Author Topic: Ipod Touch!  (Read 12126 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Ipod Touch!
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:53:43 AM »
I just got an Ipod Touch and...wow!  This thing is amazing.  I bought it for the PDA functionality and I'm suitably impressed.  I have it set to pull my Verizon and Gmail accounts, sync with my Gmail contacts, and pull down my Google Calendar.  It does all that well.  The built-in apps (weather, youtube, Safari, etc) work well.  I don't feel like I'm using dumbed down versions of Internet services like I did with smart phones or older PDAs.  Oh, yeah, it works fine as an MP3 player, picture viewer, and all that.  ;)

I have apps for Wikipedia, NPR News, Kindle, Bank of America (along with a standard checkbook app), UrbanSpoon (restaurant finder), Scany (a network scanner, works well enough to kick off my server's iptables portscan rule and block me), a dictionary app, Google Earth, a Facebook interface, and a bunch of games (Call of Duty W@W Zombies, Skee-Ball, Kim Rhode Hunting (if you unlock it, you can use a minigun or rocket launcher to go after game), Wolfenstein 3d, Bowling, Crush the Castle).

I may have to get one of these for SWMBO.  She's not a computer or gadget person, but she's pretty impressed by it.  Even the kids like it.  I was pulling up Elmo (sesame street) videos for the youngest one while at a restaurant the other night.  The older child likes the games (loves the hunting game).

Itunes is kind of annoying, but not in any critical way.  I also don't like how it organized my pics.  I have them segregated by year, then event, but on the iTouch, there are no subdirs under the year folders.  Not a huge deal, just an annoyance.  Otherwise, this thing is amazing.

Sure, it isn't a smartphone with always-on connectivity, but there's enough free wifi (Borders, McD's, etc) to get connected enough to check mail and such while out and about.  The IT guy at work said he would work with me to get it connected through the Crackberry gateway (it works with Iphones, it should work with the iTouch).

What other apps are good?  I'm mainly interested in network apps (need a good ssh client for example), and stuff for work (anything good for client management, especially if it will interface with Access). 

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Ipod Touch!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
I have often pondered the concept of an internet media tablet.  Something small that I could carry about and primarily use for Net browsing, email responding and the like.  Amazon is blowing out the Archos 5 right now for $ 200, and Dell is supposed to be coming out with a 5" tablet later this year.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »
Saw a 64gb ipod touch at Costco today.  :O

One of my co-workers has a touch. It's pretty impressive, especially how smoothly it does web browsing. I am very tempted to buy one to browse the web when around town, and to keep pictures on (and music, I suppose).

Same co-worker just bought a google phone for his wife. Now that is a slick piece of hardware. I couldn't stand being stuck with the required service contract though.

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
The simcity game is pretty good. 

Browser is excellent.  (other than the mindblowing lack of flash support)  The file organization on it sucks.

iPhone is the most useful thing I've ever purchased... on a family plan I'm only paying $55 a month for it.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:14:27 PM »
Same co-worker just bought a google phone for his wife. Now that is a slick piece of hardware. I couldn't stand being stuck with the required service contract though.

I'm assuming your talking about the Nexus One.
I really looked into that as I'm planning on upgrading from my t-mobile Wing in the near future
Sucks that they won't sell them anyother way than the two plans that they offer.
An outright buy for $500something or $199 with a t-mobile plan.
But only the plan they feature with it which is 500minutes & the data/text plan for about $80
I pay $50 now for unlimited anytime. I expected to add another $25 for the data. And $5 for 400 text.
But they won't budge on the marketing scheme just yet :(
I don't really care a bout contracts anymore since we are satisfied with their service and coverage and will have a phone till the day we retire or die whichever comes first :p

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:16:57 PM »
I may have mis-spoken. He is on Sprint, IIRC, and the phone is by HTC, also IIRC.

Silver Bullet

• friend

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »
I may have mis-spoken. He is on Sprint, IIRC, and the phone is by HTC, also IIRC.

The Nexus One is by HTC too   they make all the cool phones
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »
they make all the cool phones

You're in the wrong thread, Bud.   :police:

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »
You're in the wrong thread, Bud.   :police:

Dude, you're at APS. Thread drift is the topic.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 12:07:56 AM »
Dude, you're at APS. Thread drift is the topic.

Oh look, something shiny! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipuRvpwK-EQ

:P
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 12:59:45 AM »
I wonder what Costco gets for a Touch. Don't really need one, but I do have a birthday coming up...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 01:24:56 AM »
Dude, you're at APS. Thread drift is the topic

Yeah, okay, but when I do that, I get smacked.   ???

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 09:02:42 AM »
Yeah, okay, but when I do that, I get smacked.   ???
*slap*

Stay on topic...

=D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
My stepkids both have Ipod Touches - David bought his at an airport VENDING MACHINE, in fact, coming back from visiting his grandparents in FL (their dad gives them a pretty nice allowance, and neither one spends much of it on a regular basis).  They both like it, but seem to mostly use it for Itunes and little games.  Although, there was that one time David was checking out Wifi connectivity and made some comment about a WSJ article on the stock market.  Lori and I were both mightily amused.

I thought long and hard about getting an Iphone, but I'm pretty well married to the Verizon network (their coverage is better, and my family, except for my sister, is all on it so I can talk to them for free), and I've got a thing about being able to add or replace storage and batteries, neither of which can be done with the Iphone/Ipod.  Instead, I finally took the plunge on the Motorola Droid a few weeks ago, and once I added a few apps for the things I do, I've found that I can replace both my old phone (an LG 8600, I believe it was - which Rhodey used in 'Iron Man', amusingly enough) and my PDA (an HP Ipaq 211).  A $15 program called 'Documents To Go' gives me the ability to read, create, and modify Word, Excel, PDF, and Power Point documents, which I could do with the Windows Mobile versions of MS Office programs on my PDA; a $2 program lets me play movies and video clips, although I had to convert my movies from Windows Media or .MOV to MP4/Ipod format using a program I already had at home; I have several different free games, a free book reader program, Google's Android browser/email/OS setup - including their free GPS Navigation, which was one of the deciding factors for me to get this instead of one of the Windows Mobile smartphones - plus calendar, cell- or WiFi-based internet capability, and assorted other goodies.  There are apparently between 10-20,000 paid or free apps in the Android Marketplace, many of which suck, but I've found plenty that are really useful and/or cool - not nearly as many as Apple's App Store, but Android hasn't been around as long, of course.  Removable microSD storage up to 32GB (came with a 16GB chip already in place), user-replaceable batteries which give over a day of pretty heavy use, or probably 2-3 days of more-typical use.  The docking station turns the phone into a rather nice clock with day or night screens (day's bright, night's dimmer), alarm, music, and local weather, which I find I'm liking much better than my dedicated alarm clock.  I'm having a blast with it, frankly, and really like that technology has advanced enough that I can get a converged device that'll do everything I need (okay, WANT) it to do.  I miss being able to write on the screen by touch, but the onscreen keyboard works much better than I'd expected and the Droid has a slide-out physical (landscape-layout) keyboard which also is easy for me to use.  All in all, this is one heck of a neat toy.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 10:17:06 AM »
I heard a rumor that VZ is getting the Iphone soon.  I wanted an Android, but I didn't want to pay for the data plan (especially since it has wifi).

Lack of battery replacement is annoying, but over the past decade of using PDAs and cellphones, I haven't had any battery issues.  My 2yo Palm Centro still has a strong battery (can go a weekend of normal voice/pda use).  The Treo 600 before it also had a strong battery after 2yrs.  I think battery technology has improved to the point that the device will be obsolete before the battery is toast.

Chris

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »
Chris,

I use TouchTerm as the ssh client on my iTouch.  I can't say it's a good client, but it's the best one I've played with.  It won't do things like port tunneling (the way the SSH client on my Droid will) which makes it almost useless.  The fact that the iTouch has only the on-screen keyboard takes the ssh client all the way to useless for anything but the most rudimentary of tasks (using vi, for instance, is so painful that it'd be easier and faster to walk to the server, wherever it is, and log in).

What are you using to sync your google calendar with the iTouch?  I haven't been able to get that working.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 11:04:20 AM »
The touch is a great data appliance
and a crappy ipod

no click wheel? I can run my nano in the dark in my car
I use my touch for images movie watching and web surf/email
(other than the mindblowing lack of flash support)

flash support on this platform would result in an 18 minute battery life
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 11:18:20 AM »
Chris,

I use TouchTerm as the ssh client on my iTouch.  I can't say it's a good client, but it's the best one I've played with.  It won't do things like port tunneling (the way the SSH client on my Droid will) which makes it almost useless.  The fact that the iTouch has only the on-screen keyboard takes the ssh client all the way to useless for anything but the most rudimentary of tasks (using vi, for instance, is so painful that it'd be easier and faster to walk to the server, wherever it is, and log in).

What are you using to sync your google calendar with the iTouch?  I haven't been able to get that working.

No sweat on the SSH client then.  I would only be using it to log into my server at home while out of the house.  I rarely have a huge need to do that though.  I use this method for the calendar sync: http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2009/06/30/how-to-sync-google-calendar-with-iphone-calendar/

The touch is a great data appliance
and a crappy ipod

I don't know if I'd call it "crappy", bit it certainly isn't as good as a dedicated mp3 player.  I bought it more for the data uses.  MP3 functionality is a bonus.

Chris

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 11:24:36 AM »
I use this method for the calendar sync: http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2009/06/30/how-to-sync-google-calendar-with-iphone-calendar/

Oh, sweet!  Thanks.  The last time I tried, it was back before the OS 3.0 update.  Good to know they added something this basic to the OS so I don't have to use a crappy third-party app.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 11:38:46 AM »
No prob.  I went ahead and grabbed touchterm.  I won't need it often, but it'll be handy for those times I need to move files from storage to the web server so someone can download them.  Now I won't have to wait till I'm home...

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »
I am waiting for a nice Droid phone ot be available via SPrint.  I require a keypad, though.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

erictank

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 08:08:58 AM »
I am waiting for a nice Droid phone ot be available via SPrint.  I require a keypad, though.

What, a hard keypad?  A physical one?  Droid doesn't have that (you can type numbers on the keyboard using the Alt key, but I haven't tried dialling a phone number with them, and don't know if it's possible.

Just tried, and it DOES work, without using Alt (so, 1 keypress per number, rather than 2 - it defaults to numeric entry rather than text in phone mode, which I hadn't tried).  Still a pain, as the number keys are arrayed in a straight row across the top of the keyboard (the QWERTY row, that is). 

I've had no problem with touchscreen entry, myself, but I understand that plenty of people don't like it, and it's certainly much more difficult to dial without looking at the screen.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"