the driveway and several acres of wooded land, and most of them are bright enough to see the implication...so they leave us alone. Works pretty darn well on other nuisance visitors, too.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2010, 10:05:43 PM »
I got my FINAL WARNING in the mail today.  Fill out the smaller, thinner (but same number of questions) forms NAOW or a Census Enumerator will visit you.

OK, so I had filled out the first form & put it on the desk where it worked its way down below surface level.  I noticed that both return envelopes requested that I insert the material so the bar code and the address of the residence were visible thru the window.

I might have gotten that right.  I did not bother to look.

Off to the PO to submit to the Census before they start sending folks out to see me.  Too bad they will not get my version of Mr. Walken's routine.  Could have been interesting to pull off with handgun on hip.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2010, 10:13:12 PM »
Off to the PO to submit to the Census before they start sending folks out to see me.  Too bad they will not get my version of Mr. Walken's routine.  Could have been interesting to pull off with handgun on hip.

I must have really scared the crap out of the guy that visited last year to log the GPS coordinates as we haven't gotten a single form in the mail or an unwanted visitor. I didn't even have a visible gun on me. I just growled at the guy about what the hell he wanted and why he was on my property...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2010, 10:20:18 PM »

What would be your weapon of choice?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2010, 10:32:54 PM »
What would be your weapon of choice?

Being an old white guy there is no way I am going to walk with rhythm. =D

For Census Enumerators I'm thinking a wheelgun in magnum - prolly .44 but I could drop down to a 1917 in .45acp.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2010, 10:36:32 PM »
mini14 on a sling :angel:

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2010, 01:54:07 AM »
Anybody here watch Adult Swim? I got a laugh out of one of their recent bumps:

http://www.bumpworthy.com/bumps/2270

The sound makes it....
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

PTK

• friends
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2010, 02:06:33 AM »
By the time they come around to my neck of the woods to discuss my answers, if at all, I'll be long moved out. Only here a short while longer!  :lol:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

• friend
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2010, 06:09:37 AM »
There was a recent article citing Karl Rowe in which he was quoted to say:

In an e-mail, Rove said he agreed to participate, "Because the Census settles apportionment of Congress and the current distrust of Washington should not discourage people from being counted."

His participation and subsequent comments come as some Republicans worry that anti-government sentiment will lead to lower census participation rates in conservative areas of the country, resulting in fewer Republican seats in Congress and state legislatures.

It makes sense and then it hit me.  Had someone started a national campaign last year and suggested that every conservative who lives in a conservative area fill out the form and have them also actively promote the census locally - and - every conservative who lives in an area that is overwhelmingly liberal not fill one out and talk up not doing, it could have had an interesting impact on the count.  Oh well, hindsight and all that.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
Well, I "participated" - I sent the form back with only the number of persons living here filled out.

:P

If anyone else comes around wanting more information, I'm going to run them off not too politely.  :police:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #146 on: April 09, 2010, 11:09:35 AM »
I inadvertently screwed up and filled it out with red ink.  When I was done, I noticed the instruction to use blue or black ink.  I hope I can access APS from Gitmo!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #147 on: April 09, 2010, 11:43:05 AM »
I told them there are 04 people at my residence.

I've been enumerated and that's good enough.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »
I've been enumerated and that's good enough
I also let them know that we are Americans.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #149 on: April 09, 2010, 04:25:46 PM »
I told them there are 04 people at my residence.

I've been enumerated and that's good enough.

that was my answer as well, that is all the constitution requires.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com