Author Topic: Obama receives the Nobel Peace Prize  (Read 21547 times)

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Obama receives the Nobel Peace Prize
« on: October 09, 2009, 05:31:18 AM »
(CNN) -- President Obama was awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday.
President Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

President Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The first African-American to win the White House, Obama was praised by the Norweigan Nobel Committee for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said. "His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

The committee also said Obama has "created a new climate in international politics."

In his short time in office, Obama has acted on a wide range of issues from the economy to terrorism and wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

This year's peace prize nominees included 172 people and 33 organizations. The committee does not release the names of the nominees.
Wait, what?
Crap, the smugness will NEVER end now. Norway has obviously lost it's mind.

fixed spelling error in title...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:59:02 AM by Gewehr98 »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Obama receieves the Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:41:16 AM »
The first African-American to win the White House, Obama was praised by the Norweigan Nobel Committee for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."
Except the people in the US that is.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said. "His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes [1]that are shared by the majority of the world's population."
Only because many of us are waiting for him to speak when his teleprompter breaks down, so we can have it confirmed that he is an empty suit.
As for [1], what are those values? Sharia law? Thugocracy? Corruption?

The committee also said Obama has "created a new climate in international politics."
Well, this istrue. The US is quickly becoming the laughing stock of the rest of the world (sorry). Bowing to a Saudi official, letting his mouth run without consulting his brain first, playing rock star in an effort to get the Olympic Games...

In his short time in office, Obama has acted on a wide range of issues from the economy to terrorism and wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Clearly they don't require a favorable result to come from his actions, the fact that "Obama has acted" is enough for them, consequences be damned!

This year's peace prize nominees included 172 people and 33 organizations. The committee does not release the names of the nominees.
Well, obviously not! Then people would notice that there are probably 172 people and 33 various organizations more deserving of the Peace Prize than Obama is! What the hell were they thinking?!

Whatever credibility the Peace Prize still had was lost today in their bid for political correctness and their wish to fraternise with the Obamessiah. I'm disgusted :mad:.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:44:23 AM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Obama = Peace Prize? WTF?????
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:56:14 AM »
OSLO (Oct. 9) -- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.
The stunning choice made Obama the third sitting U.S. president to win the Nobel Peace Prize and shocked Nobel observers because Obama took office less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline. Obama's name had been mentioned in speculation before the award but many Nobel watchers believed it was too early to award the president.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the committee said. "His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."
The committee said it attached special importance to Obama's vision of, and work for, a world without nuclear weapons.
"Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play," the committee said.
Theodore Roosevelt won the award in 1906 and Woodrow Wilson won in 1919. Former President Jimmy Carter won the award in 2002, while former Vice President Al Gore shared the 2007 prize with the U.N. panel on climate change.
The Nobel committee received a record 205 nominations for this year's prize.
In his 1895 will, Alfred Nobel stipulated that the peace prize should go "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations and the abolition or reduction of standing armies and the formation and spreading of peace congresses."
Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which are awarded by Swedish institutions, he said the peace prize should be given out by a five-member committee elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Sweden and Norway were united under the same crown at the time of Nobel's death.
The committee has taken a wide interpretation of Nobel's guidelines, expanding the prize beyond peace mediation to include efforts to combat poverty, disease and climate change.

On the basis of muslim values?  Is that what they actually said?

On the basis of apologizing for the fact that the foreign policy of the country used to be about upholding certain basic values, and he has been apologizing for that since before he took office?  Is that what they actually said?

On the basis of taking the final fiscal step that led the world into recession?  Is that what they actually said?

How the heck does Obama even rate consideration for the Peace Prize?

How do I fire the fools who made this decision?

Where is my blood pressure medication?  Where are my "happy" pills?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:30:44 AM »
For me the Peace Prize lost all credibility two years ago when it was awarded to Al Gore.

Amongst the nominees that year:
Irena Sendler (in Polish Irena Sendlerowa née Krzyżanowska; 15 February 1910 – 12 May 2008)[1] was a Polish Catholic social worker who served in the Polish Underground and the Żegota resistance organization in German-occupied Warsaw during World War II. Assisted by some two dozen other Żegota members, Sendler saved 2,500 Jewish children by smuggling them out of the Warsaw Ghetto, providing them false documents, and sheltering them in individual and group children's homes outside the Ghetto.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 07:32:12 AM »
For me the Peace Prize lost all credibility two years ago when it was awarded to Al Gore.

Amongst the nominees that year:
Had she warned the nazis about the fact that their crematories contributed to globular worming, then I'm sure she would've received the Prize as well.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Obama = Peace Prize? WTF?????
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 07:36:43 AM »

On the basis of muslim values?  Is that what they actually said?

On the basis of apologizing for the fact that the foreign policy of the country used to be about upholding certain basic values, and he has been apologizing for that since before he took office?  Is that what they actually said?

On the basis of taking the final fiscal step that led the world into recession?  Is that what they actually said?

How the heck does Obama even rate consideration for the Peace Prize?

How do I fire the fools who made this decision?

Where is my blood pressure medication?  Where are my "happy" pills?

stay safe.

skidmark

Oh, it is not as bad as all that.  And, it certainly can't have been for those cringing, cowardly, and oleaginous actions.

Why do I know that? Because, as I read elsewhere, nominations for the Nobel Prize this year had to be in by 01FEB after The One had been on the job only 10 days.

BHO simply, by the time of his nomination, did not have time to display the depth of his ineptitude and loathing for America...though I am sure all that counted in his favor after teh nomination.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 07:40:24 AM »
hes in good company with yasser arrafat
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 07:41:36 AM »
Oh, it is not as bad as all that.  And, it certainly can't have been for those cringing, cowardly, and oleaginous actions.

Why do I know that? Because, as I read elsewhere, nominations for the Nobel Prize this year had to be in by 01FEB after The One had been on the job only 10 days.

BHO simply, by the time of his nomination, did not have time to display the depth of his ineptitude and loathing for America...though I am sure all that counted in his favor after teh nomination.

Thank you very f'ing much for those reassuring words.  I feel soooo much better now.

No, I am not shooting the messenger.  I just still feel queasy.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 07:43:04 AM »
The NPP has been worthless for a long time now.

Nothin' but lolz here, folks.  Epic lolz.   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 07:48:15 AM »
Obama is the product of his constituency- people who expect to be entitled to things for doing nothing.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 07:59:01 AM »
hes in good company with yasser arrafat
And I expect that good ol' Kim Jong-Il will get the Prize next year.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 08:04:11 AM »
Nice to see the Nobel Prom Queen prize is still alive...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 08:14:58 AM »
This forum needs a "bewildered and shocked" smiley.  I came into this thread thinking that it was an Onion article.  Still thought it might be one even though there wasn't an Onion by-line.  Then I went and checked my news aggregator.   =|

The man hasn't done  a damn thing to deserve it.  If this doesn't finally bury the idea that the Nobel Peace Prize is worth anything, nothing will.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:18:21 AM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Bruce H

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 08:29:55 AM »
The Nobel peace prize and gun salesman of the year award in the same year, damn this guys good.
It is possible to always be wrong.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »

Ok, seriously, it's not April Fools' and that's a pretty morbid joke.   Uh.  You people ARE kidding, right?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
The man hasn't done  a damn thing to deserve it.  If this doesn't finally bury the idea that the Nobel Peace Prize is worth anything, nothing will.

Actually, I've rethought my position.

This is a BRILLIANT move by the rest of the world.

Obama was burned by the IOC decision. He was likely starting to doubt the power of his "charisma".

NOW, the rest of the world has told him "NO nonnononononononono....! We LOVE you!" He can once again become the pompous naif to be taken advantage of.

So, the world has refused to give him anything of substance (more support in Afganistan, Olympic games) and just gave him something symbolic.

Since he's a liberal symbolism IS substance to him. Thus, they are able to keep him bought off at minimum cost.

BRAVO, world stage, bravo.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »

Obama = Peace Prize? WTF?????

Say what?!?!  That's insane!

Also, appears true.

What are the 0bama-is-the-Antichrist loons going to make of this?

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »
You people ARE kidding, right?

Yeah. Sorry. Didn't mean to shake you up that way.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 08:54:01 AM »
Duplicate threads merged...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 08:56:04 AM »
Like many, I had to go verify. The Atlanta bureau of the Onion is running the story also, so it appears real. Those NPP guys never cease to suprise. I thought there was no way that they could top Arafat. Maybe they can do a posthumous to Idi Amin or Pol Pot to top this one next year.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 08:59:22 AM »
Like many, I had to go verify. The Atlanta bureau of the Onion is running the story also, so it appears real. Those NPP guys never cease to suprise. I thought there was no way that they could top Arafat. Maybe they can do a posthumous to Idi Amin or Pol Pot to top this one next year.
Or hell, why not just let Hitler and Stalin split it posthumously next year. After all, they had good intentions (atleast they (probably) saw it like that).

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »
The Nobel peace prize and gun salesman of the year award in the same year, damn this guys good.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

agricola

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 09:15:32 AM »
And this on the exact same day that your space fleets bomb the moon?  A crazy decision!

:rolleyes:

=D
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 09:16:03 AM »
The Nobel Prizes seem to me to fall in the same category as Oscars:  they're not given based on merit, but rather on espousing the socialist religion.