Author Topic: Obama: Don't stock up on guns  (Read 18266 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Obama: Don't stock up on guns
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 09:58:30 AM »
Whether something is 'useless' is determined plainly by its market price. From the point of view of economics, an item that people are willing to pay $100 for for use in industry and an item that people are willing to pay $100 for to shove in their nostril are equal in value. That's even repeated in Marxist economic theory.

In addition, as I point out again and again, free banking is a completely viable option. It's certainly better than Keynesianism.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 10:00:36 AM »
The pocket rocket was a 10 round 9mm pistol that followed the AWB guidelines for "low capacity" magazines

Because the manufacturers made form follow function, they were smaller due to the lack of a grip frame designed to contain 16 rounds.

I think one of the main gun rags had a cover emblazoned with "Pocket Rocket" and the VPC took it and ran with it.

http://www.vpc.org/studies/pockintr.htm

Today pocket rocket is used more to describe those tiny motorcycles
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »
I wouldn't say it was useless either.  If it didn't have uses, it wouldn't be as valuable as it is.  Electrical conductivity and corrosion resistance to name two.  That fact that it has been used as a store of wealth is something else. 

That doesn't mean I necessarily disagree with you on the gold standard subject. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »
So when Prince say,"I got a rocket in my pocket and baby, it's ready to roar..." he's talking about,,,  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 03:47:45 PM »
The only bad thing about that is that there's lots of people without any training buying stuff, and they really...really need to take a class. The ones asking where the bullets go, covering everyone in the store, all that.

Because they're the ones who are going to have an ND, and they're the ones who are going to be used by the Obamatons as proof that guns in the home are too dangerous and cause tragedies.

I really, really wish the NRA would put out an ad campaign of "Getting a gun? Get educated."

How 'bout we do that:
---
Dear responsible adults, now that the President elect has your attention, we are -really- glad to hear you're all buying guns. More guns in the hands of good people means less crime and a safer society.

But don't let it stop there. If you miss out on training you're missing most of the fun! And who has been providing lower cost firearms education since 1875? What's the worlds largest trainer of civilians in firearms safety and marksmanship for over 175 years? Have a look here
http://www.nrahq.org/education/training
and see the details of what they offer. That new lifesaver isn't just for the dust bunnies, it's a fun new skill for you.
---
I'm completely serious. We don't have to wait for NRA to launch a new campaign. Nor for the State to mandate how we use our life preservers (I'll fight mandated training with every fiber in me). We can get in contact with these folks right now. Whip something out on your ink jet printer, and see if your local range will put it on the counter (use a copy center for less expensive final output). Forward this, or your variant of it to friends and email lists. All IMO -Boyd Kneeland NRA election volunteer coordinator wa-08, NRA Training Counselor

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2008, 06:06:49 PM »
Actually....I agree with Obama....don't stock up on guns....stock up on ammo and mags and spare parts....

I really, really wish the NRA would put out an ad campaign of "Getting a gun? Get educated." to prevent that.

If people got educated, they wouldn't have voted for him in the first place....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »
So our economy is doing poor, and Obama is discouraging US citizens from pouring money into it? Not to mention some of the companies getting business right about now hold historical significance in this country's history.

What an idiot. Completely see-through.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »
Maybe if someone would come up with a "green" gun, Obama would have less of a problem. Hard not to leave a carbon footprint with gunpowder and lead, though.

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2008, 06:26:09 AM »
Did anyone notice the way he phrased that?
Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue.
Emphasis mine.  So, what's he saying--that we have a few months?  Or is he saying that he recognizes that gun control is a political loser right now?  Is he saying we should put off our "panic buying" until there's a bill in Congress to panic about?
Yeah, Obama's website only says he wants to ban these things--nothing to worry about.

To quote Manedwolf,
Quote from: Manedwolf
Mags. Mags mags mags mags mags mags.

Lowers.

Mags.

I agree on the irony of Hamm's response to a faltering economy and Americans buying stuff.  I guess it's not ironic if you consider the source, though.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2008, 06:29:03 AM »
Maybe if someone would come up with a "green" gun, Obama would have less of a problem. Hard not to leave a carbon footprint with gunpowder and lead, though.
Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range, fueled by a miniturized nuclear reactor =D.
Alternative fuel would be spotted owls :laugh:. Very natural, very green :laugh: =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

280plus

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2008, 09:00:16 AM »
I'll take two!  :laugh:

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »
I'll take two!  :laugh:
Hm, might be time to start breeding Spotted Owls then? =D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

HankB

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2008, 09:20:06 AM »
Hm, might be time to start breeding Spotted Owls then? =D
As alternative ammo, fine; certainly not for food, as they're not very tasty . . . sort of like a cross between California condor and whooping crane.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Don't care

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »
The pocket rocket was a 10 round 9mm pistol that followed the AWB guidelines for "low capacity" magazines

.......Today pocket rocket is used more to describe those tiny motorcycles

Has anyone watched Dr. Sue Johanson's show? She usually has some interesting items for show and tell, including an item, commercially advertised as the "pocket rocket".

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2008, 12:16:50 PM »
As alternative ammo, fine; certainly not for food, as they're not very tasty . . . sort of like a cross between California condor and whooping crane.
Maybe we could feed them to some other tasty critter? :laugh:

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2008, 12:43:40 PM »
Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range

Hey, just what you see, pal...  :lol:

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
Maybe if someone would come up with a "green" gun, Obama would have less of a problem.

Suppose he's appeased now?   :angel:

=D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »

Suppose he's appeased now?   :angel:

=D
Hm, suppose one made an AR-15 lower from some kind of high-strenght syntethic material that has hemp in it? That would surely satisfy them! =D
Of course, all of them would be bought up by the stoners who'll then attempt to smoke them :laugh:.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2008, 01:38:02 PM »
Hm, suppose one made an AR-15 lower from some kind of high-strenght syntethic material that has hemp in it? That would surely satisfy them! =D
Of course, all of them would be bought up by the stoners who'll then attempt to smoke them :laugh:.
AR? Stoners? Coincidence?  :laugh:
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2008, 03:19:30 PM »
AR? Stoners? Coincidence?  :laugh:
Hah! Didn't think of that one! A new definition of "The Stoner Rifle" =D :laugh:.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2008, 08:01:16 PM »
AR? Stoners? Coincidence?
Damn pups.  A .223 bore does not work well for a 'shotgun'.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2008, 08:11:34 PM »
I was just looking in the safe. I'd have to buy another safe before I could stock up on any more guns anyways.  =(

:lol:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2008, 09:32:25 PM »
I was just looking in the safe. I'd have to buy another safe before I could stock up on any more guns anyways.  =(

I still have plenty of land and a shovel  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2008, 03:57:45 AM »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2008, 08:15:21 AM »

I don't know about that....I'm still mad about the amount of tuna that keeps getting into my canned dolphin supply....  :mad:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.