Author Topic: Guys, I want you to take a pledge...  (Read 26492 times)

Stetson

• friends
Re: Guys, I want you to take a pledge...
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2008, 08:35:56 AM »

Paddy

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »
If you want to trade absolute fiscal ruin in exchange for temporary permission to keep your semiauto EBR, I think your priorities are seriously misplaced.

Hmm, economy or my civil right.  I will take my civil right everytime.  But, I guess I have my priorities wrong.  If you want to balance the budget, get rid of social entitlements, last figures I had was over 50% of the population got a suck at the govt teat.  And a full 2/3rds of them DID NOT PAY ANY TAXES.  Talk about a waste of money and skin.

It's an illusion that Republicans will limit welfare.  The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (aka welfare to work) was signed by Clinton.  The result was a 50% reduction in the number of people on welfare.  It expired after 5 years and a Republican majority congress failed to renew it.   

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2008, 08:47:38 AM »
Wish I had a TV that large in my living room...

And those of you who are hoping that Hillary will provoke some sort of civil unrest...

Civil War II will be VERY expensive. And VERY uncomfortable. I happen to LIKE cold beer, in a can, bottle or keg, as opposed to warm beer that was brewed out behind the shack that the survivors are calling a "tavern."

Blog under construction

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2008, 08:52:10 AM »
Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, guess you need to google that.  It was a conservative Republican, E. Clay Shaw jr, who thought this up, and slick willie really did not want to sign it, but you had a republican majority in the congress in 96, thanks to the Democrats AWB in late 93.  Google is your friend.

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2008, 08:54:02 AM »

Paddy

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2008, 08:58:52 AM »
Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, guess you need to google that.  It was a conservative Republican, E. Clay Shaw jr, who thought this up, and slick willie really did not want to sign it, but you had a republican majority in the congress in 96, thanks to the Democrats AWB in late 93.  Google is your friend.

Exactly right.  Clinton signed it, it expired after 5 years, yet Bush and a Republican congress failed to renew it.  Whyizzat?

Google might be your friend, but big government 'Republicans' are not.

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »
So you found one poor person with a big screen tv?  You dont know how she came by that tv and proof that she is abusing the system? 

The rest of the pictures were children playing and some bicycles on fire escapes. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2008, 09:38:59 AM »
Well, the quote does seem to imply that she is upset that people are not -giving- her more/better stuff...

Sheesh.

Honey, we've got people in battery wheelchairs who hold down jobs - get one!

Blog under construction

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2008, 09:54:15 AM »
So you found one poor person with a big screen tv?  You dont know how she came by that tv and proof that she is abusing the system? 

The rest of the pictures were children playing and some bicycles on fire escapes. 

Read that article since you cannot bother to read the caption and what SHE said about poor......

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2008, 09:56:18 AM »
Where is the article?

Here is caption:

Sharon Jasper sits in the living room of her voucher-backed private residence. "I might be poor but I don't like to live poor. I thank God for a place to live but it's pitiful what people give you."

Blog under construction

Paddy

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »
You guys are funny as hell.  Instead of holding the Republican politicians you elect responsible, you blame the welfare recipients.  cheesy

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2008, 10:04:17 AM »
Partially. But overall, the "socially conscious" party is to blame...

Sooner or later, they're just gonna come out and say "Make those bad rich people work for you - vote for me!"

Riley, do you have a job? You're supporting someone. You probably helped pay for that TV.

Again. We've got people who can't even manage to use a manual wheelchair who become gainfully employed. The only thing stopping a lot of the folks who are on welfare is their attitude.

Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2008, 10:04:49 AM »
Who dreamed up the welfare system?

The Democrats.

Who fought like hell in the 1990s to get career welfare recipients OFF welfare and into jobs training programs and jobs?

The Republicans.

Who fought like hell to prevent the Republicans from getting career welfare recipients off welfare and into jobs training programs and jobs?

The Democrats.

Seems to me no matter how you cut it the Republicans have done a lot more at ending the career welfare debacle in this country than the Democrats.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Paddy

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2008, 10:11:42 AM »
Seems to me no matter how you cut it the Republicans have done a lot more at ending the career welfare debacle in this country than the Democrats.

I've three words for you. Medicare Part D.  Tell me that isn't welfare.

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2008, 10:23:32 AM »
Although PRWORA has expired, Congress has continued to fund the program until a new bill is enacted.

]

From the above wiki article. 

It's like this.  Both parties are bad, real bad.  The democrats are the worst of the lot, kinda wanting to make us in to the USSA, and doing a fair job at it.  From your comment about the 2nd Amend being less important than the economy, it tells me all I need to know how you look at things.  The 2nd Amend is not negotiable, it is not second place, to anything IMO. 

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2008, 10:27:50 AM »
Instead of holding the Republican politicians you elect responsible, you blame the welfare recipients. 

You damn right I do.  When over 50% of the population is sucking at the govt teat, you have one hell of a voting block.  And all 3 democrats running want to INCREASE the size of the TEAT.  So yes, I do blame the welfare rats.  (you dont even want to know what taxes I pay)  A waste of good skin and oxygen.  And we do want to hold the Republicans responsible, we just dont want the democrats taking all we own to redistribute it.  If you think welfare is such a good thing, feel free to help them out.  I am sure they wont turn you down.

Paddy

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2008, 10:28:44 AM »
The 2nd Amend is not negotiable, it is not second place, to anything IMO.

If you really believed that, you wouldn't rely on government's permission for you to retain your RKBA.  Apparently, you think it is negotiable, because you're afraid some political party will take it away from you.

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2008, 10:44:24 AM »
I dont rely on anyone permission to carry.  I carry where and when I please.  The point is, yes both parties want to take away the 2A.  No arguement there.  The cold hard fact is that the Democrats want to do it faster, while creating a voting block within the welfare state to support them. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2008, 10:50:19 AM »
Riley, in case you haven't noticed, it's about power. And the political party in question has had no problem with using power to achieve its aims. Which will include sending militarized police to pick up our toys.

I can see the newspaper story now:

PODUNKVILLE: The Firearms Anti-Terror and Warfare Homeland Security (FATWHS) unit assigned to Eastjeebers County responded to a tip this afternoon, in the Happy Acres subdivision. They discovered a group of heavily entrenched firearms-owning insurgents, and after a sustained altercation, recovered three assault rifles, and dozens of rounds of live ammunition. During the conflict, in which the insurgents' hiding place was destroyed, it was reported that the insurgents shot over 48 residents of the Happy Acres, and destroyed eight houses with the firepower from their assault weapons. Captain Issac Burbanite says that things could have been much worse, but since his unit approached the concealed fortress in several M1 Abrams tanks, they did not sustain any casualties from the powerful assault weapons.

Blog under construction

Paddy

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2008, 10:57:26 AM »
Don't you think there are enough actual threats to worry about, the declining dollar, increasing oil prices, porous borders, increasing national debt, increasing trade deficits, etc., et yada, without imagining fictional stuff that may never happen?*

Or is it just too much fun to do keyboard commando conjecturing?

*and even if it were to happen nobody would do squat about it anyway.  Nobody's doing squat right now (except vote Republican  rolleyes )when the battle is easy. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2008, 11:33:43 AM »
So, you think that the Clinton history of weird doings with China is going to be any better?

Because a protest vote is a vote for Clinton and/or Obama and/or Clinton...
Blog under construction

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2008, 12:24:38 PM »
The 2nd Amend is not negotiable, it is not second place, to anything IMO.

If you really believed that, you wouldn't rely on government's permission for you to retain your RKBA.  Apparently, you think it is negotiable, because you're afraid some political party will take it away from you.

No....but I do believe that, depending on who is elected to government, that said government will send out large numbers of individuals better-armed than I to take what few guns I have......

...and I want to delay that as much as possible.

A true conservative leadership will do that......compromise won't......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2008, 12:44:02 PM »
So, compromise voting is bad, because folks won't erode civil liberties as fast, so you want someone in office who will tear 'em down faster?

Bogie head 'splode...

Blog under construction

nico

• friend
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »
Because a protest vote is a vote for Clinton and/or Obama and/or Clinton...

. . . and a vote for Romney is a vote for a guy who, a few weeks ago, said he'd have signed the AWB renewal. . . and a vote for McCain is a vote for a guy who has shown disdain for the First Amendment and can't be trusted to veto any gun-grabbing bills either. 

I don't see anyone arguing that there's anything good about the Dems.  The reason I probably won't be voting Republican this election is I have no faith in the Republican candidates.  I already know that my state is going to the Democrat by a wide margin regardless of what I do, so I have no desire to give any of the current Repubs the kind of "mandate" that Bush claimed he had after he barely got the majority of the popular vote. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »
So, we know that Romney and McCain _might_ buck their party, and _might_ support gun control.

And we know that Hillary and Obama will go with their party, and support gun control.

So it's better that Hillary and Obama get elected.

Y'all's logic jist purely do 'scape this poor country boy...

Blog under construction