Author Topic: US Lifts Haggis Ban  (Read 4917 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
US Lifts Haggis Ban
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:24:07 PM »
There was a ban???  :laugh:

-------------------
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/24/america-haggis-ban-lifted-burns

US to lift 21-year ban on haggis

Burns' night boost for famous Scottish dish that fell victim to BSE fears

* Buzz up!
    * Digg it

* Severin Carrell, Scotland correspondent
    * guardian.co.uk, Sunday 24 January 2010 18.23 GMT
    * larger | smaller
    * Article history

Haggis

Haggis and its traditional accompaniment, whisky. Haggis was banned by US authorities in 1989 because they feared its main ingredient - minced sheep offal - could prove lethal. Photograph: Marco Secchi/Getty Images

Smuggled and bootlegged, it has been the cause of transatlantic tensions for more than two decades. But after 21 years in exile, the haggis is to be allowed back into the United States.

The "great chieftan o' the puddin-race" was one of earliest casualties of the BSE crisis of the 1980s-90s, banned on health grounds by the US authorities in 1989 because they feared its main ingredient ‑ minced sheep offal ‑ could prove lethal.

Some refined foodies might insist it always has been and always will be: in the words of Robert Burns, in his Ode to a Haggis, looking "down wi' sneering, scornfu' view on sic a dinner". But now, as millions of Scots around the world prepare to celebrate Burns's legacy tonight with an elaborate, whisky-fuelled pageant to a boiled bag of sheep innards, oatmeal, suet and pepper, its reputation has been restored, on health grounds at least.
Severin Carrell on the US lifting Scottish haggis ban, imposed during BSE scare Link to this audio

For the past two decades, Americans of Scottish descent ‑ of whom there are at least 6 million ‑ have been forced to celebrate Burns' night without a true haggis, much to their distress.

There are stories of Scots smuggling in a haggis for their starving cousins, risking deportation in the process. Others are said to have secretly tried to create homemade, bootleg haggis, desperate to sample that particularly peppery concoction.

Meanwhile, butchers in the US have tried, and failed, to make their own versions of the pudding without using the vital ingredient: sheep. "It was a silly ban which meant a lot of people have never tasted the real thing," said Margaret Frost, of the Scottish American Society in Ohio. "We have had to put up with the US version, which is made from beef and is bloody awful."

The long-running campaign by Scottish ministers to reverse the ban has been reinvigorated by Alex Salmond, the Scottish National party leader, since he became first minister, privately lobbying US officials during his visits there. The reverse in policy from the US department of agriculture is now expected by Salmond's government after the World Organisation for Animal Health decided that sheep lungs no longer carry a risk of contamination by scrapie, a close variant of mad cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy.The latest sales figures suggest haggis is more popular now than ever.

Nearly £9m worth were sold in the UK alone last year, the 250th anniversary of Burns' birth, up by 19% on 2008. Richard Lochhead, the Scottish environment secretary, was delighted. "I am greatly encouraged to hear that the US authorities are planning a review of the unfair ban on haggis imports," he said. "We believe that reversing the ban would deliver a vote of confidence in Scottish producers, and allow American consumers to sample our world-renowned national dish."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: US Lifts Haggis Ban
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:40:28 PM »
Change you can believe in.  :laugh:

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »
doesn't haggis count as a wmd? >:D
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:55:32 PM »
I'[m not sure I I would want to pay to sample an imported haggis, seeing as how I have access to home-made haggis with all the "correct" ingredients, as well as some extremely smooth 21+-year-old single malt not only on Burns' birthday but at various times in the life-cycle of a sheep herd, and an actual Scot who knows how to make the darned thing.

It aint bad, but I never saw any reason to load a blunderbuss and agitatate for lifting a ban.

If anybody does buy an imported haggis please either invite me for a taste or send me some leftovers.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:01:44 PM »
Just in time for Burn's night. Probably too late to get a real haggis expressed to me for tonight though.  =(

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
I have had haggis along with a dark Scotch ale in Edinburgh.  Pretty darn good if you ask me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
No good will come of this. 

Unless we replace it with a sauerkraut ban. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 09:38:52 PM »
No good will come of this. 

Unless we replace it with a sauerkraut ban. 

I am definitely with you on a rotten cabbage ban! =D

If Haggis was banned, I wonder why not Mexican Chorizo? Different constituancy perhaps?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41:04 PM »
Forget sauerkraut.  Ban kimche.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 09:49:18 PM »

The Okonomiyaki can go too. Sauerkraut is still good for cooking sausage in.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 09:49:48 PM »
You mean that there are no sheep in the US that we couldn't produce domestically made haggis during the ban ??

Like no one in the US could read the recipe and copy it ??

;/ ;/ ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »
Question is, why would you want to?  :laugh:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 09:57:46 PM »
You mean that there are no sheep in the US that we couldn't produce domestically made haggis during the ban ??

Like no one in the US could read the recipe and copy it ??

;/ ;/ ;/
I figured it was one of those products that only comes out right when made with native ingredients.

For instance, nobody in the US can manage to make prosciutto that tastes right, even though we have way more pigs than the Italians do.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 10:03:01 PM »
I figured it was one of those products that only comes out right when made with native ingredients.

For instance, nobody in the US can manage to make prosciutto that tastes right, even though we have way more pigs than the Italians do.

I think running a sheep (or the leftovers, after all the good edible parts have been removed) through a blender, adding some oatmeal and a few spices can't be that hard can it ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 10:10:48 PM »
You'd think distilling some mushy grains wouldn't be all that hard, either.  Yet only Scots in Scotland manage to make good Scotch.

Good cigar tobaccy generally only comes from Carribean islands.

The best wines only come from certain corners of the world.

I've no idea why such things work out that way, but they do.  Maybe haggis is no different.  The article does mention that American attempts to duplicate the stuff are "bloody awful".
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:37:35 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 10:22:27 PM »
I think running a sheep (or the leftovers, after all the good edible parts have been removed) through a blender, adding some oatmeal and a few spices can't be that hard can it ??

Why do I see Scotty manning the blender?  "I'm giving it all she's got, Cap'n.  She's gonna blow!"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 10:28:40 PM »
I truly do love Haggis. I had some with the family around Christmas time.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 01:07:49 AM »
The Okonomiyaki can go too.

Sacrilege, I say!  Sacrilege!  How can you disparage okonomiyaki?  The last time I had a truly decent version of that wonderous concoction was in Hachioji, Japan in 1996.  It was a Wednesday night ritual after work.  Sigh...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 07:47:09 AM »
Sacrilege, I say!  Sacrilege!  How can you disparage okonomiyaki?  The last time I had a truly decent version of that wonderous concoction was in Hachioji, Japan in 1996.  It was a Wednesday night ritual after work.  Sigh...

The last time I tried okonomiyaki was when Yumiko was visiting my parents, and that was about the only thing didn't like, and she made it with the stuff she brought from Japan. We still get packages from them every once in a while, and we send stuff they can't get there. A common request is Maple Syrup, the real stuff, not flavored HFCS.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »
Off with his heathen head!

How dare you insult the all honorable deliciousness of kimche?!?

Next you'll be bad mouthing Ojingeochae
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »
The average garbage dumpster smells more appetizing than kimche.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »
Whats your point?  ???
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »
From the Scottish Rebel, Alton Brown....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/haggis-recipe/index.html

Haggis
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Prep Time: 30 min Inactive Prep Time: 12 min Cook Time: 5 hr 0 min Level:
Difficult Serves:
Depends on how much you throw Ingredients
1 sheep stomach
1 sheep liver
1 sheep heart
1 sheep tongue
1/2 pound suet, minced
3 medium onions, minced
1/2 pound dry oats, toasted
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried ground herbs
Directions
Rinse the stomach thoroughly and soak overnight in cold salted water.

Rinse the liver, heart, and tongue. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook these parts over medium heat for 2 hours. Remove and mince. Remove any gristle or skin and discard.

In a large bowl, combine the minced liver, heart, tongue, suet, onions, and toasted oats. Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Moisten with some of the cooking water so the mixture binds. Remove the stomach from the cold salted water and fill 2/3 with the mixture. Sew or tie the stomach closed. Use a turning fork to pierce the stomach several times. This will prevent the haggis from bursting.

In a large pot of boiling water, gently place the filled stomach, being careful not to splash. Cook over high heat for 3 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes, if you serve it at all.

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »

Nah, just deep kimche.

Whats your point?  ???

Um, maybe he likes the smell of garbage dumpsters?  :P =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
To echo Ben -- "There was a ban?"

The "great chieftan o' the puddin-race" was one of earliest casualties of the BSE crisis of the 1980s-90s, banned on health grounds by the US authorities in 1989 because they feared its main ingredient ‑ minced sheep offal ‑ could prove lethal.

Meanwhile, butchers in the US have tried, and failed, to make their own versions of the pudding without using the vital ingredient: sheep. "It was a silly ban which meant a lot of people have never tasted the real thing," said Margaret Frost, of the Scottish American Society in Ohio. "We have had to put up with the US version, which is made from beef and is bloody awful."

So, let me get this straight: There was a problem involving Bovine (meaning "cows"/"beef") Spongiform Encephalitis, so the government of the United States banned ... sheep?

I forgot ... "I'm from the government, I'm here to help."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design