Author Topic: police taser diabetic  (Read 9325 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
police taser diabetic
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:13:41 AM »
http://www.yahoo.com/s/999940

sure they may have thought he was drunk, but does a non-combative drunk need to be tasered?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: police taser diabetic
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 07:34:45 AM »
How else does a samauri test his blade? =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:40:57 AM »
If you watch the video, Chief Wiggum utters the profoundly stupid "it's unfortunate for the officers." ;/

Really, Clancy?  How about unfortunate for the poor guy who was battered with a deadly weapon?

The city should fire this Cledus and all officers involved at once.  I wish the motorist's attorney happy hunting in federal court.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 10:57:48 AM »
I like bashing cops as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure why these particular officers should have treated this particular motorist any differently than any other impaired driver.  These aren't doctors, they are officers of the law.  If they have to sit around waiting for permission to use weapons on every uncooperative driver they encounter, nothing will ever get done.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 11:21:27 AM »
I like bashing cops as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure why these particular officers should have treated this particular motorist any differently than any other impaired driver.  These aren't doctors, they are officers of the law.  If they have to sit around waiting for permission to use weapons on every uncooperative driver they encounter, nothing will ever get done.

Who bashed cops? The only thing I dislike more then bashing cops is sounding like a cliche. But here I go: Some of my best friends are cops (one specific is a training officer in Seattle PD that's been a very good friend of mine and my family for about 30 years) and the only thing I hate more then bashing cops is when they do something worthy of reasonable criticism. NO profession is beyond reasonable criticism.

So, what department authorizes use of -"weapons"- to induce  cooperation?

Less then lethal weapons get used to protect officers or the public... did anyone see that in this video? I'm not denying that it might've happened. The guy could have had a mac ten in the hand that was toward the interior of the cab but I hope the media would have caught that. It looked to me like a sloppy drunk guy with three officers on him. All of them with radios to call for 3 more.

You don't need an MD to see the medalert chain and pull it off (so your backup can read it). With a b/gl rate of 11 the guy should have been -dead-, -before tasing-.  -If- we have all the facts here then imo those officers should be off duty and they and their department should be covering a good portion of the guys living expenses for as long as he's got 'em. My .02 from what I saw. bk425

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
I can buy a medalert bracelet for $10.  That doesn't mean that I'm incapabable of getting drunk and refusing to cooperate with police.  A police officer doesn't have the luxury of assuming that everyone who refuses to respond to his orders is suffering some sort of medical emergency.  This guy got treated exactly the same way I would have been treated if I had been acting the way he was acting.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 02:58:49 PM »
These aren't doctors, they are officers of the law.

Objection!  You are not in the same court rooms that I am in apparently.

Police testify daily as to their medical expertise.  "He was the most intoxicated individual I have ever encountered, your honor."  Don't get me started about field sobriety tests.

Prosecutors and police like to pull on the lapels and babble on about "personal responsibility".  Let THAT begin here.  Sue them all.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 03:05:16 PM »
Less then lethal weapons get used to protect officers or the public... did anyone see that in this video?

Yes. drunk + car= danger to public. If the police have to stop you they will use any means necessary. Tasers seem to do the trick. I would not advocate taking them away just because they are occaisionaly misused. If it turned out that the drunk did have a gun on him we would all be glad he was tased. I don't like the idea of being tased for not complying any more than the next guy, but it could save some cops life. Any time you are that close to someone who is not incapacitated, they can kill you.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 03:09:07 PM »
and if that guy runs me down i don't care whether his impairment is from drugs or his blood sugar
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »
The Taser used as electric whip.

Again.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 04:25:49 PM »
hurts less than the club
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »
Police testify daily as to their medical expertise.  "He was the most intoxicated individual I have ever encountered, your honor."
They're pretty good at detecting the odor of alcohol on somebody's breath too.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 04:34:19 PM »
And pills, dope, smack, primos, et al.

No end to the medical knowledge of cops. ;/

Cops provide the medical expertise, their dogs provide the Constitutional law expertise.

Ahhh, Officer Chompy, the four-legged Con Law scholar.  Who needs Professor Obama? =D

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »
They're pretty good at detecting the odor of alcohol on somebody's breath too.

around here they have flashlights that help em cheat

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 05:36:52 PM »
around here they have flashlights that help em cheat

Whom? THe cops or the drunks?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 05:45:09 PM »
i can't watch the video. so i can't give my opinion over weither the force was nessisary or not.

i will mention that a close friend was killed by a unmedicated diabetic in a moter vehical accedent. the guy sideswiped my dads friend who was driving a motercycle.
the scary part was the guy was never charged as it is not illiagal to be unconsious behind the wheel in the state of florida.
so my opinion is anyone who is incapible of being behind the wheel needs to be pulled over. 
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 05:52:47 PM »
Yes. drunk + car= danger to public. If the police have to stop you they will use any means necessary. Tasers seem to do the trick. I would not advocate taking them away just because they are occaisionaly misused. If it turned out that the drunk did have a gun on him we would all be glad he was tased. I don't like the idea of being tased for not complying any more than the next guy, but it could save some cops life. Any time you are that close to someone who is not incapacitated, they can kill you.

Wow....if he was THAT dangerous, the cops should have just shot him & been done with it....  :rolleyes:

Objection!  You are not in the same court rooms that I am in apparently.

Police testify daily as to their medical expertise.....

...not to mention having near-omnicient authority in knowing what looks "suspicious" and how to handle a Glock Fo-Tay....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 06:08:06 PM »
If he was driving in a dangerous manner, I don't care if he was drunk or an AA posterboy.  He should be pulled over.  Don't we always talk about getting punished for what you do, not what you might do if drunk/impaired?

I'll have to watch the video later though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 06:24:10 PM »
He should be pulled over. 

Is anyone saying he shouldn't have been pulled over?  I think posters on this thread are taking issue with his having been tased, not his having been pulled over.

Don't we always talk about getting punished for what you do, not what you might do if drunk/impaired?

Wow.

First, it is not the job of the police to punish people by the roadside.  There is this little thing called due process.  If this was a punitive tasing, then I don't care if he was trying to shoot everyone within a couple yards with a pair of full-auto AKs.  THe police have no business punishing people in a roadside stop.  Their function is to maintain public safety, not punish people.

Second, I do not think it is fair to hold someone responsible for what they do when they are unconscious or semi-conscious.  The exception is when they chose to get into that state through drug or alcohol abuse.  I'm pretty sure some laws agree with me on that point.  No, a guy shouldn't be punished for losing his ability to control to operate his vehicle unexpectedly due to an unanticipated sudden illness.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »
No end to the medical knowledge of cops.

Let me espouse some of my medical knowledge here. No one has seen "drunk" the way I have seen "drunk" unless they work on an Indian reservation or Alaska village.

Never, ever, could I justify a Taser on a non-combative drunk.

As a matter of fact I've opposed the purchase of Tasers for our department. We've managed to get along without them and there's no compelling to get them now.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 06:31:17 PM »
If he was driving in a dangerous manner, I don't care if he was drunk or an AA posterboy.  He should be pulled over.  Don't we always talk about getting punished for what you do, not what you might do if drunk/impaired?

i agree that this guy should not have been driving, but i don't believe the taser use was appropriate. it would be the same thing if i where having a heart attack. if i'm incapacitated to the point where i'm not a threat should i be tased for not complying?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 06:36:11 PM »
Well, if they get away with tasing people in wheelchairs....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 06:43:18 PM »
Well, if they get away with tasing people in wheelchairs....

Or people who have three cops sitting on them...
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 07:00:37 PM »
Ok, please lay out the non-taser scenario.  You pull over a guy who appears to be drunk or high.  What you expect the police to do? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge