Author Topic: Mozilla Firefox (aka just another Big Brother)  (Read 9331 times)

Don't care

Mozilla Firefox (aka just another Big Brother)
« on: October 08, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »
Tomorrow Mozilla will launch a new geotagging project called Geode into Mozilla Labs that promises to leverage your physical location to enhance your overall browsing experience. :police:

For the rest of the story, go to:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/10/06/geode-the-new-geo-tagging-project-from-mozilla-labs/

Tracking software to determine one's location for ease of you finding things easier, countered with the ability of others to locate you as well. Be careful with this one.

Regolith

• friend
Re: Mozilla Firefox (aka just another Big Brother)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 03:27:54 PM »
You realize that this is already done, yes?  Your IP can easily trace your location to within a few hundred miles, even to the same city if you live in the same city that your ISP's servers are located in. 

I've seen many ads that were targeted specifically to the city my ISP's server is located in (which is Beaverton, OR).  So, they're already doing it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
You realize that this is already done, yes?  Your IP can easily trace your location to within a few hundred miles, even to the same city if you live in the same city that your ISP's servers are located in. 

I've seen many ads that were targeted specifically to the city my ISP's server is located in (which is Beaverton, OR).  So, they're already doing it.

Yeah, except they screw up with mine and tag the Comcast node over in Goffstown. Nice try, guys.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
"Mozilla plans to let the user determine how they want to reveal their location (via GPS, WiFi, manual entry, or other methods) and how specific they want that information to be (exact location, neighborhood, city, etc)."

This is something you choose to add to your Mozilla yourself, not something that will be required.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »
Edit: Should have read more carefully.

joebogey

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 04:50:29 PM »
Hey Guys,
I've been considering changing to Firefox. Is there that much difference in FF and Explorer? What are the problems with FF if any?
Thanks

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 04:53:41 PM »
Since 3.0, I've been finding that Firefox is more susceptible to malware, spyware and CRASHES now.  It pissing me off so much making me consider other browsers.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 06:16:45 PM »
Try Opera.  www.opera.com

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »
Since 3.0, I've been finding that Firefox is more susceptible to malware, spyware and CRASHES now.  It pissing me off so much making me consider other browsers.

hmmm, that's odd.

Even with the recent upgrade to v3 I've never had a problem with malware, spyware and crashes.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »
When I had firefox a while back it used to load the snot out of my computer with all kinds of spyware, I went back to Yahoo and a lot of that junk stopped.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »
hmmm, that's odd.

Even with the recent upgrade to v3 I've never had a problem with malware, spyware and crashes.

I never had a problem with IE either.

Chris

Don't care

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 07:01:38 PM »
I do know that Mozilla Firefox corrects vulnerabilities and other problems a lot faster than Microsoft's Internet Explorer.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 07:27:18 PM »
V3 wasn't an improvement.

I went back to Firefox 2.0.0.11 after trying V3 and Google Chrome.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
Firefox 2.x
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 08:03:13 PM »
I'm staying with Firefox 2.x (currently 2.0.0.17 I think) until Firefox 3.x has been through several fixes.

The transition from 1.x to 2.x was pretty much the same.  I waited several months to switch.

I have certain extensions that I use, and whenever an upgrade breaks my extensions, I stay right where I am.

Oh, and +1 on Opera.  I've been using it forever, since 3.x on in Win3.11 and Win95.  It laughs at malicious scripting.  It lets you capture pictures that sites don't want captured.  It rocks.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:06:37 PM by ArfinGreebly »
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 12:05:50 AM »
Seems it was my AVG Safe Search that was crashing the browser.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 12:06:13 AM »
I have been using FF for years and have never had a crash that I can remember.  All the sites with ads check your location.  Do a google or yahoo search and you will notice ads for your area showing up on the sides.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 01:26:55 AM »
I've been running FF 3.0.3 for over a month now and I love it. It's been absolutely perfect for me.

I run Spy Sweeper and Symantec (required by my employer) so viruses and malware haven't been a problem.

I'm fine with IE, as well, but it is slower for me than FF.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

qdemn7

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 06:09:58 AM »
Tracking software to determine one's location for ease of you finding things easier, countered with the ability of others to locate you as well. Be careful with this one.

This is FUD. Have never bought anything online? Most places state quite clearly that before you check out that "your IP address will be recorded for purposes of combating fraud." Unless your browsing from something like an Ironkey Personal Secure Flash drive, you browsing can be tracked.

And I love FF 3.0.3, Tried Opera for while, won't use Safari, and I only use IE7 if a site won't work with FF.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 12:09:28 PM »
Spyware, Malware, and crashes  eh?

Should get a mac.

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »
Spyware, Malware, and crashes  eh?

Should get a mac.

That's helpful, thanks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4609968.stm

http://www.pcmech.com/article/its-official-mac-users-have-a-stick-up-their-ass/

I use FF 3 and the only problems I have had are with Adobe Reader which was quickly replaced with Foxit.  For viruses and spyware it is all about what the user does.  If you don't do stupid things on a computer and take basic precautions such as a firewall and AV software life will be good.  If the kids get on the machine and go looking for MP3 downloads on dodgy web sites and start installing the applets the websites ask bad things will happen.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 12:32:26 PM by 41magsnub »

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 02:14:57 PM »
I went back to 2.x on my older, slower, home desktop. 3.0 was gumming it up BAD. Works fine on the work laptop.
D. R. ZINN

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 02:16:43 PM »
I was just waiting for somebody to throw in the obligatory "Get a Mac" bit. 

How very quaint, in the I'm naming my firstborn son Steve Jobs kind of way.

I've been running FF 2.0.0.17 here with nary a hiccup.  Couldn't say that for FF 3.0, so I reverted back to the earlier version. 

I'd wager that's a common theme amongst new versions of software, regardless of who authored them.

I'm also not terribly keen on how anything related to Microsoft IE reports back to the mothership on a regular basis.   =|
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 02:20:35 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 02:19:44 PM »
Well I know that Firefox version 2 works fine for me. I kinda like it.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 02:23:54 PM »
  If the kids get on the machine and go looking for MP3 downloads on dodgy web sites and start installing the applets the websites ask bad things will happen.

If the kids insist on stealing music, perhaps they need to do it off Forumw.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

2swap

• friend
  • : 4 5 ;
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 09:32:33 PM »
Oh, this is a big browsersecurity thread?

My 2 eurocents on the issue:

The safest browser: Elinks in the newest version. No features, no problems.

The best browser for those, who are chronically low on RAM but not desperate enough for a textbrowser: dillo. The little browser runs fine on my ancient craptop.

The best browser for those, who want features: Konqueror. It is very well integrated with everything in KDE. much better than IE in Windows.

Opera might be okay, but it is... strange to use, I never got to like the interface.

If you want FF, better get Kazehakase. It renders pages as well, but has not such a clumsy interface.
: spin
  92 47 124 45 45 58 emit dup emit emit
  begin 8 emit dup emit swap 2swap key? until ;