Author Topic: Seems the Judge is iffy even with the "right" ammo...  (Read 18455 times)

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: Seems the Judge is iffy even with the "right" ammo...
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »
Revolvers? Their automatics are supposed to be pretty good, aside from their Beretta 21 copies (which don't always work that well for Beretta, either).

My carry is a PT 27/7 Millennium 140.  I've never had a jam and I keep a decent pattern in a target. I don't own a Judge.  I need a revolver, but I want one that is carry friendly, the Judge isn't.  I have no problem with bashing a gun for it's failures, but don't bash the owners.  Everyone has had buyers regret, they will either learn or eat their BBQed sparrow.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2011, 07:01:47 PM »
Says the guy who probably has never owned a Taurus!  Have you? 

1. PT 908 (the SIG-looking 9mm)....nice concept for the time, but shot patterns with 115gr ammo. Had to use 147gr ammo to get anything close to a group. Had to send it back once to replace the extractor spring.....back in the day when Taurus Customer Service was actually good.....

2. M94 .22lr....this is an older model I bought used. Needs the rear sight replaced, but a pretty good nine-gun.

The models that Taurus has been making for 10+ years (85, 605, PT92, 94, etc.) tend to be pretty bug-free. It's the newer stuff that seems to cause the most problems, based on numerous posts on numerous boards. I'm also disgusted that Taurus uses its customers for QC instead of doing it in the factory.  I'd pretty much recommend...

1. Don't buy a Taurus model unless it's been in production more than five years.

2. Don't count on Taurus to make it right. If your local gunsmith can't fix it, sell it ASAP.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2011, 08:55:31 PM »
My carry is a PT 27/7 Millennium 140.  I've never had a jam and I keep a decent pattern in a target.

What would you estimate the total round count to be through the gun?  Generally speaking when I see that somebody has NEVER had a problem with a gun that just means their round count is low.

If you shoot a semi-auto pistol long enough it will barf on you.  Hell, I had a Glock exhibit two FTFs in a match once.  Granted, it was dirty as a politician and drier than a popcorn fart, but it did barf.  Any gun that I have owned long enough and really put through the wringer has let me down a few times.

Pistols that I hardly ever shoot, like my S&W 1911SC, that's never jammed on me either.  But I know it will.  I just haven't put more than 500 rounds through the thing over the years.

My Taurus stuff?  No way in Hell am I getting through 200 rounds with either without a bobble.  Same goes for my Walther P22.  It will NEVER happen.

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2011, 08:59:22 PM »
Oh, a fun story that seems relevant.

About a year ago I'm in a client's office.  The president of the company comes in to chat with me.  Nice guy.  Another worker hands him a FedEx box that just arrived.  President looks at it, says, "What the heck is this thing from Miami?" and sets it on the desk.  About 10 minutes go by and he realizes, "Oh, that's my pistol back from repair!"

Well before he got that box open I said, "So, ya got a Taurus, eh?"

Yep.  PT-92, back from "repair" with a letter saying it works just fine.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2011, 09:21:40 PM »
I am waiting for the "Lunch Lady".

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2011, 09:29:25 PM »
How about a blunderbuss called "The President" ?

:P

Hmm, I would have sworn that name was taken by Taurus's small-bore compressed air gun.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2011, 09:37:57 PM »
They're having problems importing the President. It seems if its domestic or imported is in question, and nobody can find the Form 6.
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »
I am waiting for the "Lunch Lady".

Done...it even has the Ribber Grips....

http://www.noveltytoys.us/images/Potato%20Gun.jpg
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
Well before he got that box open I said, "So, ya got a Taurus, eh?"

Yep.  PT-92, back from "repair" with a letter saying it works just fine.

But, but.  The Taurus PT740 got 2011 NRA Handgun o' da year!

What distingrishes the PT740, however, is that should it fail to fire on the first try, the shooter needs only pu pull the trigger again for a second attempt -- a seldom--encountered needed (in guns that work) feature on a striker-fired pistol...

(Full disclosure -- my 605 works fine, upwards of a thousand rounds through it at this point.)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:53:39 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »
My Taurus stuff?  No way in Hell am I getting through 200 rounds with either without a bobble.  Same goes for my Walther P22.  It will NEVER happen.

My p22 is unstoppable, once I started feeding it only blazer, I started an experiment of how many rounds until I get a jam (without cleaning, at all)...I'm at 500 rounds, zero jams, FTF, or malfunctions (p22 with a gemtech can).  What ammo are you using? If I use anything other than CCI blazer, the thing FTF's or jams every 20-30rnds.  And that test included some serious abuse (10 magazines, as fast as I could pull the trigger) tests.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
But, but.  The Taurus PT740 got 2011 NRA Handgun o' da year!

When was the last year Taurus didn't win a "Handgun of the Year" option. Honestly, if you are reading NRA mags (or hell, most any gun rag) for gun and accessory advice...you're barking up the wrong tree...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

GigaBuist

• friends
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »
  What ammo are you using? If I use anything other than CCI blazer, the thing FTF's or jams every 20-30rnds.

Remington Golden Bullets mostly which I know is part of the problem, but I tend to think a .22LR plinker should be able to consume any ammo that's in spec. 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2011, 11:03:57 PM »
When was the last year Taurus didn't win a "Handgun of the Year" option. Honestly, if you are reading NRA mags (or hell, most any gun rag) for gun and accessory advice...you're barking up the wrong tree...

A gunforum FAQ -- what magazine to get?  (Handloader.  And that's about it.)

I still chuckle at remembering Am. Rifleman's first (there've been more than one) feature article on the Judge.  The first two pages featured a huge blowup photo of the back of the cylinder.  The nasty machining of the pawls (typical of Taurus revolvers) was so obvious that my wife (neither mechanically inclined, nor any way shape or form of gunny) remarked on it.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2011, 11:28:24 PM »
Remington Golden Bullets mostly which I know is part of the problem, but I tend to think a .22LR plinker should be able to consume any ammo that's in spec. 

I tried those, it hated them.  After some googling I found out the p22 is quite particular, and the factory does their testing with the cci blazer.  I switched, and never looked back, I recommend trying it, you will be amazed!

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »

>handgun magazine has a different opinion than I do.
>they're being paid off by the gun manufacturer.

How do I cognitive dissonance?

PTK

• friends
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
A gunforum FAQ -- what magazine to get?  (Handloader.  And that's about it.)

I still chuckle at remembering Am. Rifleman's first (there've been more than one) feature article on the Judge.  The first two pages featured a huge blowup photo of the back of the cylinder.  The nasty machining of the pawls (typical of Taurus revolvers) was so obvious that my wife (neither mechanically inclined, nor any way shape or form of gunny) remarked on it.

Shockingly, the Judge I have is extraordinarily well finished. I figure I either got lucky or they finally wised up to proper surface finish.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2011, 04:13:22 PM »
What would you estimate the total round count to be through the gun?  Generally speaking when I see that somebody has NEVER had a problem with a gun that just means their round count is low.

If you shoot a semi-auto pistol long enough it will barf on you.  Hell, I had a Glock exhibit two FTFs in a match once.  Granted, it was dirty as a politician and drier than a popcorn fart, but it did barf.  Any gun that I have owned long enough and really put through the wringer has let me down a few times.

Pistols that I hardly ever shoot, like my S&W 1911SC, that's never jammed on me either.  But I know it will.  I just haven't put more than 500 rounds through the thing over the years.

I got it second hand. I have put under a thousand, 500-700 maybe, with cheap Blazer ammo. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com