Author Topic: Geico sucks.  (Read 5833 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Geico sucks.
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »
So I switched from Progressive to Geico to save about 40% on my insurance premiums.

At the time of insuring, they asked for my previous drivers license number as well as my current.

I didn't have the previous license number, Geico said "No problem, we can wait on that".

A short while later, they sent me an email telling me that they still needed the number.  So, I called the state DMV office of the prior issuing state to get the info... but they wouldn't release that over the phone; for privacy reasons.

Now, this presents a problem.  My wife doesn't work in a job where she can sneak out over lunch at go to the out of state DMV.  Realizing that this means she will have to burn a vacation day over this, I sent Geico an email explaining the situation.

I received a prompt reply that my email had been forwarded to the underwriting department, and I'll hear something from them shortly.

Well, I got a letter from them today.  Policy Cancellation notice, effective Nov 2, 2009.

It reminds me (in all caps):

WE DO NOT HAVE THE PRIOR DRIVER'S LICENSE INFORMATION FOR <me> AND <my wife>.

WE MAY RECONSIDER THE CANCELLATION OF YOUR INSURANCE POLICY IF YOU PROVIDE US WITH THE PRIOR DRIVER'S LICENSE NFORMATION (sic) FOR <me> AND <my wife>.

:mad:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Geico sucks.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
I would never deal with Geico under any circumstances.

I hope the company and all employees DIAF.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »
It sounds as if they've given you a month to get them the information.

I have no experience with Geico
7-11 was a part time job.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »
My wife called for a quote and they would not give her one without all kinds of personal info(other than what would be needed for a quote).  When she would not give them what they wanted, the person hung up on her.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 04:15:36 PM »
I have them and have not had an issue to date.  While it understandably sucks, if they are missing a piece of needed information I can understand their side of it as well.

How long have they given you after explaining they could wait on the information?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 04:35:36 PM »
Same thing happened to me when I bought insurance from Geico.  I didn't have my wife's DLN, so I left that info blank.  Got an email saying that they wouldn't issue a policy until I provided it.

I guess I can understand where they're coming from.  The want to verify the driving records of anyone who is covered by the policy (for married people that means both of you).  Without that info they can't fairly judge the risk you present.

Nick's case sounds like an unfortunate situation all around.  Nick can't get the info they need, and they can't proceed without the info.  Tough luck, but such is life.  Try another insurer.

I would never deal with Geico under any circumstances.

I hope the company and all employees DIAF.
Hows come?

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 10:23:39 PM »
Having been purchasing auto insurance since 1973, I can assure the crownd that geico is the best, if not the cheapest.

WildymmvAlaska TM
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 10:26:59 PM »
what about the un-crownd?   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 10:34:50 PM »
I called Geico after watching their 100th or so cute commercial, and their quote was DOUBLE what I'm paying to Allstate for the same coverage. ???

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »
Having been purchasing auto insurance since 1973, I can assure the crownd that geico is the best, if not the cheapest.

WildymmvAlaska TM

I have to disagree. Having been purchasing auto insurance since 1960, I can assure the crowd that Geico (formerly "Government Employees' Insurance COmpany") is the worst, or very nearly so.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 11:21:19 PM »
I called Geico after watching their 100th or so cute commercial, and their quote was DOUBLE what I'm paying to Allstate for the same coverage. ???

If Allstate gave me coverage for free, I wouldnt take it (puke smiley)

WildhavingworkedwiththeminthepasttheonlyplacetheirhandsareareinyourpocketAlaska TM

Golly jeepers...discussing insurance companies are as bad as discussing guns
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »
If Allstate gave me coverage for free, I wouldnt take it (puke smiley)

WildhavingworkedwiththeminthepasttheonlyplacetheirhandsareareinyourpocketAlaska TM

Golly jeepers...discussing insurance companies are as bad as discussing guns

Hmm, I've been with Allstate for 14 years and have not had one single problem with them.  I pay $98 per month for two vehicles, and the claims I've made have always been handled quickly. 

PTK

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »
I just use USAA. Happy so far.... but I've only used them for car, home, renter's, and personal property insurance for 5 years now.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 11:47:11 PM »
Okay, this might be a salvageable business relationship.

While rooting around through our files, I turned up a state inspection form for my wifes last car... it has her prior DL # scribbled on it, by hand.  It's smudged, but legible.

I should be able to get mine tomorrow from the DMV.

The real question is - if they are so eager to drop me, do I really want to continue this relationship?  =|

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 11:48:25 PM »
I just use USAA. Happy so far.... but I've only used them for car, home, renter's, and personal property insurance for 5 years now.

I hear all these great things about USAA banking/insurance.. but isn't this only for US military employees and retirees?  =|

PTK

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 11:52:25 PM »
USAA is for military officers and their families, generally. I'm only a member due to my mother being a lieutenant commander (retired).

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 12:06:24 AM »
USAA is for military officers and their families, generally. I'm only a member due to my mother being a lieutenant commander (retired).

That is incorrect. Any .mil member can join (E or O), anyone in their family, and the child of any member. My wife's sister is 2nd generation ie her grandfather was .mil, her dad got a policy and passed eligibility on to her.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 12:08:07 AM »
Well then, there you go.  =)

When did they expand it to enlisted? I was under the assumption that it was officers-only for a while.

EDIT:
The organization was originally called the United States Army Automobile Association. In 1924, the name was changed to United Services Automobile Association, when members of other military services became eligible for membership.

In 1996, eligibility was extended to enlisted personnel.

There's my answer.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 12:11:18 AM »
USAA was founded in 1922 by a group of Army officers who decided to self-insure each other, forming the United States Army Automobile Association. In 1923, the company began to extend eligibility to the other branches of the armed services, and was renamed United Services Automobile Association (USAA) the following year. In 1996, eligibility was extended to enlisted personnel.

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/static_assets/Media/Timeline_Aug08_v3b.pdf?cacheid=1798719168

=D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 07:52:17 AM »
Did you get a previous DLN by switching states or something?

My only experience with Geico is quoting them a while back and they were not lower.  I use State Farm and they have been pretty good.  I have a pretty clean driving record with no accidents or claims of any kind so maybe that makes a difference.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 10:54:10 AM »
They are ALL good if they only take your money and you don't have any claims. The difference shows up when you need them to pay for something. They all raise your rates, but a number of them drop you ... some after three claims, some after even one claim. And, of course, you then have to tell the other companies that you were dropped by ___, so they either quote you higher rates or won't touch you, which throws you into the assigned risk pool (where the rates are REALLY high).

Don't choose auto insurance based purely on rates. The company I use is the company we have been with since my grandfather joined them, before WW2. Their rates are competitive, but not always the best. However, they take care of their customers and they don't drop you if you have one claim after having been insured with them for thirty years. Allstate, for example, is famous (or "infamous") for doing that.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 10:57:21 AM »
The real question is - if they are so eager to drop me, do I really want to continue this relationship?  =|
It seems to me that they're not dropping you, but denying you coverage.  It's the proper response to one not respecting a courtesy.

They extended an opportunity for you to provide requested information, and after covering you for a period of time, were told you weren't able or willing to provide that info.
They did what they'd do to anyone who wouldn't provide it - They denied coverage due to lack of required/requested information.  

They made a mistake by thinking that you'd do what they asked you to do.

I have no experience with or relationship to Gieco.
7-11 was a part time job.

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 06:28:04 AM »
Add me to the pile who got a more than DOUBLE quote from Geico.  I didn't find them cheaper at all.  I insure both of my vehicles with Travelers and they're great.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 07:48:33 AM »
Geico just dropped my motorcycle premium by $300.  I'm not complaining.  Then again, I've never had to file a claim.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 07:51:38 AM »
Nothing against Geico.  We've got allstate and have had them before, too.  Good luck with both claims, and randomly dropping premiums. Geico gave us a higher quote, but nothing so alarmingly bad.
Also had Farm Bureau back in the day.  When I was a 19 year old kid it was the cheapest by a long shot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”