Author Topic: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?  (Read 71227 times)

Sawdust

• friend
Re: 2010 Census....Penalties for not participating?
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »
Hmmm...I guess I had better get around to filling it out before they come knocking...

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »
Still not sure what to do. I have yet to recieve a form...My neighborhood isn't on most maps yet (it is so the street names are not even on any satellite maps or google or etc)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:09:20 AM by J.J. »

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2010, 02:45:00 AM »
Thread is now back on topic.  IF the thread drift can be civil it can be RESTARTED IN POLITICS!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2010, 02:46:32 AM »
Still not sure what to do. I have yet to recieve a form...My neighborhood isn't on most maps yet (it is so the street names are not even on any satellite maps or google or etc)

Brand new housing development? I've often wondered how Google maps finds out about new neighborhoods and how long it takes them to get a team out there.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2010, 02:47:32 AM »
Brand new housing development? I've often wondered how Google maps finds out about new neighborhoods and how long it takes them to get a team out there.

House I live in has been here for less than 4 years, street has been here less than 5 years. So, less than 5 years, it seems.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #155 on: April 10, 2010, 02:52:30 AM »
Yeah my lemon House was one of the first 6 built in this subdivision that is steadily growing...Heck they are putting up new houses in record time. 2 months start to finish for the last one the built.

I know it took about 3 years in my previous house for Google to show up.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2010, 02:58:28 AM »
this seems to be where google gets its maps tomtom to, you can suggest updates. [popcorn] if your sure you want to. [tinfoil]

=D http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/help/terms_maps.html

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #157 on: April 10, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »
Last time I checked, the google satellite picture of our place is five years old. (2005)

So no - you can't watch me peeing out in the yard!  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #158 on: April 10, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Last time I checked, the google satellite picture of our place is five years old. (2005)

So no - you can't watch me peeing out in the yard!  :P

Well, we could, but not via Google.  :lol:

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »
Just heard that this weekend the Enumerators were headed for the "difficult to count" neighborhoods in Richmond, Va.

Will have to check the Sunday paper to see what the body count is.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2010, 07:18:18 PM »
Well, we could, but not via Google.  :lol:

Okay, I'm drinking coffee now.  Watch out in a few minutes  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »
Okay, I'm drinking coffee now.  Watch out in a few minutes  :P

Be careful you don't spill that...or at least put some pants on first....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2010, 09:48:23 PM »
Be careful you don't spill that...or at least put some pants on first....  =D

That's the way to run off the census taker  >:D

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2010, 07:19:47 AM »
Just heard that this weekend the Enumerators were headed for the "difficult to count" neighborhoods in Richmond, Va.

Will have to check the Sunday paper to see what the body count is.

stay safe.

skidmark

OK, I had that a bit wrong.  The Enumerators don't start their roundups until the 16th. 
Residents are asked to mail back census forms by April 16. Those who don't will get a visit from a census worker.

This was the "Let's make sure the numbers are in our favor 'cause there's money tied to them figures" folks trying to get more forms filled out.  http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/CENS11_20100410-221611/336429/

At locations across the city, volunteers knocked on doors, stopped people on the street, set up information tables and even rode in motorcycle brigades with the goal of increasing the area's census form completion rate. It was part of a national "March to the Mailbox" campaign during which the census tracts with the lowest response rates in each jurisdiction were targeted for extra outreach

"We cannot emphasize too much the importance of the census for the city of Richmond and what it means in terms of pulling down federal dollars, for categorizing our city as a small city versus a medium-sized city. We have to be over 200,000. We have to do better this time than we did the last time so those dollars can flow to our community."

"They move from place to place a lot, too. They may be staying with a friend or relative, and they figure they may be counted somewhere else. Or they don't want to be counted." Casasnovas said staff at the city's Hispanic Liaison Office in Southside Plaza shopping center are helping residents fill out forms.

About the only good thing I read was this:
One woman asked to see some official identification, and after [Councilwoman] Newbille showed hers, she took a census form and completed it.
  All was good up until the last 8 words.

OK, it's not world-stops-spinning-ly bad stuff happening, but it still gets my goat that the basic purpose of the enumeration is seen by politicians as the means to collecting someone else's money to spend on useless projects.

Now I'm really hoping that the green ink I used to write "1" on the form before sealing the envelope and mailing it back somehow creates an extra-big glitch in the smooth functioning of the automated works.  Just cause I'm feeling mean. :P

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #164 on: April 11, 2010, 07:43:28 AM »
green ink? was it Noodler's Zhivago. [popcorn] on second thought they probably couldn't tell it wasn't black. :facepalm:

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
Are The Enumerators authorized, encouraged, or allowed to document a person's race if that person won't respond to that question on the census form?

For example, since I wrote in American as my race, if The Enumerator comes to my house and sees that I am european-American, can/will the worker document me as such without my permission?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2010, 08:57:04 AM »
it would surprise me if not. =| and i wouldn't put sending them to everyone's house that said they were American past them. [tinfoil]

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2010, 02:31:08 PM »
That's the way to run off the census taker  >:D

Works on JW's.  They've seen me nekkid....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2010, 04:38:57 PM »

And they still believe in a loving God? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »

Heckifiknow....I all know is that when it happened, they certainly believed in giving my property a wide berth after that...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »

Did they ever...?   =|

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2010, 12:59:54 AM »
The questionnaire they left on the door of our remote retreat disappeared somewhere and Lady Shooter answered 2 questions on the one they left at the cabin.  We received nothing they can prove we ever got.  Highly inefficient enumeration at best.  I suspect it was much more costly than what the results could ever justify.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »

The Mrs. cut you off again, didn't she?.......  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #173 on: April 13, 2010, 07:57:46 AM »
The Mrs. cut you off again, didn't she?.......  :lol:

Actually they interrupted a good shower once....wouldn't stop ringing the doorbell, dogs were going ape-poo-poo....I was pretty irritated and swung the door open to cuss them out.  Forgot I was nekkid....
JD

PTK

• friends
« Reply #174 on: April 13, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »
I cheerfully answered the door a few days ago for a JW. It's not my fault they rang while I was in the living room cleaning my grenade launcher. I simply carried it with me while answering the door, as is my habit (why leave something like that out of my control while answering a door?!)

The look was priceless. The stammered "God loves you" was even more priceless. Shortest JW visit I've ever had.