Author Topic: NRA Fearmongering  (Read 9896 times)

The Annoyed Man

Re: NRA Fearmongering
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 10:29:36 AM »
The NRA is the 800lb gorilla even if they don't adopt your pet cause du jour.

'Pet cause du jour'?  Like anti gun legislation?  Oh, wait, they need a certain amount of that to keep the fear going.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 10:44:17 AM »
Oh, if any of the California members wish to quit whining about how NRA does nothing in California and check this out....

http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/

You're right.

NRA does nothing in California.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wideym

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 10:45:20 AM »
Maybe longtime members see it as "fearmongering" simply because every month we recieve another "act now, send money before its too late" letter.  We know our gun rights are under attack, but come on.  They make it sound like if you do not send money every time, you are personally responsibe for every gun law enacted.  Sometimes you can do everything right and still lose.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 10:51:36 AM »
There are simply better ways to word solicitation letters than what I received.  Who do they think their demographics are?  A bunch of frail old farts like AARP members?  If they don't understand gunowners by now, maybe they have no business 'representing' us.

WeedWhacker

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 11:57:27 AM »
The sponsors of the bill had two choices -- allow the bill to be voted, or pull it with the liklihood that it would never fail and all of the most onerous provisions of GCA 1968 would remain in place.

I suppose that boils down to a difference of opinion. Yes, the GCA sucked, and I'm glad I don't get thrown in prison/killed for trying to mail-order ammo from out of state. Ancient, tightly controlled AK-47s at $10,000 a pop don't impress me, though.
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 11:59:45 AM »
Problem is, there wasn't much of a choice.  It was one or the other.  Full auto benefits fewer people, then and now.

Chris

SomeKid

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 12:39:05 PM »
Problem is, there wasn't much of a choice.  It was one or the other.  Full auto benefits fewer people, then and now.

Chris

Still, it is a bad precedent. Overturn one small annoyance from past anti legislation, but throw a segment of gun owners under a bus. When will use black rifle owners be thrown under the bus? Or perhaps handgun owners are next maybe?

WeedWhacker

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 12:47:25 PM »

Chris

Still, it is a bad precedent. Overturn one small annoyance from past anti legislation, but throw a segment of gun owners under a bus. When will use black rifle owners be thrown under the bus? Or perhaps handgun owners are next maybe?

I agree, but my examples were poor ones, in this context, except for Heller. I couldn't quickly find the quote from Wayne LaPierre regarding disarming everyone in schools, 'cause we all know how well gun free zones work and how crazy peaceable citizens get the moment they get their sweaty paws on a g-g-g-gun!

Also, criminals bent on mass murder often reconsider their actions when they find out that guns are banned at their chosen crime scene.
"Higher education" is often a euphemism for producers of fermented, homogenized minds.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
I can't believe some of you people actually read those fund raising letters.   rolleyes  laugh
I haven't actually read one in years.  I just pick a return slip out going to the NRA or NRA-ILA every couple months and send a little money.  I don't actually read that stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »
"Can't you come up with some other sin of mine to repeat over and over and over again ad nauseum?"

Let's see... just last week you dropped another slur into the middle of a conversation -- your second one. That's a CLEAR indication of the depth of your elitist attitudes towards others. 

You forgot a couple of things.  At least.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »
I just realized the hypocrasy of this thread......Paddy accuses someone else of fearmongering.....
 laugh
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
I'll contribute to others, like the GOA or GOC, thank you very much

Hmm... You're willing to contribute to a group more concerned with NRA-bashing and chest-thumpin' political absolutism (which absolutely won't work) than they are with actually being effective.  Yet you scream at the NRA, the single most politically recognized and feared gun-rights group in the nation, because you don't like the format and tone of one of their fund-raising efforts?

Good friggin' grief.

rolleyes

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 03:14:47 PM »
if the NRA was half as evil as people think it is, we'd have nationwide concealed carry, no brady background check laws, and machineguns would be legal.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 03:37:16 PM »
if the NRA was half as evil as people think it is, we'd have nationwide concealed carry, no brady background check laws, and machineguns would be legal would be available at Walmart, next to the M203s.

There. Fixed it for ya.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 06:11:38 PM »
if the NRA was half as evil as people think it is, we'd have nationwide concealed Vermont carry, no brady background check laws, and machineguns and AT4s would be legal. 

Fixed it for you betterer.

Now, how do we make NRA evil-er?   

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2008, 06:52:34 PM »
Now, how do we make NRA evil-er? 

A goatee for starters.

On a serious note.  It's the National Rifle Association.  The stuff they get involved with on a state and local level should have a direct relationship to national trends and such.  Local and state level efforts should primarily be the responsibility of those citizens.

Kinda like how the republic was designed.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »
Don't forget all the other things the NRA does.

Such as training for women, law enforcement, military, the Eddie Eagle Campain.

The Friends of the NRA side giving grants to Boy Scout troups, gun clubs, 4-H clubs and other organizations for gun related activities.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2008, 08:43:24 PM »
if the NRA was half as evil as people think it is, we'd have nationwide concealed carry, no brady background check laws, and machineguns would be legal.

And this is a problem?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2008, 09:14:26 PM »
The problem is that they are not evil enough. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2008, 09:17:24 PM »

What fistful said.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »
Need to make Uncle Ted the president of the NRA.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 05:45:00 AM »
I'll contribute to others, like the GOA or GOC, thank you very much

Hmm... You're willing to contribute to a group more concerned with NRA-bashing and chest-thumpin' political absolutism (which absolutely won't work) than they are with actually being effective.  Yet you scream at the NRA, the single most politically recognized and feared gun-rights group in the nation, because you don't like the format and tone of one of their fund-raising efforts?

Good friggin' grief.

rolleyes

Brad

If somebody wants money from you, they should give compelling reasons why they should get it.  Maybe a recital of what they've done, or will do, on your behalf.  Dontcha think?   You're in the sales business.   I doubt you use threatening and demeaning language with your prospects.   "If you've got any brains, you'll list your house with me.  People who didn't lost thousands"  or somesuch.

As far as NRA effectiveness in CA, it isn't there.  Efforts on a 'Virtual Lobby', or local ordnances are not what we need, when statewide bans on .50 cal, lead ammo, so-called 'AWB's' and microstamping schemes are becoming law.

Name one prospective antigun law they've stopped with effective legal action in CA.   

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 06:07:02 AM »

Agreed 1000%.

And yeah, I slipped with the machinegun bit.  Thanks for fixin' that.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

JohnBT

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 06:34:04 AM »
Federal law prohibits groups such as the NRA from using dues for political purposes. That's why donations to the NRA-Political Victory Fund and NRA-Institute for Legislative Action are necessary. In fact, that's why the NRA-PVF and NRA-ILA exist in the first place.

John

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2008, 06:36:25 AM »
As far as NRA effectiveness in CA, it isn't there.  Efforts on a 'Virtual Lobby', or local ordnances are not what we need, when statewide bans on .50 cal, lead ammo, so-called 'AWB's' and microstamping schemes are becoming law.

Because your fellow Californians sat on their ass or voted FOR the people passing those laws!

Activism starts at the grass roots, and you want this group to do it fooooooor you. They won't. They shouldn't.

Californians have demonstrated time and again that they either want gun laws, or, by and large, are too lazy and entitled to fight them at the local level.

It's as if the founding fathers had had a bunch of meetings in coffeehouses, and asked the French to come down and fight the British for them. That's California.