Author Topic: Baked potato soup  (Read 5477 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Baked potato soup
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:46:42 AM »
I have a big bag of leftover baked potatos that my brother had frozen.  I mean a BIG bag.  10 lbs worth that had been made for the restaurant one slow weekend.  The taste was okay but freezing made the texture awful, all dry, grainy, and gritty.  My brother and SIL were going to throw them away. 

But I, being determined not to let good things go to waste (unless it's going to MY waist), began to try and find a way to make them edible. 

Lathering it up with extra butter and sour cream?  Ick.
A lot of cream cheese and butter?  Meh.
Mixed with lots of eggs and fried into potato cakes?  Edible, but not something I'd want everyday.
Potato soup made with chicken broth, cream cheese, ham, butter, garlic, and thyme?  YEAH BABY!

One large baked potato
One can chicken broth
1/3 bar of cream cheese
2 tablespoons butter, sliced to pats
1/2" slice of SPAM, small cubed
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of thyme

Mash the potato.  Add potato and SPAM to broth.  Bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes.  Add chunks of cream cheese and stir until dissolved.  Add garlic and thyme to taste.  Add butter and boil for 3-5 minutes.  Soup will thicken slighty as it cools.  For thicker soup reduce for an additional 10 minutes after adding butter.

I made it without the SPAM, but it wasn't nearly as good.

It'll never be served at Spago's, but it's darned nummy for quickie bachelor food!  My best friend, who is admittedly picky and sort of a food snob, liked it enough she asked me to make her another batch.  (Normally she takes whatever I make, sips or nibbles a bit to be nice, then feeds it to her dog when she thinks I'm not paying attention.)

I didn't do anything but mush up the potatos before boiling.  I suppose you could hit them with a stick blender after boiling if you wanted it really creamy.  I bet a little onion and grated carrot wouldn't hurt either.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
Re: Baked potato soup
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »
You had me until you added the SPAM.

SPAM is the reason that nothing comes out of the Hormel plant except product.

Nothing.

Think about it.  shocked
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »
I'm showing that to SWMBO, I bet we'll be trying it soon... Smiley

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:55:59 AM »
You had me until you added the SPAM.

SPAM is the reason that nothing comes out of the Hormel plant except product.

Nothing.

Think about it.  shocked

Culinary wuss.  laugh

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:31:26 PM »
So where is the catfish?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
Spam? God all mighty I didn't think people actually bought that stuff. I thought it came with the shelves at the food store, in case a leg breaks off and they need a permanent fix.

This sounds like a job for bacon to me. At least you know what part of the pig it comes from.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 01:05:59 PM »
Spam? God all mighty I didn't think people actually bought that stuff.

Are you kiddin'? I buy it by the case at Sam's Club.  It stores forever, can be used in almost anything you'd use ham in, stores forever, has less fat than bacon, stores forever, and can be easily sliced & diced.  Did I mention it stores forever?

I don't mind not knowing what part of the pig I'm eating.  A little mystery makes the meal an adventure.

-HankB

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:08:32 PM »
Are you kiddin'? I buy it by the case at Sam's Club.  It stores forever, can be used in almost anything you'd use ham in, stores forever, has less fat than bacon, stores forever, and can be easily sliced & diced.  Did I mention it stores forever

And it was rejected for MREs. How much lower can a food get than that? I guess they didn't want to destroy morale. cheesy

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:11:41 PM »
And it was rejected for MREs. How much lower can a food get than that? I guess they didn't want to destroy morale. cheesy

Not rejected.  Just renamed. Wink

Brad
-HankB

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:17:11 PM »

SPAM is too good for MRE's.....nothing better on a cold day than SPAM that was heated on your engine block with some cheese and saltines.....just remember to poke a few holes in the can..... grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 02:42:04 PM »
"I don't mind not knowing what part of the pig I'm eating."

Hum.... Idea for early TV advertisement...

Scene...

Kitchen, late 1940s/early 1950s style.

June Clever type tending the stove, obligatory pearls, perfect hair, pearl earrings, and chiffon dress...

Small child, immaculately groomed and dressed, 7-9 years old, runs in with a plate.

"More snouts and anuses, please, Mom!"

June beams radiantly at child and strikes a knowing pose, left hand on hip, spatula held like an Olympic torch...

"That's not snouts and anuses, Billy/Sally, that's Spam!"

June heaps Spam on kid's plate, who runs back to the living room, or hell, or where ever...

Pan to semi-closeup of June...

"When you want the real taste of wholesome American snouts and anuses in the convenience of an easy to store, easy to open can, you want Spam!"
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »
Hey, clean meat that is edible is clean meat that is edible. I don't mind eat bratwurst, either.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »

June beams radiantly at child and strikes a knowing pose, left hand on hip, spatula held like an Olympic torch...

Snouts are actually a bit of a delicacy down St. Louis way. The anuses are the people who buy them. cheesy
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 02:51:45 PM »
Snouts and Anuses?

Sounds like a typical Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern episode, to me.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 02:53:27 PM »

Snouts are actually a bit of a delicacy down St. Louis way. The anuses are the people who buy them. cheesy

Pickled pig snout. Ox-tail soup. Chicken feet.

For every group that throws a part of the animal away, there will another that celebrates it as a delicacy.

oldfart

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 03:06:11 PM »
When I was in college (a long, long time ago) a student in my dorm was enrolled in an ag program.  A group of them toured a slaughterhouse and meat-packing plant one day.  He knew he was going to see some stuff that might not be too appetizing but he said the tub of eyeballs was just more than he could take.  He simply didn't want to know what they were going to do with those.

Gives new meaning to the old "Here's looking at you" toast.  Spam anybody? 

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »
Eyes are quite popular around here for Asian cooking. I haven't yet gotten the courage to ask what they make.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »
Eyes are very popular in the USAF Combat Survival School, too.  If you're the lowest-ranked survival student, chances are you'll get to sample that fare, I guarantee.   laugh
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »
Is that a bathtub full of brains? 

Why do you have a bathtub full of brains?

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 01:28:14 AM »
So.....that's where they put the brains after you're elected to Congress....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 01:41:37 AM »
Pickled pig snout. Ox-tail soup. Chicken feet.
For every group that throws a part of the animal away, there will another that celebrates it as a delicacy.
True. I've passed on all of the above as well as cow tongue, chitterlings, hogs head cheese and something called "hog maws". It was the appearance and/or smell that did me in.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 04:04:56 AM »
Beef tongue makes *excellent* sandwich meat. You boil it (or use a pressure cooker to make it really tender), skin it and either slice it thin or grind it. Yum!

I'll pass on the head-cheese and eyeballs, though.

I really like venison (or beef or pig) heart. Slice it thin, flour the slices and fry in hot(!) bacon fat. Deee-licious!

As for the left-over baked potatoes, you can make all sorts of good things with 'em. The soup sounds good. I like Spam!

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:25 AM »
Heart meat is good for jerky.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 04:10:43 AM »
Not interested in tongue.

Who wants to taste something that tastes you back?