Author Topic: Larry the Cable Guy does Nutrisystem  (Read 6255 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Larry the Cable Guy does Nutrisystem
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:05:16 AM »
Saw this just a minute ago.  Larry the Cable Guy (real name Dan Whitney) doing NutriSystem.  No, it's not a spoof, it's the real deal.  Ha!  grin 

Brad

http://usatoday.feedroom.com/?fr_story=23342cffb675bad9bfe64be8e3e4f389e5ff7997&rf=sitemap
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Larry the Cable Guy does Nutrisystem
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »
Saw it a couple days ago.  Dude lost 50lbs!  If I lost 50lbs, I'd look like a concentration camp survivor.

FWIW, Nutrisystem does work.  An acquaintance of my wife is moving and had recently purchased a large amount of the stuff.  She couldn't take it all, so she split it up between my wife (she thought I might be interested) and her other friend.  I ate it for lunch and sometimes dinner for a couple months.  I lost 5lbs without having to do much else.  It helped that my wife was suffering from 24hr morning sickness, so she wasn't cooking big meals like she normally does (if she was in the mood to eat at all).

The food isn't all that good (ranges from ok to yuck), but the portions and calorie content help you control your intake.  A lot of the food is rather high in sodium, so you have to make sure you drink lots of water.

Chris

SomeKid

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 01:46:55 PM »
Saw it a couple days ago.  Dude lost 50lbs!  If I lost 50lbs, I'd look like a concentration camp survivor.

FWIW, Nutrisystem does work.  An acquaintance of my wife is moving and had recently purchased a large amount of the stuff.  She couldn't take it all, so she split it up between my wife (she thought I might be interested) and her other friend.  I ate it for lunch and sometimes dinner for a couple months.  I lost 5lbs without having to do much else.  It helped that my wife was suffering from 24hr morning sickness, so she wasn't cooking big meals like she normally does (if she was in the mood to eat at all).

The food isn't all that good (ranges from ok to yuck), but the portions and calorie content help you control your intake.  A lot of the food is rather high in sodium, so you have to make sure you drink lots of water.

Chris

Well, I may have to give it a try. I always figured it was just a gimick, seriously, it does work?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »
It works, and very well from the people I've seen who went on the program.  It's just expensive.  We have a guy here who's pulled off over 40 lbs on the program.  He loves it because it's laid out for him.  No guesswork.  Just heat and eat.  I think he said it costs him about $350 a month.  Problem is he has no self-control.  If he ever get off the managed dietary style he is going to quickly gain the weight back. 

If you can swing the price it's not a bad way to go for a nutritional, healthy way to shed the pounds.  But you would be much better off getting up to speed on preparing healthy, pre-portioned meals at home.  That's a lifelong lifestyle change that will be there forever, not just when you are making your monthly payments.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 05:14:10 PM »
What Brad said.  I tried it because it was free to me, but I lost more weight 3 years ago just by controlling my portions and watching what I ate. 

Chris

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
What Brad said.  I tried it because it was free to me, but I lost more weight 3 years ago just by controlling my portions and watching what I ate. 

Chris

This portion control of which you speak?

Do you buy a smaller pot?

single/doesn't cook much due to waste
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »
I make a mean omelet... I -really- need to get back on a low carb regimen...

Blog under construction

SomeKid

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »
$350 a month, ouch. How much weight do you tend to lose a month?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 12:43:10 AM »
If you average it out it's ~$81 a week for all your food. Sounds reasonable to me.  If it's so healthy why is it loaded with salt? Same thing with the diet treats. It doesn't taste as good without the fat so they load it up with sugar to compensate. Makes little to no sense. My problem is being on the road bombarded with food advertising all day and having money in my pocket. If I was broke I'd probably be skinny.  grin

Yep, I've been trying to get back on the wagon myself, again, it has been a constant battle since about age 28, before that I was a rail, then one day I saw a picture of myself and there was this gut hanging off of me.  Then a few years later I found out I couldn't just run around and play a game of b ball with the kids like I used to. shocked

I've been trying to catch back up ever since.  undecided 
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 03:27:17 AM »
If I lost 50 pounds, I'd... well, I'd still look fat.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 04:47:09 AM »
I make a mean omelet... I -really- need to get back on a low carb regimen...

That's the only thing that's ever really worked for me and I get to eat what i really like.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 04:57:06 AM »
single/doesn't cook much due to waste

What waste?  You cut recipes in half or even quarter it and keep the leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.  I used to cook frequently even when I lived alone.

$350 a month, ouch. How much weight do you tend to lose a month?

I lost about 2.5lbs/month, but I wasn't on the diet exclusively.  I mainly used it for lunches and some dinners.  I went from about 188lbs to 183lbs.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 06:05:46 AM »
"What waste?  You cut recipes in half or even quarter it and keep the leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day.  I used to cook frequently even when I lived alone."

DING DING DING!

I do live alone, and I cook for myself probably 5 out of 7 nights a week. I've gotten very good at cooking for one, but at the same time I often cook a full meal and eat the leftovers for lunches or dinners.

One of my favorites for that kind of treatment is crock pot shepherd's pie.

Right now I'm torn over what I'm doing for dinner this evening. Pressure cook a corned beef, or pressure cook BBQ chicken.

Fortunately, Mtnbkr and Mrs. Mtnbkr often have me over for dinner, so that cuts down on the amount I need to cook.  grin
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 07:29:45 AM »
Fortunately, Mtnbkr and Mrs. Mtnbkr often have me over for dinner, so that cuts down on the amount I need to cook.  grin

And cuts down on the leftovers I have to eat (Shell's not fond of leftovers).

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 07:36:32 AM »
"Shell's not fond of leftovers"

Gee... Imagine that! Cover them in meat and cheese and she'll eat them...   laugh

SomeKid

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 08:57:01 AM »

High salt isn't a big issue unless you have cardiac or renal problems. A person whose body is working normally can just flush the excess salt away, assuming they are adequately hydrated.

Fun trivia from my Pharmacology class: What is the RDA of salt, and how much does your average American consume?

Answer: 2g, and 12g.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 11:41:22 AM »
High salt might just encourage you to break a sweat more often.  Smiley

It doesn't surprise me that managing food intake would reduce weight over time. 

I don't normally eat a full dinner since my co-workers like to go eat out at lunch.  It just means lunch is my big meal of the day and I try to stay light for breakfast and dinner.  My problem is buying too much snack food.  I think I lose weight when I put off going to the store.  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 03:53:01 PM »
All Nutrisystem is about is portion control.  You pay them beucoup money for a couple of months to train you to eat smaller portions.

Wife tried it.  She was fascinated with it for a couple of weeks, after which she claimed it all started tasting the same.  I watched her do this for a month and concluded that portion control is all it was.  Eat smaller portions of your favorite foods and save yourself $350.00 a month.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 06:31:43 AM »
Problem is...I need big portions or I starve. ;_;
But yea, for a while there, that's what I did...I ate a little less and less often.  Maybe skipping a meal here and there.
Lost 20 pounds REAL fast...been stuck teetering at 170...can't get any lower for some reason.

Oh!  Also, diet sodas really helped a lot I think.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 10:12:21 AM »
All Nutrisystem is about is portion control.  You pay them beucoup money for a couple of months to train you to eat smaller portions.

Wife tried it.  She was fascinated with it for a couple of weeks, after which she claimed it all started tasting the same.  I watched her do this for a month and concluded that portion control is all it was.  Eat smaller portions of your favorite foods and save yourself $350.00 a month.

Yep, instead of having to count calories, they count the calories for you.
But hey, whatever works for people is fine.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 10:39:33 AM »
Oh!  Also, diet sodas really helped a lot I think.

Might be careful with the artifical sweeteners. 

There is some evidence to suggest that the body reacts to these sweeteners the same as it does sucrose.  The reaction on the tongue that makes it taste "sweet" also acts to trigger increased insuling production in anticipation of the added sugars, getting ready to do the digestion boogie.  Only there isn't any added sucrose in the artificial product.  As a result insulin levels remain elevated, making you feel more hungry.

Try coffee or tea if you need the caffeine fix.  If not, go with water.

Brad
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 02:31:49 PM »
I really, really need to drop caffeine. It's costing me mucho money (20oz cokes are expensive- $1.39!). I also need to cut eating out- I eat way too much. One thing that I have been doing a while is eating one big meal a day, and maybe some snacks. That's usually it. I don't eat with the family because I am at class or away when they eat, so lunch is all I get.

I'm waiting until I get a couple of days off in a row this summer after school ends. I get a hellacious headache when I drop caffeine, so it's basically a stay at home and take plenty of asprin while banging my head against the table to ease the pain affair. I've done it before, but fell off the wagon after a month and a half. Once I'm off of it, I don't miss it, but getting through that headache (it's almost migraine like) is the hard part. And, of course, avoiding all caffeine is a bit difficult. We drink decaf tea at home, and I don't care for coffee, so as long as I avoid chocolate, cokes, and Excedrin, I'm good to go.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »
I have no 'weight problem'  I am not fat, can eat anything I want and still keep my weight around 175.  I'm 5'10".

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 02:53:32 PM »
I have no 'weight problem'  I am not fat, can eat anything I want and still keep my weight around 175.  I'm 5'10".

People like you make me sick..............    grin

If I look at a donut wrong, I gain a couple of pounds.........
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

SomeKid

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »
Avenger, where do you live?

I can buy 24 16 ounce Coke cans for about $6.50.

In other words, you are paying .0695 cents per ounce, while I pay .0169 cents per ounce. You got some kind of coke tax or something?