Author Topic: Goodbye McCain/Feingold  (Read 16597 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Goodbye McCain/Feingold
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »
Everyone seems to be enjoying beating up on Republicans and President Bush these days, so I thought it appropriate to celebrate the death of the McCain/Feingold Incumbent Protection law.

Yes, I know that Bush punted when signing the bill, thinking the Supreme Court would strike it down. Without his appointments of Roberts and Alito, though, the law would still be standing today.

Meanwhile, Obama's "wise Latina" voted to keep the law intact. I'm sure we can rely on her wisdom when the court addresses incorporation of the 2nd.

Again, no difference between Republicans and Democrats.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Goodbye McCain/Feingold
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 12:30:19 AM »
Yes, I know that Bush punted when signing the bill, thinking the Supreme Court would strike it down. Without his appointments of Roberts and Alito, though, the law would still be standing today.

No nitwit quite like a lucky nitwit.

Seriously: it was a wonderful ruling.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 03:07:18 AM »
No nitwit quite like a lucky nitwit.

Seriously: it was a wonderful ruling.

I was stoked to see that this morning, lets hop B.O doesn't get to select anyone else b4 incorporation
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 12:14:28 PM »
They're calling it Judicial Activism.   :mad:

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 01:24:23 PM »
What's alarming is that like Heller it was 5-4. :mad:
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 01:57:42 PM »
"The majority opinion by Justice Kennedy is 57 pages, and Justice Stevens’ partial dissent is 90 pages long."

Anyone care to volunteer their time or can I safely continue think it all hogwash and handwaggling over fairly simplistic issues and views?

IE: Majority- jailing of citizens and associations for 1st amendment rights and a huge bar on newcomers due to complex rules and... questionable enforcement.

Minority: EBIL Corporations!  Look not beyond our speaking points and the common practice of banding [bonuses with expected contributions from receivers to work around direct contributions] as we pretend its a wholly effective law that accomplishes its stated purposes.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »
"The majority opinion by Justice Kennedy is 57 pages, and Justice Stevens’ partial dissent is 90 pages long."

Anyone care to volunteer their time or can I safely continue think it all hogwash and handwaggling over fairly simplistic issues and views?

IE: Majority- jailing of citizens and associations for 1st amendment rights and a huge bar on newcomers due to complex rules and... questionable enforcement.

Minority: EBIL Corporations!  Look not beyond our speaking points and the common practice of banding [bonuses with expected contributions from receivers to work around direct contributions] as we pretend its a wholly effective law that accomplishes its stated purposes.

Haven't read the opinions myself, but from the other summaries I've read (mostly by Volokh, et al), that's pretty much it. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »
I hope that a number of religious organizations can also overturn the LBJ bill that makes them not be able to mention a candidate by name without losing their tax exempt status.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:43:36 PM »
Again, no difference between Republicans and Democrats

How did the Supreme Court vote go among Republican appointees and Democrat appointees ?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 11:05:33 PM »
Scalia, Roberts, Thomas, Alito and Kennedy were the justices who said the law was unconstitutional. All Republican appointees.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 11:57:37 PM »
Okay ... so ... you still don't see any difference between Republicans and Democrats ?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 12:22:04 AM »
Silver Bullet, I was being sarcastic about the difference. The sarcasm was directed toward participants in a different thread, which is probably why you didn't detect it.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 12:33:07 AM »
Scalia, Roberts, Thomas, Alito and Kennedy were the justices who said the law was unconstitutional. All Republican appointees.

Dissenters:
Stevens (Rep - Ford)
Ginsberg (Dem - Clinton)
Souter (Rep - Bush 41)
Sotomayor (Marxist - Obama)
Formerly sumpnz

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 12:42:48 AM »
I find it ironic that you view the striking down of a law passed by R's as... proof that the R's are great. I lol'ed.

That being said, I love this ruling.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 12:59:27 AM »
I find it ironic that you view the striking down of a law passed by R's as... proof that the R's are great. I lol'ed.

I was hoping someone would see the irony.  :O

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 01:00:36 AM »
Touche'.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »

Huh?  What kind of childish crap is that, and why do people have to do that all the time?  Can you point out where anyone said the R's are "great"?  Can you not understand the vast gulf between "R's and D's are not the same" (what Monkeyleg essentially said), and "R's are great"? 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 01:19:02 AM »
Silver Bullet, I was being sarcastic about the difference. The sarcasm was directed toward participants in a different thread, which is probably why you didn't detect it.

Gotcha.  I guess I'm not well read.   =)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 11:17:35 AM »

McCain/Feingold is technically known as the "Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act".  Unlike most stupidly named bills, this name is actually pretty accurate.  The bill was bipartisan, it was passed by both Democrats and Republicans alike.

Actually, my memory may be foggy on this, but I believe McCain/Feingold was supported by far more democrats than Republicans.

EDIT:  I looked up the numbers.  Turns out my foggy memory was correct and I was mistaken about this being a bipartisan bill.  This was a Democrat bill.

In the House, Republicans voted 175 to 41 against the bill, Democrats voted 198 to 12 for it.  In the Senate, Republicans voted 38 to 11 against it, Democrats voted 48 to 2 for it.

Sources:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2002-34
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2002-54

(Tell me again how there's no difference between Rs and Ds...)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:34:52 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »
McCain/Feingold is technically known as the "Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act".  Unlike most stupidly named bills, this name is actually pretty accurate.  The bill was bipartisan, it was passed by both Democrats and Republicans alike.

Actually, my memory may be foggy on this, but I believe McCain/Feingold was supported by far more democrats than Republicans.

EDIT:  I looked up the numbers.  Turns out my foggy memory was correct and I was mistaken about this being a bipartisan bill.  This was a Democrat bill.

In the House, Republicans voted 175 to 41 against the bill, Democrats voted 198 to 12 for it.  In the Senate, Republicans voted 38 to 11 against it, Democrats voted 48 to 2 for it.

Sources:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2002-34
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=s2002-54

(Tell me again how there's no difference between Rs and Ds...)

So, you're saying it wasn't a Republican who cosponsored the the anti free speech, incumbent protection act?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

PTK

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 11:41:50 AM »
I'm doing a little dance right now.

One down, about two million bad laws to go...
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »
So, you're saying it wasn't a Republican who cosponsored the the anti free speech, incumbent protection act?

The Senate version was sponsored by one R and one D, with a lot of other R's and D's co-sponsoring as well.  The House version, which actually passed, was originally sponsored by an R named Christopher Shays.  

How does this detract from what HTG just said?  

More childishness...  
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
The Senate version was sponsored by one R and one D, with a lot of other R's and D's co-sponsoring as well.  The House version, which actually passed, was originally sponsored by an R named Christopher Shays.  

How does this detract from what HTG just said?  

More childishness...  

Oh, grow up! =D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:47:59 PM by Sergeant Bob »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »
R's & D's?  McCain and Bush are both, yes, liberals in everything that really matters.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
Both sides of the aisle bear responsibility for the legislation.  But it remains the legacy of one president who signed the legislation in spite of his opposition and questions of constitutionality . . . . George 43th. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:19:15 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon