Author Topic: "Lose," and "loose."  (Read 30800 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: "Lose," and "loose."
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2010, 02:04:20 AM »
Maybe "route" is a regional difference.  In any case, I've heard it pronounced one way, just as much as the other.  I use both, myself, without really thinking about it. 

Hawkmoon, how do you pronounce "route," when used as a verb?  How about "router"? 

When I was in the army, we used the phrase "in rowt" (phonetic spelling), to mean that we were on the way.  I always imagined that it was spelled "en route," and it seemed like it must be French.  So I sometimes pronounced it "on root."  I don't speak French, but that was my best guess, and it just came out that way.  Folks found this amusing. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2010, 07:42:20 AM »

"Sabot"

:):):)

Route 81 = "ROOWT 81"
Router = "ROWTER"

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »
"Sabot"

You leave my cat out of this.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
how do you pronounce "route," when used as a verb?  How about "router"? 

You mean like...

The pig routs in the ground.

I need to get the roto-router man to fix my drain.

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Stevie-Ray

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2010, 06:08:36 PM »
I don't know if anybody mentioned this one. How about old-timers instead of Alzheimers?

My father died with that, so maybe I'm testier than most, but that makes me want to slap them silly.
On Sarah Palin.....The screeching moonbats, whose daily lives are a swamp of discontent, fault finding, anger, angst and every other dark emotion embraced by the left, can't stand to see someone who is normal and enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.....grampster

crt360

• friend
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2010, 11:46:05 PM »

I don't know if anybody mentioned this one. How about old-timers instead of Alzheimers?

I hear that.  I even talked to someone recently who called it all-timers disease. 
For entertainment purposes only.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2010, 07:30:22 AM »

Oh, let's not forget the girl I liked once who said to me, "Would you like some pasketti?" suddenly I was wondering exactly what it was I saw in her. OK, she had a real nice butt, but even that couldn't bring me around after sharing pasketti with her.  =|

Maybe she knew the right word but adopted that mispronunciation by choice?

For instance, someone saying "nucular" these days is not necessarily uneducated or ignorant of the proper pronunciation.

I hope you have asked her where the biscotti was, since that's closer fowneticklee.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
How about "chip-polt-ay" peppers? 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »
Hawkmoon, how do you pronounce "route," when used as a verb?  How about "router"? 

Route, the verb, is pronounced "rewt," just like the noun.

Router, the computer term, is universally pronounced "raow' ter" because it exists only as a geek term, and everyone knows geeks don't speak English, they only speak Geekish.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2010, 11:28:53 PM »
You're telling me. I married a Pennsylvania/Dutch girl 35 years ago. It's been a lifetime of telling her that a window seal keeps cold air out; it's not something you keep flowers on. And she played with dolls when she was a kid, not dawls. I don't like Pepsi, what other kind of pawp do yuns have? She swears she was taught that way as a child and we talk funny. I keep telling her I remember the phonics lessons I had and she would have failed miserably. And we won't even get into read (short for ready) instead of cleaned. Always makes for spirited conversation. =D And then when we go up to the Upper Peninsula, she really has fun listening to the Yoopers. Loud = louood. :P

This brings up the word and proper use of youse. As in: "Youse guys over there." Or: "How's youse doing today?" And y'all thought us hicks were weird for saying y'all.

Then I go see Minnesotans and root and roof usually come up.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2010, 12:32:03 AM »
Route, the verb, is pronounced "rewt," just like the noun.

Interesting.  Again, both pronunciations are very common.  That one is a homophone of another word doesn't make it incorrect, obviously. 

But then, I'm like you.  I regard my own ear as the final arbiter of correct pronunciation.  I don't care who says otherwise, "err" is pronounced like "air."  "Urr" just sounds dumb.  And "loo-poled" sounds dumb, too.  That there scope is a lee-uh-poled, and that's that.   =)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2010, 12:54:28 AM »
I don't care who says otherwise, "err" is pronounced like "air."  "Urr" just sounds dumb.
You made an urror in that sentence.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2010, 01:35:42 AM »
Are you trying to start a row? 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2010, 09:30:17 AM »
No, but I have to make a roux for my jumbalya.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »
Maybe she knew the right word but adopted that mispronunciation by choice?
Nope, not in this case unfortunately.  =|
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »
I don't care who says otherwise, "err" is pronounced like "air."  "Urr" just sounds dumb.

I had a CS professor from Lucy Anna who pronounced it "era" - as in, "you got an era in your program."
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »
I had a CS professor from Lucy Anna who pronounced it "era" - as in, "you got an era in your program."

No no, he was pronouncing error, not err.

Error is the noun, err is the verb. You can't have an "err" in your program.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2010, 03:31:59 PM »
No no, he was pronouncing error, not err.

Error is the noun, err is the verb. You can't have an "err" in your program.

Okay, he pronounced it "air-uh"

Sorry two urr inn sutch a manor   :P

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2010, 03:47:12 PM »
Okay, he pronounced it "air-uh"

Sorry two urr inn sutch a manor   :P

I believe that's "Man-uh"

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2010, 04:24:06 PM »
Erl,,,in Texas it's not oil it's erl.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »
Erl,,,in Texas it's not oil it's erl.

At least we don't put it in the "cah" :(

I think all the R's migrated from New England to Texas.

I still "worsh" my car.  :lol:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
I think all the R's migrated from New England to Texas.

Not all, only the terminal 'R's. Downeast in Maine, for example, someone who sticks you up with a gun is a "robbah" (or perhaps "rawbah," depending on where you are in Maine), not a "ahbbah."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lee

• friend
« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2010, 07:45:19 PM »
Quality thread.
Is that good or bad?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2010, 11:11:44 AM »
Not all, only the terminal 'R's. Downeast in Maine, for example, someone who sticks you up with a gun is a "robbah" (or perhaps "rawbah," depending on where you are in Maine), not a "ahbbah."

Still enough of them moved that native born Texicans have to use them up wherever we can.  :lol:

Another thing is when I finally went to college and said INsurance, everyone looked at me like I through a rock threw a window.  =D

I think it's a Scots[Irish] thing ....  =|

Stevie-Ray

« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
And "loo-poled" sounds dumb, too.  That there scope is a lee-uh-poled, and that's that.
You have aired. 
On Sarah Palin.....The screeching moonbats, whose daily lives are a swamp of discontent, fault finding, anger, angst and every other dark emotion embraced by the left, can't stand to see someone who is normal and enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.....grampster