Author Topic: avoiding airport security lines?  (Read 3494 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
avoiding airport security lines?
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »
anyone heard of this?

http://www.flyclear.com/

this card contains your "biometric security information" a fancy name for your fingerprints and iris scan.  all for only $199 a year!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: avoiding airport security lines?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:20:29 PM »
anyone heard of this?

this card contains your "biometric security information" a fancy name for your fingerprints and iris scan.  all for only $199 a year!

Good for the traveling businessperson who doesn't care about his/her civil rights.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:43:47 PM »
Lucky you, guys. You get a choice. In Israel these are going to be mandatory soon.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Teknoid

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Lucky you, guys. You get a choice. In Israel these are going to be mandatory soon.

The absolute WORST problem I ever had with airport security was in Tel-Aviv, and I was LEAVING. I thought I'd never get out of there. Evidently, a lowly tech guru there to train the local office was some kind of security threat. I think they were profiling pasty white guys.

Funny, I had no problem at all when I arrived.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
I have discovered an absolutely foolproof method of avoiding the "security theater" that has been passed off as security.
I haven't flown since spring 2001.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »
Good for the traveling businessperson who doesn't care about his/her civil rights.

Agreed.

Want to avoid airport lines? Drive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:51:51 PM »
You can actually fly anywhere you want and always avoid TSA:

Get your own plane and fly general aviation.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:47:26 PM »
I have discovered an absolutely foolproof method of avoiding the "security theater" that has been passed off as security.

Yep.  I made the mistake of letting my in-laws drag me along to visit a dying relative (in law) in 2005.  Last time.  I still daydream about a quickie vacation somewhere exotic, but have effectively avoided flying.  Not worth the hassles and humiliation.  Don't think I'll ever forget some big snarly dude standing over me ordering me to untie my shoes faster, when I was so heavily pregnant I could barely reach my shoes, let along while moving through a line.

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:50:10 PM »
As a religious person who truly believes in his religion, biometrics have always scared me a lot, in a "mark of the beast" kind of way.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:52:46 PM »
Buy you own plane.

Maybe we should form the APS airlines. Please stow your guns in the overhead compartment.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 12:56:01 AM »
anyone heard of this?

G2, there are several similar companies that cater to business fliers. Primarily, those programs allow a traveler to get thru the TSA hassle quicker by allowing the passenger to go to the front of the line or by having a dedicated security line.

All airline passengers go thru the same TSA screening regardless.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 01:30:34 AM »
Buy you own plane.

Maybe we should form the APS airlines. Please stow your guns in the overhead compartment.

Jackboot! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 02:37:26 AM »

Interesting :police: :police:
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 06:43:36 AM »
Buy you own plane.

Maybe we should form the APS airlines. Please stow your guns in the overhead compartment keep your guns under your personal control at all times.

fixed it for ya.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:42:43 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 08:55:55 AM »
Buy you own plane.

If you start scheduling service, then you're bound by the rules that govern the regular airlines.
What would be a far better idea is an "air taxi" service, dynamically scheduling flights.

You put a sign up form on the internet, and when you have enough people looking to go to a certain place, you call 'em and tell them when their flight is.  People that need specific timing can pay more into the pot, and people who want to be there "tuseday" can pay less, and fly along.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »
TSA is looking to crack down on the charter flights and such, too.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

guns and more

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 11:04:42 AM »
TSA is looking to crack down on the charter flights and such, too.
Yes, and private aircraft.
According to the rules, Tiger Woods won't be able to take his own golf clubs on his own airplane. (seems TSA rules don't allow golf clubs if the passengers have access to them, and in a private jet, the luggage is accessible from the passenger compartment.) And he may have to take an Air Marshall if going to certain cities, even if he's the only person on the plane.
Whenever you allow the government in, they spend all their time expanding their power.

You wanted "change" didn't you?

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
I am hearing impared so going through the TSA hoop is an adventure.  The TSA has no proceedures for people such as me.

On the other hand, I avoid flying, and I work for an airline.........when I travel, I pack the RV with my guns, cats, wife, food, whisky and hit the road......chris3

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »
I am hearing impared so going through the TSA hoop is an adventure.  The TSA has no proceedures for people such as me.

Really?

Now THAT's very interesting ... because it puts them squarely in violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act, which was one of Bush I's major achievements. Someone needs to file a formal complaint with the Justice Department.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »

On the other hand, I avoid flying, and I work for an airline.........when I travel, I pack the RV with my guns, cats, wife, food, whisky and hit the road......chris3

My silver haired pasty white 56 year old mother is completely deaf.  She has been screened several times.  Not sure what kind of threat she poses.
As an aside, we usually fly her on Jetblue.  She gets above and beyond treatment from them.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 10:51:11 AM »

Sounds like grounds for an ADA lawsuit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 06:28:45 PM »
I've only had two "issues" with TSA (of course, I don't fly that much)...

First was on the way to Thailand, when we were switching planes at O'hare. Mom had just recently had shoulder replacement surgery, and dad and I refused to let her out of our sight. I think we actually scared the TSA goon that day...

Second was when dad came back from Thailand. He could barely walk, and was less than 100 yds past the checkpoint. But the goon wouldn't let me go help him (one of the other airport workers saw what was going on, and ran for a wheelchair)...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 07:24:55 PM »

Me since December 2001. And I'm a .gov employee who needs to observe field tests all around the country. I told my boss, following a commercial-flight assault to and from DCA and Fort Rucker that I would never fly commercial again, and he should fire me right then if that didn't work for him. He stood by me, and I now use personal leave to drive a rental car wherever I need to go. I fly MILAIR when available. And I don't drive to ships at sea.

TC

ETA: I've received the top rating each year for the last two out of 43 Action Officers. It's not an "attitude" problem.
TC
RT Refugee

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 07:58:36 PM »
I stopped flying when I stopped being a sales engineer back in 2005.  I got to see the change before and after 9/11 pretty drastically.   I never had that much of a problem in home airports of SFO and OAK at the time, because I flew so much, most of the screening and future TSA people knew me.

I do have some good stories though, at just how much of a joke the whole thing is.

I once accidentally managed to get a highly banned object disassembled onto a plane with my carryon luggage.  I had used the same bag when transporting this object before flying and had forgotten to remove it.  When I got to my hotel, and started unpacking, it was right there and I freaked out, wondering if the feds were going to arrest me suddenly.  I ended up shipping it back to my house next-day fedex, where i'd be back there in time to sign for it.

Sometime after 2004, TSA got really split-brained.  Around then, they started to try and pretend they were a law enforcement agency.
One time, I was flying to replace another sales engineer who suddenly had to leave for personal reasons.  Everything I needed was already there, and it was just a day trip, so I had no luggage.
The TSA was REALLY scared about this.
"Why don't you have any luggage?"
"I'm just flying out to relieve a coworker who had to fly home due to personal reasons.  I'm flying back tonight."
"Don't you need luggage?"
"No, everything I need is already there, and besides, I just ran here from the office so I didn't even have time to pack?"
"How do I know you're not some kind of terrorist?" (Seriously, he asked this.)
"Well, I don't see how I can be much of a probem, considering I am not carrying ANYTHING except a wallet, keys, and a cellphone, all of which you've scanned"

He had to confir with his supervisor, and they finally decided to let me go.

Another time, I got singled out for one of the rubber glove searches.  I had various laser pointers with me because they were always part of my sales presentations; a green and a red one.  The TSA guy pulled them out and asked me what I was doing with them.
"I use them in sales presentations"
"well, we got a directive on these that they can bring down airplanes"
"Wel, if I aim them at the pilot, possibly, but thats not realy possible back where I'll be sitting.  Anyway, do you need to confiscate them or something?"
"Oh, no, they aren't on the banned list."

That whole conversation was totally "WTF" to me.  I had an item that they were worried about (stupidly, but still) they weren't going to do anything about it.

I got a sales-less job back in 2005 and have only flown once since, and I do not miss it.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 08:04:07 PM »
My silver haired pasty white 56 year old mother is completely deaf.  She has been screened several times.  Not sure what kind of threat she poses.
People of her subtype have been known to knit Afghans. Very understandable, it's for the children you know! geez,,,  :mad:

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!