Author Topic: MacHeads, the movie  (Read 7086 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
MacHeads, the movie
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
http://www.hulu.com/watch/94300/macheads

A film that seems determined to make Apple users look like crazed losers.  Not that I have a problem with that.   =)

I think the second person interviewed really drives that home. It gets worse from there.   =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: MacHeads, the movie
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:06:41 PM »
A film that seems determined to make Apple users look like crazed losers.

We're not crazed losers !   :mad:
=D

I've used Macs at home since 1988, and PCs at work since 1990.  I've had "home computers" (one of the original terms) since 1980.  But even I only made it through the first seven minutes of that film.    :laugh: 

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
I thought it was pretty entertaining.  It's interesting how the Mac zealots seem to focus on the "experience" of Macs and not on what, if anything, they actually do better.  It would be nice to see some interviews of some network admins or guys who run server farms in large corporations and see what they think about Macs.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:44:09 PM »
The network IT guys prefer PCs, because PCs require a lot more IT admins to keep running.   ;)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:15:35 PM »
I think a guy (or gal) should use whatever computer and OS floats their boat. I haven't watched the video yet, but the only Mac people that bother me are the ones who talk about all the great things a Mac can do, but they can't make it do any of those great things.

For instance when I'm told how a, "Mac is Unix" and I ask the individual to pop open a window and list a directory, they give me a blank stare and begin to drool a little bit. If you can't use the BSD, then your Mac is not Unix. Also when they, with an air of superiority,  throw out terms like "Time Machine" as if Apple invented backup prgs. It's a nifty enough backup prg, but there are nifty backup programs for every OS.

If you like and enjoy your Mac, more power to you. When you turn owning your Mac into the South Park Prius episode, you just annoy everyone and give other Mac users a bad name. The personality type isn't indicative of Mac users, it's more that the personality type is drawn to Macs more than to other computers, and somewhat skews the Mac demographic.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »

The expressions expressed in this expression may not exactly express the expressions of the expressor.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
I think a guy (or gal) should use whatever computer and OS floats their boat. I haven't watched the video yet, but the only Mac people that bother me are the ones who talk about all the great things a Mac can do, but they can't make it do any of those great things.

For instance when I'm told how a, "Mac is Unix" and I ask the individual to pop open a window and list a directory, they give me a blank stare and begin to drool a little bit. If you can't use the BSD, then your Mac is not Unix. Also when they, with an air of superiority,  throw out terms like "Time Machine" as if Apple invented backup prgs. It's a nifty enough backup prg, but there are nifty backup programs for every OS.

If you like and enjoy your Mac, more power to you. When you turn owning your Mac into the South Park Prius episode, you just annoy everyone and give other Mac users a bad name. The personality type isn't indicative of Mac users, it's more that the personality type is drawn to Macs more than to other computers, and somewhat skews the Mac demographic.

The entire movie is about those particular personality types.  Seriously, I can't decide whether or not it's a mockumentary or if it was made by a deluded Mac fan who thinks this makes Mac users look good...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:31:46 PM »
I've used Macs at home since 1988, and PCs at work since 1990.  I've had "home computers" (one of the original terms) since 1980.  But even I only made it through the first seven minutes of that film.    :laugh: 

Yeah, but at least Hot Mac Groupie chick would sleep with you.  (Just keep quiet about the work PC stuff.)

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »
She won't hear it from me.   :P

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:45:42 PM »

Yeah, but at least Hot Mac Groupie chick would sleep with you.  (Just keep quiet about the work PC stuff.)
Wait, are you saying all I gotta do is get a Mac?
I don't know, seems like a lot of trouble.  Do I have to use it?
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

myrockfight

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:50:36 PM »
"Steve knows what we need, before we know we need it."  [barf]

Quote from the Steve Jobs worshiper/Mac head moron.

Why wouldn't it surprise me if he liked his .gov the same way?

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 12:04:22 AM »
Actually.  I just watched the video.  That girl has become reason number 1 to stay away from Macs.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 12:17:30 AM »
Yeah, but at least Hot Mac Groupie chick would sleep with you. 

I feel I must explain myself.  I only said she was hot, in relation to some of the other Mac Groupies in the film.  My standards are, um, not quite that low.   =|

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 12:18:45 AM »

The expressions expressed in this expression may not exactly express the expressions of the expressor.

Lends credence to the numerous comparisons of Macs to "Fisher Price computers."

Powerful machines tend to be complicated.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 12:20:43 AM »
My not so bright sister just did a presentation in our speech class (having the same class as your sibling blows, by the way) on why "Macs are BETTER than PC's". She just started spouting off a bunch of nonsense while I just sat there shaking my head...because she doesn't have a f***ing clue about computers...

Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 12:21:39 AM »
I'm not really qualified to do the OS wars, but isn't one of the challenges for Windows or Linux, is that they have to be compatible with vast amounts of software and hardware?  But Apple tries to keep things much more proprietary.  Correct? 

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 01:01:23 AM »
I'm not really qualified to do the OS wars, but isn't one of the challenges for Windows or Linux, is that they have to be compatible with vast amounts of software and hardware?  But Apple tries to keep things much more proprietary.  Correct? 
Indeed.
Windows has TONS of crap going for it.
I believe Linux has either the same amount or maybe more, but you might need to code some software to help Linux interact with it.
Apple?  You gotta buy Apple stuff.  I enjoyed the "Mac Triage."
When my PC breaks, I open it, fix it.  If I can't fix it, I order the part that's broke and fix it when it arrives.
When their Macs break, it's mail it off for a few weeks and pay billions of dollars for the new parts.

I especially like that picture of the Windows car (an old car) and the Apple car (Some fancy new thing).  The old car looks like you can work on it and change parts, the Apple car is one solid block of metal, how do you work on that?  How do you customize that?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 07:34:40 AM »

It is becoming less so, but the Mac built its reputation on closed systems with proprietary hardware.  Had the Mac OS (later OSX) had to contend with a million different possible platform configurations, we might have a different story.

I've spent nearly 15 years as a paid IT geek and a number of years before that as a hobbyist.  I've used Windows (home and professionally), MacOS (home) and OSX (home), and multiple flavors of *nix (home and professionally, including some types most folks here have never heard of).  I prefer Windows on my desktop and Unix on my server. 

That said, Apple's other stuff is pretty slick.  I lurve me some iTouch.  The ipods in general are nice.  What I've seen of the iPhone from owners makes me want one.  The iPad is neat and shows some out-of-the-box thinking we don't get from most PC manufacturers.  Even the Mac Mini is nice for it's form factor.  The OS just doesn't impress me much.

Chris

taurusowner

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 07:37:58 AM »
When my PC breaks, I open it, fix it.  If I can't fix it, I order the part that's broke and fix it when it arrives.
When their Macs break, it's mail it off for a few weeks and pay billions of dollars for the new parts.

I noticed that too.  They mentioned that they tried to see if it was a problem they could quickly fix on the spot.  This tells me it's a minor problem.  I'm a PC user and I've never had to take a computer to a repair shop for any problem, and I am bu no means some IT type.  That which drives the soul of the Mac cult, their secretive closed proprietary nature, is the same thing that keeps them from the main stream.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 10:25:45 AM »
I feel I must explain myself.  I only said she was hot, in relation to some of the other Mac Groupies in the film.  My standards are, um, not quite that low.

That distraction on her one leg... boils, tats, or hickeys?

DithinkperhapswefoundamateforwildalaskaD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 10:57:30 AM »
That distraction on her one leg... boils, tats, or hickeys?

DithinkperhapswefoundamateforwildalaskaD
Yea.  She was nasty.

As far other apple stuff being nice, I'll have to disagree there, too.
I have a iPod only because it was a gift.  It has way too many functions for the few buttons it has.  And that little touch scroll/volume wheel is awful.
I played with iPod touches.  I absolutely devices with large sensitive screens, especially touch screens, that I can't cover without some kind of third party carrying device.  That's why I prefer clamshell phones to the big honking PDA phones.  Give me one of those that can fold over and protect itself and maybe I'll be interested.

Also, iTunes is a steaming pile of bloating awful software.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 12:28:31 PM »

You have to be the silliest, most uninformed, Apple hater ever.   =D

I only had a Mac break once in 22 years of using them.  The power supply went kaput a week out of warranty.  I made an appointment for the next day with my local Apple Store,  took the Mac in at the appointed time, and they replaced the power supply on the spot and didn't charge me for it.  Ten minute fix.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »
You have to be the silliest, most uninformed, Apple hater ever.   =D

I only had a Mac break once in 22 years of using them.  The power supply went kaput a week out of warranty.  I made an appointment for the next day with my local Apple Store,  took the Mac in at the appointed time, and they replaced the power supply on the spot and didn't charge me for it.  Ten minute fix.

Yea ok.
But I still paid less for a more powerful machine.  Also, all my parts have warranties, too.  The video cards especially as they're lifetime warranties.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 05:56:33 PM »
Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I admit I just really like Windows.  Especially the 7.  It makes me happy. 

So apparently Mac is for people who don't "conform" to the soul-less, big-corporate image of Microsoft products.  The MacHeads think their machines are more "personal."  Well, I guess I don't want my computers to be "personal" or have cutesie names like "Apple."  I want my computers to be "professional."  I want my operating systems to have the word "Professional" in the name. I'm not entirely against "cute" stuff, but even my super-cutesie wife has limits on what ought to be cute, and what ought to be business-like.  For example, she doesn't want her guns to be pink, with unicorns.   

Also, ever notice how prominent Apple computers are in film and television?  Usually, when I see a computer logo onscreen, it's the glowing Apple in somebody's laptop.  Almost every laptop onscreen is a Mac.  Maybe time to rethink the whole idea of Mac as non-conformist. 

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
In all fairness, though, there are some very competent programmers/hackers who have macbook pros as their primary computers.  Of course, they are not Apple's target demographic, being only a blip among the masses of coffee shop and garage band (is that trademarked?) mac warriors.

And oh isn't this cute?  Apple might do their own search engine to protect macheads from Google's evil data mining!  Much better that that data resides with their Cupertino overlords than with their Mountain View overlords, I guess.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Search-Engines/Apple-May-Build-a-Search-Engine-to-Shield-iPhone-Data-From-Google-705980/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:39:10 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)