Author Topic: NY congressional race - the 'perfect storm'  (Read 6090 times)

Desertdog

• friends
NY congressional race - the 'perfect storm'
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
I do hope Doug Hoffman does win this election.  if he does, maybe the Republican party will take notice and run more conserative candidates.

NY congressional race - the 'perfect storm'
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Politics/Default.aspx?id=741490

Jim Brown - OneNewsNow - 10/28/2009 7:15:00 AMA political analyst says a special election in northern New York Tuesday could be one of the most important congressional races ever, and may even lead to a split in the Republican Party.

A poll released by the Club for Growth yesterday shows Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman with a narrow lead in the special election in New York's 23rd congressional district to replace John McHugh, the former congressman who recently became Secretary of the Army.

The poll of 300 likely voters shows Hoffman at 31 percent, Democrat Bill Owens at 27 percent, Republican Dede Scozzafava at 20 percent, while 22 percent remain undecided.  Hoffman has won the endorsements of Republican Party heavyweights such as Sarah Palin, Tim Pawlenty, and Fred Thompson, while Scozzafava is being backed by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and House GOP leaders like Minority Leader John Boehner and Eric Cantor. The GOP candidate has also received awards and thousands of campaign dollars from some of the country's leading pro-abortion activists (see below).

David Corbin, assistant professor of politics at The King's College in New York City, says he is not surprised by Hoffman's surging poll numbers because "American politics is ready for a perfect storm."

"I don't think any of us expected that the perfect storm would occur in northern New York, but the conditions were right for an election like this.  The way the country is moving in terms of the Obama administration, the reaction to that movement from conservative groups across the country, and the lack of a Republican response to the Obama administration -- I think all of those things together point to something like this happening."

Corbin contends that for years, Republican leaders have been convinced that "it's better to be an echo than a choice."  He says Republican leaders in New York state who chose Dede Scozzafava are "trying not to lose an election" instead of "trying to win an election."

Scozzafava's pro-abortion supporters
The Republican National Committee earlier this month made a six-figure transfer to the New York Republican Party to help GOP candidate DeDe Scozzafava in her bid for the state's 23rd Congressional seat. According to Congressional Quarterly, the RNC is also giving $85,000 to the state party, the maximum allowed for a coordinated campaign, and has two staffers on the ground in the district.

Many conservatives have expressed outrage over the Republican Party's endorsement of a candidate who supports abortion and same-sex "marriage," and who has backed President Obama's "stimulus" package and the $700-billion bank bailout.

In March 2008, Scozzafava, who has served on the board of Planned Parenthood, received the Margaret Sanger Award from Family Planning Advocates of New York State. In her acceptance speech, she voiced support for abortion on demand.

"The only way we ever cure those things of the human condition is by listening to people.  And each person is an individual with his or her own rights. And when you look at it that way, a lot of issues become very simple -- issues that are seemingly complex become simple."

Scozzafava has received $1,000 from the Planned Parenthood PAC and $2,500 from the New York Choice PAC. She has also been given donations by several labor unions, including the National Education Association's political action committee, which doled out $5,000 for her campaign.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: NY congressional race - the 'perfect storm'
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »
The only way we ever cure those things of the human condition is by listening to people.  And each person is an individual with his or her own rights.

Well, except for babies, but heck, they don't vote.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:35:14 PM »
Hoffman is in the lead?  Monday or Tuesday he was on Glenn Beck and he was last in the polls by 8-10%.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 10:58:27 PM »
The only two polls I've seen have been commissioned by Club for Growth and MoveOn.org, neither of which are especially neutral on the subject.  Naturally, each poll shows the patron's preferred candidate in the lead.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 07:08:59 AM »
I think three off-cycle elections next Tuesday will be a national referendum of sorts: Virginia's top three offices, New Jersey's gubernatorial race, and the NY 23rd three-way contest. It will be interesting to watch how the conservatives fare...

TC
TC
RT Refugee

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »
. . . Scozzafava is being backed by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich . . .
To say that I'm sorely disappointed in Newt would be an understatement . . .  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 08:42:04 AM »
She seems to be pro-gun, at least: See her ratings, and votes against tax increases a lot.

Is her only RINOness limited on gay issue and abortion?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

nraforlife

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:03:31 AM »

She is a Green Wackjob also but the above should be enough for any real conservative to shun her.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:04:51 AM »
She is a Green Wackjob also but the above should be enough for any real conservative to shun her.

Ah, but I'm no conservative. :D

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »
She seems to be pro-gun, at least: See her ratings, and votes against tax increases a lot.

Many conservatives have expressed outrage over the Republican Party's endorsement of a candidate who supports abortion and same-sex "marriage," and who has backed President Obama's "stimulus" package and the $700-billion bank bailout.

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 09:51:03 AM »
...wow.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »
I wonder how many recounts it will take to get the Dem declared the winner.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 11:16:34 AM »
I wonder how many recounts it will take to get the Dem declared the winner.

It is enough that the people know there was an election.
The people who cast the votes decide nothing.
The people who count the votes decide everything.   
                                         - Joseph Stalin
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 01:12:10 PM »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »
Maybe the Stupid Party might learn something from this......Nahhhh.... ;/

I reeeeeeeaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy hope Hoffman wins like 65-35% or more.  Maybe they will wakeup and re-learn the Reagan Doctrine (REAL Conservatives win huge).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 04:48:13 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »
As an evangelical golem statist shill for the neocons, I must register my disappointment.  And here I thought Newt had just saved the day. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
Maybe they will wakeup and re-learn the Reagan Doctrine (REAL Conservatives win huge).
Maybe the 3rd Party members will also learn to run in the Republican primaries so they can knock out the RINOs instead of running as a spoiler 3rd party candidate.

I know, I know, Hoffman started out as a 3rd Party candidate, but there was no primary, so he had to do the best he could.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
Maybe the 3rd Party members will also learn to run in the Republican primaries so they can knock out the RINOs instead of running as a spoiler 3rd party candidate.

Ahem.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 04:02:51 PM »
Hey what a shocker -- she's now endorsing Owens.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/01/scozzafava-endorses-democrat-dropping-ny-congressional-race/
Shocked! I am shocked I tell you! ;/
No doubt she would have signed on to gun control, I'm a native NY'er and lemmetellya, most NY
"republicans" are about as "conservative" as Obama.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 04:05:13 PM »
So is Newt so scared of 3rd parties that he'll have to endorse Owens too?
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »
Why would 3rd parties scare Newt?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

nraforlife

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »
In an email message from from her campaign, NY Assembly representative Dede Scozzafava, Republican of Gouverneur, released her supporters without endorsing either of the two other candidates in the 23rd congressional district special election coming up on Tuesday. Her statement follows:

http://northcountrypublicradio.org/blogs/ballotbox/2009/10/breaking-scozzafava-suspends-ny-23.html

nraforlife

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »
Hey what a shocker -- she's now endorsing Owens.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/01/scozzafava-endorses-democrat-dropping-ny-congressional-race/

just one more data point that the repubs and democrats are the Unity Party. Gotta keep middle American from having a choice.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 08:08:35 PM »
In my e-mail today from the DCCC

Breaking News: GOP Chaos Erupts in Special ElectionSunday, November 1, 2009 4:54 PM.  From: "Jon Vogel, DCCC Executive Director" <dccc@dccc.org>

Late yesterday news broke that the moderate Republican Assemblywoman Dede Scozzafava, candidate in the hard-fought special election in New York's 23rd Congressional district, had been driven out and the Republican party was throwing their weight behind the Palin/Limbaugh/Glen Beck endorsed radical tea party candidate instead.

Today, the moderate Republican threw her support behind our proud Democratic candidate Bill Owens.

It has never been clearer that the Republican Party has been hijacked by extreme right wing ideologues with a radical agenda that would effectively dismantle Social Security and Medicare, and are out of step with a vast majority of Americans.

Eight extreme right wing groups spent more than $1 million on this campaign including the Minute Men, Club for Growth and the Family Research Council.

This means your work and your continued support and dedication have never been more critical as we face our one-year-out reporting deadline and this election on Tuesday.

We are up against a well-funded extremist GOP who will stop at nothing to win and whose agenda could quite literally take us backwards to the days of Bush-Cheney.

But, you and I can't let that happen. I will continue to keep you posted on news of this race continues and thank you again for standing with us. We will need you now more than ever.

Thanks,

Jon Vogel
DCCC Executive Director