Author Topic: why do "they" insist you must be a computer expert to enjoy the internet? (rant)  (Read 6955 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
I was working on a well crafted letter, put a lot of time into it when I noticed my pc was reaaaallllyyyysssslllloooooowwww again.
I minimized the page and the whole dang thing disappeared!
I use mozilla and usually when you minimize its right there on the bottom bar and you click it to return, the one dang time I needed it, of course it freaking ....aaaarrrggghhhhh....
I put the new 08 AVG because my pc freaked out when I uninstalled the older version, and thats what slowed it down, I can not afford a pay for anti viral.
killkillkill;killlkilllllllarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Manedwolf

• friend

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Above photo brought to you by Steve Jobs and an Incredible Sense of Smug®
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MechAg94

• friend
Firefox has done that to me a few times.  Use Alt-TAB to see if it is still there, but just disappeared from the program bar.

You can afford $30 or $40 for anti-virus software?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

gunsmith

• friend

No, which is why I am so quick to anger lately, I've been sitting in the taxi for ten and 12 hour shifts for the last 2 months watching it get worse and worse
The past month my average has been around 3 or 4 damn bucks and hour.
I quit on friday because I pawned a guitar to put gas in the tank and came home with 20 bucks after a 12 hour shift.
I am soooo broke I am taking up an offer to go back to SF to live with my ex (in her house) and look for work there.
The Reno economy has tanked, and I've only been here 3 years so I'm still "the new guy"... Man, even an 11$ dollar an hour job would be a God Send and I'm an allegedly "smart" drug free guy pushing 50.

Hey all you young whippersnappers, do not party your way through your 20's and 30's ....get that degree or you might end up like me!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
Use Alt-TAB

Thanks! That worked.

Brett Bellmore

Yeah, had that happen to me, too. I think it's a Microsoft OS bug, not a bug in Firefox.

The Annoyed Man

Hope everything works out for you with jobs and money and such.

Leatherneck

• friend
The Reno economy has tanked,
The entire US economy is on the brink of something bad. Prices are rising so fast even those of us with "comfortable" incomes are feeling pinched. Sorry if this hijacks your thread gunsmith.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Phyphor

• friend

No, which is why I am so quick to anger lately, I've been sitting in the taxi for ten and 12 hour shifts for the last 2 months watching it get worse and worse
The past month my average has been around 3 or 4 damn bucks and hour.
I quit on friday because I pawned a guitar to put gas in the tank and came home with 20 bucks after a 12 hour shift.
I am soooo broke I am taking up an offer to go back to SF to live with my ex (in her house) and look for work there.
The Reno economy has tanked, and I've only been here 3 years so I'm still "the new guy"... Man, even an 11$ dollar an hour job would be a God Send and I'm an allegedly "smart" drug free guy pushing 50.

Hey all you young whippersnappers, do not party your way through your 20's and 30's ....get that degree or you might end up like me!

Have you tried Trend Micro's housecall? It's free and web based,
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

The Annoyed Man

Google SmitFix.

Manedwolf

• friend

Nah, just that that model (iMac Core 2 Duo) is honestly ready to go as soon as you take it out of the box. It finds the network settings easily, firewall is a go, and there's no load of CrapWare (TM) to sort through and Windows Vista bloat features to find and shut down. And no spyware. No cables, even, just a plug, since the flatpanel is part of it.

It really is a good model for people who Just Want To Get On the Web and don't want to fight with a machine.

Could PC makers do that if they wanted to? Sure. Have I seen any like that? Nope.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
It really is a good model for people who Just Want To Get On the Web and don't want to fight with a machine.

Could PC makers do that if they wanted to? Sure. Have I seen any like that? Nope.

Hint - look up from the Mac just for a minute and remove rose-colored glasses.  Even my Dell Inspiron 6000 went to the web immediately, no muss, no fuss.

Manedwolf

• friend

Hint - look up from the Mac just for a minute and remove rose-colored glasses.  Even my Dell Inspiron 6000 went to the web immediately, no muss, no fuss.

I have...the problem is unless you buy from most vendors' business division, request XP and specifically request no crapware, most all PC vendors deliver a machine loaded with Vista and a mess of demos, online service subscriptions and FREE OFFER programs installed that are a pain to get off. ISP signups, media players from Real to MusicMatch, instant messengers, plus running updaters for them all. Plus no really effective firewall, I thought, unless you go out and get one yourself.

It's not the machine, it's the condition of delivery. Hell, even someone AT Microsoft was complaining about the number of "craplets" new machines come with. It makes them look bad, too!

The Annoyed Man

Nah, just that that model (iMac Core 2 Duo) is honestly ready to go as soon as you take it out of the box. It finds the network settings easily, firewall is a go, and there's no load of CrapWare (TM) to sort through and Windows Vista bloat features to find and shut down. And no spyware. No cables, even, just a plug, since the flatpanel is part of it.

I run Windows XP, Ubuntu (Linux) and Mac OS X Leopard on my Vista box. I like choices.

gunsmith

• friend
All I really like to do on pc is go to my email, forums, myspace and youtube.
 It shouldn't be so difficult.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I can not afford a pay for anti viral.

Nobody's suggested AVG yet? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Good point, Fistful.

AVG is highly regarded, and free.

Vodka7

• friend
Nobody's suggested AVG yet? 

Probably no one suggested it because the rest of us read the initial post, where gunsmith says that's what he's already using.

I put the new 08 AVG because my pc freaked out

gunsmith

• friend
Yeah fistful!
Besides, we know that the economy is your fault!
 grin

The Annoyed Man

Good point, Fistful.

AVG is highly regarded, and free.

And it stops at least 75% of viruses and malware.

Marnoot

• friend
AVG's been getting slow and bloated, especially v8. After experiencing v8 I switched to the free home edition of Avast!, it works well and is much less of a hog than AVG is becoming.

Manedwolf

• friend
AVG's been getting slow and bloated, especially v8. After experiencing v8 I switched to the free home edition of Avast!, it works well and is much less of a hog than AVG is becoming.

I'm not sure why applications, and especially utilities feel a need to do that. More and more bloated.

Acrobat is adding support for in-document Flash, now.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Firefox has done that to me a few times.  Use Alt-TAB to see if it is still there, but just disappeared from the program bar.

Wow, that has never happened to me before.
Been using FF for years.

Tools > options > when firefox starts > show my tabs and windows from last time.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Racehorse

• friend

I'm not sure why applications, and especially utilities feel a need to do that. More and more bloated.

Acrobat is adding support for in-document Flash, now.

I think it's because it gets consistently harder to convince customers to "upgrade" to the new version. They have to add more and more features or there's no compelling reason to switch to the new version. If no one buys the new version, their revenues go into the crapper. It's just a natural consequence of the current software business model.